Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Kingpin Part # ID

I need to have the kingpins replaced on my bus. It's a 1993 International Navistar DT 360. VIN Number 1HVBDPLN1PH485283

Is there a way to look up the part number based on the VIN? The mechanic said that he would need to take the kingpins out to measure them for the correct part, but since I live in my bus I'll have to take it in once to do that, put it all back together, wait on the part, then come back again for the actual work.

Quoted price was $1200 for kingpins, and another potential $300 if the bearings are shot too.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
I highly doubt it's necessary to remove the king pins to measure them to find the replacements, granted this is an older bus so looking up parts might be harder. An International dealer should able to give you the right part number. Also check the bus for a sticker like this, which will tell you what the model number of the front axle is.

Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
the axel was made by dana not ih. there should be a front axel code on the bus or in the line sheet. the line sheet can be obtained from a cooperating ih dealer [not all are] the line sheet will come from your complete vin. any good axel shop or mechanic can find and tell you what size they are and if the kingpins are worn the bearings are shot [makes me wonder if your getting set up for upcharges?] shop around or this job.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
2X what it should cost. All the king pin sets I just looked up come with the bearings so----. Find out what axle you have and then google yourself loony, Here is a parts vendor who seems to know what he is talking about though I haven't tried him.
Jack

Here is his website: https://nickstruckparts.com/collecti...l-king-pin-set
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:52 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
the axel was made by dana not ih. there should be a front axel code on the bus or in the line sheet. the line sheet can be obtained from a cooperating ih dealer [not all are] the line sheet will come from your complete vin. any good axel shop or mechanic can find and tell you what size they are and if the kingpins are worn the bearings are shot [makes me wonder if your getting set up for upcharges?] shop around or this job.
i'll call around to IH tomorrow to ask for the line sheet info. my rear gears were spicer, so would my front axle be spicer as well?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It could be.

But as said, your best bet is to find a dealer that will tell you the axle model number. Maybe even ask them what they charge for a king pin kit. Use a stemco king pin kit, so you don't have to search for a bushing reamer.

The bearings should come with the pins in a kit.

Unless he's talking wheel bearings.

As far as cost is concerned, I'd prefer not to give you an estimate. If your pins are anything like mine were, someone is going to have a fun time. My left side was rusted solid in the axle and the right side fell out from too much clearance. That turned it into a couple day endeavour.

If everything goes right you can remove and install a set of pins in an hour or two. But any problems and that gets thrown right out the window.