Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im in I sent you email yesterday and day before on this after we talked in PM..
OP definitely get in touch with this guy^^^

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
The one thing I want to stress is install a Pyro on your bus ! This is experimental power adding.. while the limits of the 7.3 have long been tested in the ford world, the limits of the 466E and the IH 444E have not been so much. Running the exhaust temperature off the scale is a sure way to ruin an engine. The computer does not monitor this parameter. In factory applications all of the scenerio thay the engine will be sold under are tested and EGT maintained.
Installing a pyro gauge in your manifold (note that as pre turbo!) will also help you to help Develop the tunes. Your gearing , engine load, weight, etc all affect EGT. even in my red bus which is running a high output factory tune I can run the EGT up above 1200 if I’m not careful. That bus has a custom trans and custom shift pattern, etc so it’s not a combo that was sold by the factory. If I didn’t watch that I could’ve ruined the engine by now

Also I would not participate in this if you have an AT545 transmission..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Yeah this is definitely a fast-track to a broken 545. Be careful, more isn't always better.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
So, we don't sell directly from the website as we don't generally handle retail sales. Most of are sales are through our dealers, but the Navistar stuff is a little different. It's one of the few things we handle directly.

Just give us a shout when you have a moment and we can get you taken care of.
I had spoke with you via PM here

Do you still wish me to fill out the above form and email it as well?

cheers
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I 2nd this

you simply must include the kid. He is the guru

I want to be involved because I am on the dumb end of the spectrum and can provide valuable "don't try this" feedback lol

but yes, def want caddilac on the team no question
Old 08-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: short
Hi Bill email sent. I had a pleasant surprise when checking my info I have the 210 hp engine in my bus.
syntaxterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
The one thing I want to stress is install a Pyro on your bus ! This is experimental power adding.. while the limits of the 7.3 have long been tested in the ford world, the limits of the 466E and the IH 444E have not been so much. Running the exhaust temperature off the scale is a sure way to ruin an engine. The computer does not monitor this parameter. In factory applications all of the scenerio thay the engine will be sold under are tested and EGT maintained.
Installing a pyro gauge in your manifold (note that as pre turbo!) will also help you to help Develop the tunes. Your gearing , engine load, weight, etc all affect EGT. even in my red bus which is running a high output factory tune I can run the EGT up above 1200 if I’m not careful. That bus has a custom trans and custom shift pattern, etc so it’s not a combo that was sold by the factory. If I didn’t watch that I could’ve ruined the engine by now

Also I would not participate in this if you have an AT545 transmission..
this is good stuff

in our case I would want to "turn it up" to maybe the next level... I can't remember the numbers, most know by now I can't do the numbers well, but I have the lowest of the HP, and I would be happy to just go up a notch now that I have the Allison 2000

So if one is turning up, but not turning it up like franks red hot would you still suggest this gauge? I looked, a bit pricey and not going to unless I need it even for a mild increase
Old 08-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
this is good stuff

in our case I would want to "turn it up" to maybe the next level... I can't remember the numbers, most know by now I can't do the numbers well, but I have the lowest of the HP, and I would be happy to just go up a notch now that I have the Allison 2000

So if one is turning up, but not turning it up like franks red hot would you still suggest this gauge? I looked, a bit pricey and not going to unless I need it even for a mild increase
I'd go for the 230 ST rating if I were you. I've had a 215 ST and allison2000 and that was a fantastic powerplant.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
I 2nd this

you simply must include the kid. He is the guru

but yes, def want caddilac on the team no question

+3.

Chris has great street cred on this site.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:42 PM   #30
Bus Geek

the gauge I suggest only because we are entering unknowns.. even if bill pre-tests all his tunes ahead of time.. we will be the beta testers.. the ones to report back to him on driveability, engine heat, any HPOP defiiciencies or injectors that falter.. all different weights and gear combos and tire sizes and transmissions.. ultimately wit ha diesel engine its pretty easy.. if you give it more fuel its gonna try to burn it.. burning more fuel makes more power.. if your turbo spools up then you get more air so you get more complete combustion.. ie even more power.. fuel burning in cylinders makes heat.. higher RPMs light throttle load, highly spooled turbos you get less heat.. over zealous allison transmissions that like to shift into 6th gear before you have a chance to say boo can result in lugging which results in very high cylinder temps. you want to know this..

