Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2023, 11:17 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Chassis: 30ft International FE | Gear Ratio 4.63
Engine: INTL DT466 HT 215HP/2400 GOV
Rated Cap: GVWR: 34220
Last Maintenance Before Full Timing

Hey all!

In about 2 months I will be done with my bus and plan to head out on my full time adventure. I have a 2002 30ft FE international with a dt466e and md3060 pairing.

My question is what type of maintenance do you consider needed to be done before heading out?

I already have done the basics like fluids.

I do plan on replacing the radiator with either a new split radiator or upgrading to a full size and putting the intercooler in front. While I have the radiator off I will replace the thermostat just cause. What else should I replace while the radiator is taken off? and what extra parts should I just have on hand? My fan clutch is always engaged should I replace that and the heavy metal fan?

My ICP sensor went bad and I replaced it. I plan on getting another to have on hand. Any other sensors worth having?

nconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
All water hoses and belts.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
grease everything you can find and check kingpins and bushing rear end seals, brake pads,
air hoses, filter dryer cartridge if you have one.
cheaper now than having to get a road side mechanic or a tow.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Check front wheels, bearing lube oil

If your gonna do the engine thermostat, replace hoses then I would also consider replacing the EGR thermostat too.

Great time for a complete coolant flush/clean of the block!
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:42 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Pretty much what everyone said here. I changed trans. filter, trans oil, very least check diff oil.

If you have hyd. brakes, check to make sure caliper slides move freely. I noticed better brake performance just doing that task alone when my slides were siezed. Check steel lines. Steel lines fail if the OD measurement is larger or smaller then a steel line with no rust on it. A steel line with rust discoloration still passes if the OD size is still the same on the same line with no rust.

With your belt pulled, check tensioners, idler pullies, check fan hub bearings and for play.

I went front to back and checked all under body wiring for securement, corrosion, poor condition.

Inspect for any leaks

Inspect U-joints for play or seizure(yes, I dropped my drive shaft), check hanger bearings and rubber isolators for deteriation when drive shaft is removed.

If you have air bags, check for exposed braids on the bags them selves and replace. Check height control valve/rod for wear, loose joints.

If your state does periodic inspections, you may go to a garage and ask for a photo copy of this inspection. It should cover all mechanical aspects for safe operation of the bus on road ways. Will likely not cover the general maintenance items like oils, belts, hoses and so on.

DT466E uses camshaft position sensor and I believe a crankshaft position sensor, these sensors are cheap and required for injection timing of the injectors.

This was IMO the T444E and powerstroke achilles heal as it only had the camshaft sensor for injection timing so it had no redundancy. Camshaft sensor fails, you were stuck on the side of the road.

DO NOT purchase Dorman sensors, garbage.

Last but not least, Pull your DOT date codes on your tires and check to see how old they are. The tires on my bus are 10 years old on the steer, 14 years old on the rear. Going to be replacing them in the spring before going on a long trip.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Based on a recent failure of my own: see what shape the auto-purge valve on your compressor is in and maybe have a spare handy.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:50 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 8 seats, 5 wheelchairs
When radiator is off

When the radiator is off and you have easy access to the front of the engine I replaced the serpentine belt, keep the old one for a spare. I replaced the water pump, again, keep the old one for an emergency spare. Anything that's on a bearing turning on the belt has a bearing or bearings on it, tensioner pulley, idoler pulleys, replace every pulley there. You don't have to replace the pulleys, the bearings can be removed and replace with new bearings only. Might have to find a friend with a bearing press but while you have easy access that is the time to put new stuff on the front of the engine!
1dmpo is offline   Reply With Quote