Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Smile Looking for Navistar-Based Fuse Locations

Good morning, all!

We've recently released the Orion Reflash kits and they have been working really well on the 1998-2004 CEC (Single Box) applications. However, we've been having some communications issues with the 2004-2007 2-Box (ECM and IDM) applications relating to the TCM and ABS modules clobbering the messages. To overcome this, we came up with (what we thought was) a short term solution to the issue by removing the fuses for the TCM and ABS modules. (See our post here: Orion Reflash 2004-2007 Update)

However, I discovered something yesterday that I had apparently overlooked before when using Navistar's NavKal software. They actually request that you to disable the Transmission (TCM), ABS, Instrument Cluster (IC), GPS, and other modules before reflashing the ECM or IDM. Either that, or flash the module on the bench. This warning below is directly from their software:

In taking a close look at the communications, there seems to be an issue with bus arbitration (which module has priority to speak), and the Test Tool (programmer, datalogger, etc.) seems to keep getting clobbered.

So at this point, in order to prevent any communications difficulties, we're going to follow the brute-force format used by Navistar and require the TCM, ABS, and possibly GPS fuses to be disconnected during a programming session. We don't have a GPS in our vehicle so I don't have a way to validate the necessity for disabling that system, but the IC, Stand Alone Clock (SART), or Body Controller (BCM) don't seem to be an issue at this time.

With that said, we will do what we can to try to help identify the locations of the necessary fuses that need to be removed, but with so many vehicle options (FE, RE, CE, Truck, etc.) it is a difficult process to undertake. It's especially difficult as Navistar is not very forthcoming with technical information or fuse panel diagrams.

So what I'm asking is: If anyone has a specific vehicle with clearly labelled fuse panels and would like to provide some High-Res images of the Engine Circuit Panel (which usually has the TCM fuse), Body Panel (which usually has the ABS fuse), or even an Owner's Manual Diagram, please let me know! You can PM me the images or e-mail them to me. (PM me for direct e-mail) We will take everything we can get to help build a database of fuse panels and specific fuse locations for the TCM, ABS, and other modules.

Thank you all for your help!

Power Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, navistar, orion, panel, reflash