I installed my gauge after I tranny swapped.. because i knew that after my trans swap my bus was a one-off there enver was a year 00 running an 04 ECM with a 6 speed allison 1000 running on 3.54 gears with 19.5" tires built.. ever... theres no way the factory couldve tested my combo like they do every other combo that they sell.. now we are going to go into the realm of custom.. curves designed on experience / dyno tests with similar engines / trial and error, and prior knowledge.. our busses are going to be those test units to see if something does in fact go out of bounds.. does running a 300 Horsepower tune with stock AD split shot injectors run the HPOP dry and cause a stall? will the stock allison shift schedule play nice and not cause lugs or high EGTs? how will your MPGs be affected? will you set codes? will the allison set codes (if electronic trans).

theres all kinds of feedback to give them and all kinds of good info to learn.. fortunately for those with T444E, the ford guys have hased out a lot of this on the 7.3 up through the vans and Medium duty F-series (450/550) over the years.. for the DT466E its largely alot of going on how similar engines act.. these guys have been tuning for along time so its not just shots in the dark here.. but for me being able to see how the fuel is burning in the engine is important..

I have a 444E.. it makes me want to go buy a 466E unit just to play with his stuff!
Old 08-12-2020, 03:32 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
I have a 444E.. it makes me want to go buy a 466E unit just to play with his stuff!

It surely is tempting!!!

Another +1 for Chris (CadillacKid) being involved.

Like EastCoastCB said ... if you have a product for a CAT 3126 that needs testing, I'm in!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Talking

Quote:
the gauge I suggest only because we are entering unknowns.. even if bill pre-tests all his tunes ahead of time.. we will be the beta testers.. the ones to report back to him on driveability, engine heat, any HPOP defiiciencies or injectors that falter.. all different weights and gear combos and tire sizes and transmissions.. ultimately wit ha diesel engine its pretty easy.. if you give it more fuel its gonna try to burn it.. burning more fuel makes more power.. if your turbo spools up then you get more air so you get more complete combustion.. ie even more power.. fuel burning in cylinders makes heat.. higher RPMs light throttle load, highly spooled turbos you get less heat.. over zealous allison transmissions that like to shift into 6th gear before you have a chance to say boo can result in lugging which results in very high cylinder temps. you want to know this..

I installed my gauge after I tranny swapped.. because i knew that after my trans swap my bus was a one-off there enver was a year 00 running an 04 ECM with a 6 speed allison 1000 running on 3.54 gears with 19.5" tires built.. ever... theres no way the factory couldve tested my combo like they do every other combo that they sell.. now we are going to go into the realm of custom.. curves designed on experience / dyno tests with similar engines / trial and error, and prior knowledge.. our busses are going to be those test units to see if something does in fact go out of bounds.. does running a 300 Horsepower tune with stock AD split shot injectors run the HPOP dry and cause a stall? will the stock allison shift schedule play nice and not cause lugs or high EGTs? how will your MPGs be affected? will you set codes? will the allison set codes (if electronic trans).

theres all kinds of feedback to give them and all kinds of good info to learn.. fortunately for those with T444E, the ford guys have hased out a lot of this on the 7.3 up through the vans and Medium duty F-series (450/550) over the years.. for the DT466E its largely alot of going on how similar engines act.. these guys have been tuning for along time so its not just shots in the dark here.. but for me being able to see how the fuel is burning in the engine is important..

Just so y'all know, I have talk to cadillackid quite a bit already. He is definitely a sharp cat and I really look forward to his input on our hardware and software.

Now, on with the fun stuff!

The first thing to keep in mind about the application we've developed is that it is not a matter of simply changing the EFRC to the 190/195, 210/215, or 230 HP settings. This application will completely rewrite the calibration in the ECM with tuning we've developed from 24 years of tuning Power Strokes and Navistars. From that point, we can still utilize the EFRC so that the end user can further control the power level that they need for their particular application. This is all easily handled through the software with a simple parameter change, so a power level change takes only a couple seconds.

With the Navistar applications, particularly in heavier base platforms such as a school bus, the major concerns with increased performance would be transmission life and exhaust temps. Here's how this breaks down and why modifying the tuning is so important.

The factory tuning is conservative, to say the least. Much like the Ford tuning (and it's clear that Navistar worked hand in hand with Ford in regards to tuning development from the number of documents I've acquired over the years), there are several gains that can be made just by increasing the efficiency of the combustion process. Minor timing modifications, changes in injection pressure, and restructured fuel curves can all help to not only improve performance, but also increase efficiency and drivability. This is where the modified tuning really shines.

In regards to EGTs, very minor changes to the timing curves can help to control exhaust temps under load. By starting the combustion process a little earlier in the cycle, more of the heat energy is converted into pressure on the piston and less of the hear is wasted as exhaust. This keeps EGTs down while helping both performance and efficiency, and this is even without adding any fuel. 5%-10% gains in power output, 3%-5% gains in fuel economy, and up to 200 Deg. drop in exhaust temps. (pre turbo) can be achieved with only a modest change in the timing curves.

