Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #21
Skoolie

I like this guy.... I concur on all points.

milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
No "Park" position? Full size? Are you _sure_ they were wet brakes, or did you take this guy's word for it? Was there a large yellow pullout button on the dash somewhere?

I'm sure this will be received as shocking news, but there are people out there who will lie about stuff in order to sell vehicles.
Neither of my buses have Park.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Neutral is the preferred shift when applying the parking brake.

Yes, Virginia, new 22.5 tires will set you back almost $1K EACH. By law, you cannot have recaps on the front axle.
Dude you overpay for stuff.
new name brand tires are only like $400-$500
New chinese are $250 mounted.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #24
Skoolie

What he said.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
wow my super singles on my truck were only 800.00each 1k is what ill pay for all 4 drive tires for my bus
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #26
Skoolie

I took my two front steer Tire casings had them recapped for $60 each.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Park is not present because the transmissions themselves do not have a Parking Pawl physically in them..

the MD3060,AT545,MT643,Allison 2000 series (2100,2500, etc) do not have the park and hold mechaniscm.. you cant add a 'P' to the shifter for this.

the Allison 1000 has the provisions for a parking Pawl.. on Light duty applications like the GMC pickups and Vans(cutaway busses) the parking pawl is installed, the Medium duty applications.. (GMC 7500,8500, navistar BE series) the park pawl is Not typically installed but can be added or is optional;

thus why you wont find a full chassis school with a 'P'..

to park you place the shifter in 'N' and set your external parking brake.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #28
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
i like these

Click image for larger version

Name:	fire-engine-wheel-chocks.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	15858

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #29
Skoolie

I love it that's funny mine is a 4 by 4 two feet long.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I carry those with me in my bus too.. sometimes I have to park in a parking lot on an incline and like the piece of mind with chocks!
-Christopher
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I almost forgot. Correct, most full size buses do not have a driver's door. They simply push the entry door mostly closed and enter/exit through it, or shut it fully and use the emergency exit.
Am I reading this correctly when I assume that this means there is no way to lock your bus from the outside?

I really don't want to get in and out via the emergency exit. That's inconvenient at best, and would require an inefficient usage of rear space at worst.
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #32
Bus Geek

My bus has a locking service door. Depends on how the school ordered the bus.
My big bus has no way of locking the doors.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Am I reading this correctly when I assume that this means there is no way to lock your bus from the outside?

I really don't want to get in and out via the emergency exit. That's inconvenient at best, and would require an inefficient usage of rear space at worst.
When was the last time you heard of someone stealing a school bus? It's pretty uncommon.

Some buses do have door locks. Mine even had an unlocking mechanism but it was disabled (wires cut) when I got it. There are ways of making the door lockable and unlockable. Some school districts just simply opt not to, especially those in low crime areas.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71 passenger / 12 window
Quote:
When was the last time you heard of someone stealing a school bus? It's pretty uncommon.

Some buses do have door locks. Mine even had an unlocking mechanism but it was disabled (wires cut) when I got it. There are ways of making the door lockable and unlockable. Some school districts just simply opt not to, especially those in low crime areas.
True, but I'm not looking at it in terms of how easily THE BUS could be stolen. I highly doubt anybody would try to steal a bus, especially one that's going to look the way mine will if I get one. (I'm a hippie and I intend to paint it in bright colors. It'd stand out for sure.)

I'm looking at it in terms of how easily THE STUFF INSIDE OF IT could be stolen... or perhaps how easily THE PEOPLE INSIDE OF IT could be menaced. Okay, so I'm a gun-carrying hippie, but who ever wants to have to shoot someone even if they can shoot and are prepared to shoot? I'd rather that the locks dissuade a crook and make my life easy.
RomaniGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I lock the emergency door with a rope around it - but I have seen people install a deadbolt.

My service door has a lock on it - which is enough to make people not just walk in - however, if they want to get into my bus - there are several window breaking options that would be easier than busting a small lock...

I have most things secured in the bus - and installed a safe that I bolted to the floor - under the bed - so hard to see / find - harder to remove.

You can install i-hooks on the front and just padlock the door.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
True, but I'm not looking at it in terms of how easily THE BUS could be stolen. I highly doubt anybody would try to steal a bus, especially one that's going to look the way mine will if I get one. (I'm a hippie and I intend to paint it in bright colors. It'd stand out for sure.)

I'm looking at it in terms of how easily THE STUFF INSIDE OF IT could be stolen... or perhaps how easily THE PEOPLE INSIDE OF IT could be menaced. Okay, so I'm a gun-carrying hippie, but who ever wants to have to shoot someone even if they can shoot and are prepared to shoot? I'd rather that the locks dissuade a crook and make my life easy.
While I agree that securing our buses is a wise idea, perhaps the point of my post was lost. I was merely pointing out that school buses are rarely targets for theft and many school districts see little need for high security, so they don't bother. Also, some bus barns/lots are secured, further reducing the likelihood for theft.

Many of us on this forum do add items of value and I completely agree that security becomes a higher priority. There are a number of ways to do this. Just don't get hung up on the idea of a bus not having locks from the factory. Some do, but as a rule they're optional.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #37
Bus Geek

One of the reasons many busses don't have locks is it was illegal in many areas. If a bus crashes there is need for EMT and possibly even the driver themselves to gain access from the outside, thus most busses don't have locking emergency doors or roof hatches, some the emergency windows are even easily popped open .
You will need to set up your own security but also with safety in mind. Ie can you get out if you roll the bus into its right side or if camped out and a fire starts .
Christopher
Old 09-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
One of the reasons many busses don't have locks is it was illegal in many areas. If a bus crashes there is need for EMT and possibly even the driver themselves to gain access from the outside, thus most busses don't have locking emergency doors or roof hatches, some the emergency windows are even easily popped open .
You will need to set up your own security but also with safety in mind. Ie can you get out if you roll the bus into its right side or if camped out and a fire starts .
Christopher
This reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrollton_bus_collision

I won't go into the details here, but it illustrates the need for school buses the be able to evacuate quickly. For this reason, many places, even to this day, do not require passenger seat belts. A driver having to unbuckle 60-70-80+ kids will take precious time which is needed to get out quickly. Commercial airlines hold regular practice drills as they are supposed to be able to completely evacuate an aircraft (regardless of capacity) in under 90 seconds, and for the same reason, schools are generally required to hold drills as well.

It is interesting to note that in light of this crash, Kentucky passed laws requiring school buses to have a minimum of 9 emergency exits, more than any other federal or state standard (front, back, and 1 side door, four windows, and 2 roof exits).
Old 09-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #39
Bus Geek

I pass by the "in memory" sign for that crash quite often..
-Christopher
Old 10-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '91
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:

Check the rear-axle gear ratio if you plan to do much driving in it. A low ratio (higher numerically) will limit your top speed. It can be changed, but figure somewhere between $1000-1500 (or more) to do this. A good cruising ratio with an AT545 will be 4.44:1 or lower (numerically).

How does one check what the rear-axle gear ratio is?
Pygmy Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote