Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2023, 06:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

King pins bad?

I was told the king pins on the front end would need to be replaced sooner than later by the previous owner. He has turned out to be wrong on a couple things so I'd like to test myself before I pay someone to do this. I've seen a few videos about jacking up the front of the bus. What size jack do I need to check? Do both wheels need to be off the ground? Seems like one at a time would be safer haha. Does anyone have a rough cost to replace? Keep in mind I'm in the southwest where nothing is cheap haha

Desertsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:58 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Year, make and model would be a good start, ainna?
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Around here mom and pop shops love to add king pins to their inspections because it's one of those things thats easy to mark as needing replacing before they REALLY need to be replaced... It's a grey area between "passing safety standards" and being "100% perfect" ... And they can make bank on the labor.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Around here mom and pop shops love to add king pins to their inspections because it's one of those things thats easy to mark as needing replacing before they REALLY need to be replaced... It's a grey area between "passing safety standards" and being "100% perfect" ... And they can make bank on the labor.
This is so true. And not just small shops.

And no, only one wheel needs to be off the ground for the checking. Jack it up off the ground and then use a pry bar and a block of wood to lever the wheel up, while watching the kingpin for play. Sometimes it's just the shims which need replacing, sometimes the kingpin itself, or they might be fine.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:37 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry I keep forgetting to add that haha. 2003 ic it says 200 on the body but 300 on the title. T444e allison 2000
Old 03-20-2023, 08:10 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if its a 444E its a CE200, the CE300 came with a DT466E.

kingpins if left to go to long can ruin the spindle knuckle or ruin the axle itself..

IMO they suck to do on IH but once done they make a huge difference. also get the covers with grease zerks in the top and bottom sides so yiu can properly grease then all through..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:31 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsparky View Post
Sorry I keep forgetting to add that haha. 2003 ic it says 200 on the body but 300 on the title. T444e allison 2000
Amtran service manual - front axle post #3

You will find info here on how to check/ replace your king pins in this thread
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:02 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I've replaced my king pins several years back. I had slop in the right side that was actually between the pin and axle, and wasn't in the bushings or bearing itself. I used a special locktite that was designed to take up excessive clearance on that, and it surprisingly worked. Otherwise I'd have needed to have the hole reamed out for an insert, or gotten a new axle.

Use a jack and a prybar to check. Don't forget to chock the wheels. TBH "good" play is in the thousandths of an inch range, so any slop that you can visibly see is likely no good. Make sure the movement is actually in the pin, and not the wheel bearings. If you're doing one side at a time, and it's a conventional bus, a 6 ton jack should be enough. Do it on a flat, level surface, that's preferably concrete. Use a jack stand too.

FWIW most pins need to be greased with the axle raised anyways. So this jack will have more then one use.

Tight pins make a world of difference to an alignment, drivability, and tire life.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:38 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Ok thanks. I was wondering is this something I would notice while driving?
Old 03-20-2023, 12:25 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Yes, if they're worn, and depending on how worn they are.

Replacing the king pins and rebuilding my gear box(was leaking) made the bus drive night and day differently.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:56 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I've replaced my king pins several years back. I had slop in the right side that was actually between the pin and axle, and wasn't in the bushings or bearing itself. I used a special locktite that was designed to take up excessive clearance on that, and it surprisingly worked. Otherwise I'd have needed to have the hole reamed out for an insert, or gotten a new axle.

Use a jack and a prybar to check. Don't forget to chock the wheels. TBH "good" play is in the thousandths of an inch range, so any slop that you can visibly see is likely no good. Make sure the movement is actually in the pin, and not the wheel bearings. If you're doing one side at a time, and it's a conventional bus, a 6 ton jack should be enough. Do it on a flat, level surface, that's preferably concrete. Use a jack stand too.

FWIW most pins need to be greased with the axle raised anyways. So this jack will have more then one use.

Tight pins make a world of difference to an alignment, drivability, and tire life.
yea i been turning wrenches over 40 years and will validate this post
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:37 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: Any!
Coachwork: Self!
Chassis: Crown or Gillig!
Engine: Cummins 855, 400 HP or more!
Rated Cap: 36,000 GVRW
Red face

Use a 10 ton bottle jack. Place the Jack under the axle under the spring. Never jack the front up with the Bottle Jack in the center of the axle, if for no other reason that it is safer to have at least one wheel on the ground no matter what.
lift the tire off the ground only twice the thickness of a Tire iron of Pry Bar. Use a pry bar, under the tire, lift up hard enough to look for movement or to hear a clunk noise. Have someone look at the inside of the tire/hub and verify that the movement is indeed coming from the King Pins and NOT from the wheel bearings. If you can see movement in the king pins they are worn out. Most of the time, with proper maintenance (Grease the suspension, regularly!) you will see only a few thousandths of movement. If you see the entire wheel, rim, hub and knuckle assembly jump about a quarter of an inch or more, the KPs are shot! Average cost runs between $600 and $1,200 for this job. Which includes honing the new bushings to fit the new pins. For best king pin life, grease them every 250 hours of operation, grease is cheap, this job is NOT!! I am a mechanic with 46 years experience. I've done this hundreds of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsparky View Post
I was told the king pins on the front end would need to be replaced sooner than later by the previous owner. He has turned out to be wrong on a couple things so I'd like to test myself before I pay someone to do this. I've seen a few videos about jacking up the front of the bus. What size jack do I need to check? Do both wheels need to be off the ground? Seems like one at a time would be safer haha. Does anyone have a rough cost to replace? Keep in mind I'm in the southwest where nothing is cheap haha
BigPaul367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:50 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
Thanks guys for all the great info as usual!

This is a timely post for me because I will be replacing my shocks and will check the king pins at the same time. The right side front shock is toast, those always take more hits on the side of the road, but it will be all new on all four corners.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:48 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
since you'll already have one tire off the ground....try to move the raised tire left and right as if steering...that should show any loose tire rod ends and such that may need attention. On a car, you can do this by hand, on a bus??
BigPaul...how's it done?
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:10 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

One last note here greasing is like changing oil. Pump till clean grease comes out even on u joints as you want all the dirt and old grease to get flushed out. If you don't want a mess just wipe it down when done
Old 03-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

awesome info thank you all. if we are talking minor play would you consider it an immediate need repair or can we get another cross country out of it?
Old 03-27-2023, 05:09 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
"Minor play" Too subjective....what's minor to one person wouldn't be to the next.
Thing is, if it is minor, the repairs could be cheaper now than if you push it too far and cause damage to other involved components.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:57 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

If it ain't shaking at 60 or 65 you probably could get one more trip do grease the hell out of it while on the road
Old 03-27-2023, 06:28 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
"Minor play" Too subjective....what's minor to one person wouldn't be to the next.
Thing is, if it is minor, the repairs could be cheaper now than if you push it too far and cause damage to other involved components.
haha true. I'm an electrician. smoking walls to some people is no big deal. I always forget that most people are not "reasonable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
If it ain't shaking at 60 or 65 you probably could get one more trip do grease the hell out of it while on the road
Ive noticed a minor vibration one or twice but it never repeats consistently. I'll do the test before our summer trip.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:26 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Yeah minor play is definitely subjective.

The spec is in the thousandths range. IMO, minor play would be double that, so .020", which would still be hard to detect with the eye. If you can see movement, you very likely don't have minor play.

Can you take it across country like that? Probably. You could also do it with 6 bald tires and a 20 year old set of v belts. Just know that it's a gamble and there could be consequences.