Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 04:44 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International / IC
Chassis: IC Corporation/Blue Bird
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 19 + wheelchair capacity
Leaks. Like, a lot of them. 😱

Hi guys.

So, I made it from south Louisiana to the Calgary area with absolutely no problems. It took a few days, but it went very well. After I got to my destination, the bus was parked in front of the house for a couple days before I needed to use it again. Naturally, there's snow everywhere. This allowed me to see, when removing the bus, that there were leaks all over the place. Various colors. I'm fairly certain it's motor oil, diesel, and coolant. Possibly transmission as well. All of it it was in the front Footprint of where the bus was parked. I'm at least 15 miles from a service area. I found this out because I was going to take a quick trip and fill up on diesel. I got a couple miles away, but turned around and went back out of fear. All the gauges were completely normal. It did feel like it was riding a little strangely, and I'm pretty sure that was the transmission.

I'm trying not to completely lose my mind and freak out. I'm just a little battered from the process of purchasing and traveling. I don't know what I'm going to do if it's something very serious.

The couple that I'm house-sitting for have recommendations in Strathmore, Alberta. I contacted the official Napa location, as my mechanic is a Napa Certified mechanic. I can't afford to keep spending money left right and sideways on this thing. I won't have anything left if I keep doing this.

Can anyone give me a couple words of encouragement or have you had this experience before? Like I said, all of the gauges were completely normal. I'm not going to let this shatter me. I can't and I won't.

Michael
www.michaelspetandhomecare.com
Attached Thumbnails
20180402_170116.jpg   20180402_171827.jpg   20180402_171825.jpg   20180402_171822.jpg   20180402_172039.jpg  

20180402_172023.jpg   20180402_172142.jpg   20180402_172006_HDR.jpg  

mrmchoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Enjoy the adventure! Or, in this case, the hunt!!

I've been trying to find/fix my leaks for more than a year. Someday, I will have them all fixed and then my life will be empty....

Ha!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Oh Lord.

I'm f***ed.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Buy some foamy engine cleaner crawl under neath and squirt it good then spray it of real good and start it up and see where the leaks are coming from. Acommon place to leak transmission fluid is the seal on the tailcone of the transmission. Oil out the vent tube if it is a high mile age engine. Oil leaks front and rear is usually seals this can be a big job because of disassebly required. Anti freeze leaking maybe a shot water pump or leaky radiator hose.
You need to clean to see where it is leaking and then go from there.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:11 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Mine leaked to but I beat it into submission.
Attached Thumbnails
20170820_121504.jpg   20171110_160638.jpg  
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
If it were mine, one of the first I would address is the hose in pic 5 with the red hose wire tied over the black. It's got a pretty good bulge at the fitting. Fortunately, it's got a screw type hose clamp.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Degrease and look over it well. Have been told trans put some ac dye in it then look over with black light. I doubt it will do anything for the fuel. Coolant put a pressure tester on it pump up and wait and watch.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Wow. It looks so clean.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmchoohaa View Post
Hi guys.

So, I made it from south Louisiana to the Calgary area with absolutely no problems. It took a few days, but it went very well. After I got to my destination, the bus was parked in front of the house for a couple days before I needed to use it again. Naturally, there's snow everywhere. This allowed me to see, when removing the bus, that there were leaks all over the place. Various colors. I'm fairly certain it's motor oil, diesel, and coolant. Possibly transmission as well. All of it it was in the front Footprint of where the bus was parked. I'm at least 15 miles from a service area. I found this out because I was going to take a quick trip and fill up on diesel. I got a couple miles away, but turned around and went back out of fear. All the gauges were completely normal. It did feel like it was riding a little strangely, and I'm pretty sure that was the transmission.

I'm trying not to completely lose my mind and freak out. I'm just a little battered from the process of purchasing and traveling. I don't know what I'm going to do if it's something very serious.

The couple that I'm house-sitting for have recommendations in Strathmore, Alberta. I contacted the official Napa location, as my mechanic is a Napa Certified mechanic. I can't afford to keep spending money left right and sideways on this thing. I won't have anything left if I keep doing this.

Can anyone give me a couple words of encouragement or have you had this experience before? Like I said, all of the gauges were completely normal. I'm not going to let this shatter me. I can't and I won't.