Of course, since we've managed to drop the exhaust temps., we can now look at way to improve power output. Modest changes in injection pressure are the second thing we can look at to not only improve power output, but also efficiency. A 200 PSI change in Injection Control Pressure (ICP) to about a 1500 PSI change at the injector nozzle on the T444e and about 1100 PSI on the DT466. The change in pressure does three things; (1) It slightly advances the timing, (2) it better atomizes the fuel charge, and (3) it slightly increases the fuel volume being delivered. This, again, causes a modest increase in performance and economy without a significant increase in exhaust temps. The gains in temperature drop we achieved with timing adjustments will still be pretty stable.

At this point, with no appreciable increase in fuel volume, we've usually picked up about 20 HP, about 0.8 - 1.0 MPG, and dropped our fully loaded EGTs about 200 Deg. Most people would be pretty happy with this and I wouldn't blame them. However, there is more than can be had out of these engines while still managing EGTs.

Staged changes in the injection pulsewidth tables are where we can see more noticeable power output changes... The kind of changes you can really FEEL. Quicker acceleration and better hill pulling capability are immediately apparent. Of course, with added fuel comes added heat. The more fuel you introduce into the cylinder, the longer it takes to burn and will again come out as heat in the exhaust. We can modify the timing table a little more, but there are limits to that before you start causing other problems with the injection event spraying outside the piston bowl. At this point, it really comes down to being able to monitor the exhaust temps. and understanding when to back off the throttle or when to downshift to keep the RPMs and airflow up, both of which will help to reduce the EGTs.

There are physical modifications to the turbo that can be done to help improve airflow into the engine, which helps reduce EGTs and allows for higher power outputs. These can be accommodated for with tuning as well but is not something most folks on a budget would be interested in, especially if the turbo is working just fine as it is.

Ultimately, our goal is to make the tuning as safe, as reliable, and as efficient as possible without the need for external modifications.

---

Moving on, we will take a look at the transmission. In these applications, particularly the earlier applications, the concern is the torque limitations of the transmission. The Allison transmissions are good transmissions, but when looking at the potential of making 150 Ft./Lbs. of torque over stock, there's not a lot of wiggle room.

Power handling of the AT 545 is rated at 235 HP, but only a measly 445 Ft./Lbs. which is barely enough to handle the output of the engine's peak torque output. This is where things get a little tricky, though. Peak torque generally occurs at about 1600 RPM, according to Navistar's documentation.

Code:
Engine Speed  RPM   700 800 1000 1200 1400 1600 1800 2000 2200 2400 2600 2800
Torque Output Ft/Lb 300 345  403  434  442  456  427  407  376  366  366  319
What this means is that as long as we don't significantly increase the power output of the engine at 1600 RPM or below, we can add power without stepping outside of the boundaries of the tranmission's operating capabilities.

Now, keep in mind that this is power at FULL THROTTLE only. Since the tuning incorporates changes throughout the RPM and Load ranges, there are significant gains to be had in regions that aren't anywhere near the maximum capabilities of the transmission. I'd be happy to discuss these in more detail in another post, if there is interest.

Moving on the the MT 643, the torque limits of this transmission are almost 200 Ft./Lbs. higher than that of the AT 545. You'll find that there is considerably more room for improvements before approaching the maximum torque capabilities of the transmission, so the gains we are capable of achieving aren't at any real risk of overpowering the transmission. Unfortunately, Navistar bus applications run many of the AT 545 transmissions. Swapping to the MT 643, while possible, is not feasible for many skoolies on a budget. The differences involved in swapping between SAE 3 and SAE 2 bellhousings make it a daunting project to say the least. However, there are sever good threads regarding this swap, should you want to go digging.

Many of the later versions run an Allison 1000 or 2000 series transmission, rated at 620 Ft./Lbs. Again, not the greatest as far as capacity, but still should be more than enough to handle the proposed torque output generated by the modified tuning.

---

Given the injector limitations in the majority of the applications we're likely to encounter, the realistic power gains we achieve are usually in the 65-80 HP range at 2200-2700 RPM, and 90-125 Ft./Lbs. in the 1900-2400 RPM range. This is good for moderate cruising and highway driving, but still provides plenty of get-up-and-go for low speed stop-and-go type driving.

We've been offering this type of tuning on the 1994-1997 T444e and DT466 applications for almost 20 years, and we've got this stuff pretty well nailed down as far as what these engines can handle. It's more along the lines of working with the CEC Single-Box setups, making sure the reflash stuff has no quirks and is reliable, and that the user interface is intuitive and easy to understand.