Michael
www.michaelspetandhomecare.com

i'd for sure address the pic mentioned before with the buldge and hose clamp. looks like there might be zip-ties and rubber fastened further up the hose possibly to try and seal another leak in the hose but it might not be working right. i would check your hoses and clamps and the make sure all the caps on your oil check, tranny check, etc.. is tight.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Dumb question. How do I check the fluids on my engine? I have been trying to get a manual for this engine.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Dumb question. How do I check the fluids on my engine? I have been trying to get a manual for this engine.

your engine oil dipstick is right by the transmission fluid dipstick in red. the circular silver thing with a small handle is the oil. untwist the handle to loosen the pressure, then pull it out. wipe the fluid off, put it back in and then you'll have the level. it should read on the stick if you need more or if its right on. don't forget to tighten the handle back up when you put it on.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you. I was embarrassed to ask. I actually am pretty great with cars, but this is very new to me.

I've been trying my best to gather info online, in both print and video, on the ins and outs of maintenance.

I've tried contacting Navistar directly for the manual, but it appears that no one has been active on the social media for a long time.

I want to know everything I can. I'm going to get an appointment at "County Auto Repairs" in Strathmore, but that's 25 miles from here. My biggest concern re fluids, is that the tranny is okay.

Any ideas on the yellow-ish and red leaks?

Thank you all for helping me feel less idiotic.

Michael
Old 04-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
If leaking like that please make sure to check all before you drive again,including coolant.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: e350 SD
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 18
Hang tough Mike
I am south of Strathmore but I am busy for a few days with clients.
Before you do anything check all the fluids including power steering.
Make sure everything is topped up and remember transmission is checked when running and hot so the level when running cold should be below the add mark but barely.
I agree with another poster about the swollen hose , if it has a misty spray all sorts of things get washed off the engine. Maybe run the engine and look at that hose under pressure...
Did you get the antifreeze tested before you came up here onto the tundra?
County auto repairs has been around forever but is expensive and keeps the school busses in our area on the road.
If you can wait until Friday I can can have a quick look although I am not a licensed mechanic.
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thank you. I was embarrassed to ask. I actually am pretty great with cars, but this is very new to me.

I've been trying my best to gather info online, in both print and video, on the ins and outs of maintenance.

I've tried contacting Navistar directly for the manual, but it appears that no one has been active on the social media for a long time.

I want to know everything I can. I'm going to get an appointment at "County Auto Repairs" in Strathmore, but that's 25 miles from here. My biggest concern re fluids, is that the tranny is okay.

Michael
No problem! Nobody knows everything. You also add oil to it through that dipstick too, unlike a modern car where theres a seperate place to funnel it in.

The red coolant should only be transmission fluid unless they put in ag/construction fuel in your bus. Which is the red dye diesel, nothing wrong with it being red.

The yellow is more than likely coolant, which is probably coming from that suspected hose, or a bad seal/gasket on the water pump.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:

Michael
Think of the bus as a car...after wheaties...bigger parts but same basic set-up...good luck

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

If you think you could help, I'd be forever grateful! I've sunk a huge portion of my meager savings into the purchase and subsequent mechanical check for my trip here.

The shop can't see me until Friday, so if you're really able to check things out, I'd be extremely grateful. Of course, I would be happy to pay you!

Should I postpone my appointment on Friday? I have no problem with that.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
If you think you could help, I'd be forever grateful! I've sunk a huge portion of my meager savings into the purchase and subsequent mechanical check for my trip here.

The shop can't see me until Friday, so if you're really able to check things out, I'd be extremely grateful. Of course, I would be happy to pay you!

Should I postpone my appointment on Friday? I have no problem with that.
I'm in Houston...not much help...sorry

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Your pics do not look that bad really, old stuff leaks. I would keep an eye on the oil levels and track down the coolant leaks first.

Check your coolant hoses, see if they are old an deteriorated. Ones they start leaking it is usually a good idea to fix them asap. They have a tendency to blow on the road and make a big mess.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: e350 SD
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 18
Keep the appointment booked
My Thursday looks light enough I could run out there at some point so we can at least have a look and see if there is something simple and check all fluids.
Remember that Alberta is a dry climate and cold , particularly this year.
Many times people bring cars up here that seem to bleed to death and it’s usually due to a shrinkage problem of seals. Add in synthetic fluids and you can have a full crap your pants situation.
Where are you around here?
George is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, leak, leaks, oil, transmission