I hope this helps to answer some questions, and will most likely raise some more questions... which is great. It's much easier to deal with well-informed folks.

Take care.
Power Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
You will not hurt an Allison AT545 by bumping the HP on your bus. These transmissions are almost bulletproof.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Well, I'm certainly getting interested in all of this, because the hills out there, yikes!
Also really, really getting interested in a 545 -> 2000 swap.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #35
Bus Geek

all this thats going on now is why several years ago i went to the expense and trouble having my transmission built for me by suncoast..

JM - your trans is not in too much danger because we didnt pump your bus way the heck up in power.. plus you have a big cooler..

keeping the 545 cool is the name of the game.. and not lugging it.. bill makes great points about that.. if you run up the power at higher RPMs tyou are less likely to damage the AT545..

this is all cool as heck stuff.. cant wait to get into it!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:21 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
After reading Bill's excellent long (in a good way) post, I am officially jealous of those that will be participating. I only hope that some day maybe the same will come along for a CAT ... or that I get another bus!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
You will not hurt an Allison AT545 by bumping the HP on your bus. These transmissions are almost bulletproof.
seriously? They only handle modest HP/TQ, that's why engines like the DT had to be de-rated. Would really hate to see a noob burn their "bulletproof" 545. They're only designed to handle up to 450 ft lbs.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
seriously? They only handle modest HP/TQ, that's why engines like the DT had to be de-rated. Would really hate to see a noob burn their "bulletproof" 545. They're only designed to handle up to 450 ft lbs.

heat is the main killer.. im almost convinced that both of my AT545 fasilures are as result of heat.. internal heat not pan heat..

I shouldve probably torn them apart to see exactly what went bust.. actually I did try to pull the front puimp on the DEV bus trans and the bearing was apparently spun and fused to the input shaft as trying to pull it with the book method (2 biolts in special holes made to pop it out) and with a puller both failed..)..

my red bus was a houston bus.. with a weak fan clutch when I got it.. it always ran up there in the 205-210 range even in town on hot days.. si nce it was the fan clutch that way for probably years.. that means the radiator temp was that.. meaning the trans was going to always be hotter.. my dash gauge always read cooler however it was a pan gauge in the bottom of a deep pan.. not the internal temp near the converrter..

the DEV bus is a heavy bus.. i never had a gauge on it.. but ran it over the eastern mountains quite a few times when it finally went bust (at home luckily).. if i were to assume that when the engine in the bus was replaced, they also put a reman trans in it.. would mean it was 14 years old...

automatic transmissions dont have an infinite life span even if you dont break them... the friction discs are wear items like the clutch bedal on a standard.. only more-so since on a standard car you can almost RPM match on every shift even if you still use the clutch. on an automatic you sre always going to slide each gear a little..

excessive heat means you will eat the frictions quickler.. or worse yet warp the steels.. warped steels dont have a good contact pattern with the frictioms.. and now you have a little slip you dont even hardly notice.. but that little slip makes more heat on every shift.. all it takes is for the material to delaminate from one friction to cause quite a decent slip..

if you install big coolers on the trans then you can keep the heat factor down as much as possible .. ther fluid lubricates better, the clutches dont take so much heat.. now if you exceed or come close to the torque limits of the trans esp at low RPM.. since the AT545 poump pressure runs low until you get the revs up, thern all bets are off.. you can actually "over-torque" a clutch.. meaning its engaged and you hammer the torque so hard that you spin the drum from under it.. essentially creating a massive slip.. yeah you will get things smokin-hot in that pack..

Bill seems to have this idea under control as to not punch too much torque at the engine while the RPMs are lower..

the DT-466E makes quite a bit of torque even in the higher ends of its low-torque units... and at lower RPM than a T444E.. since the 545 runs low line pressure at low RPM by nature.. its not in the spec anjywhere its just a known deficiency.. it means navistar rated the engines near their lowest available rating to make sure that customers didnt end up prematurely ruining the transmissions..

the early versions of the allison 1000/2000 had issues in 5th gear with high torque.. you could actually over-torque the lockup clutch and spin it.. this caused the computer to error out and throw the trans into limp mode.. it doesnt happen in stock form. but the duramaxx guys adding tunes to their engines learned it real quick..

triple disc converters and upping line pressure helps that scenerio along with other things done to the "built" transmissions that allow them to take much more TQ / HP and not break or have a short lifespan..
Old 08-13-2020, 07:33 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I am not sure I understand this statement Johnny.

I did my AT545 to 2000 swap specifically because the AT545 was a weak and undesirable transmission.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #40
Bus Geek

My bus has 64k miles on it and has a 545. All stock 190hp Cat 3126. Its on its second transmission already.