Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
its a steam boiler in a dry cleaners.

and if you hear the news about the camp lejeune lawsuit its actually the dry cleaners they are trying to blame for the contaminated water.
I worked on a number of sites monitoring (Phase I & II environmental assessments) &/or remediating the dry cleaning solvent, perchloroethylene (which is listed by the EPA as a, "likely human carcinogen").
To give you an idea of the scale involved: A thimbleful's quantity of perc in an Olympic-sized swimming pool is considered to be an enforceable level of contamination in groundwater.
Even with such extraordinarily low PPBs, you're screwed with not so much as a by-your-leave, let alone a reach-around!
And you'd be well-advised to totally forget about maybe getting dinner and dancing before said festivities commence...
So, it sucks to be you if your water well is downstream of a dry-cleaner's point-source plume...

Old 09-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
how does this end up in ground water from a dry cleaner? they sent it down the sewer line when it was supposed to be captured? thered be no reason for it to be in the steam since that is just process steam.. or their sewer line leaked and so it worked into the ground water?

I dont know much about dry cleaning.. other than I have no understanding of "dry cleaning fluid"... since fluid means wet and dry means dry..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Dry cleaning still gets stuff wet afaik, just not soaking wet like a normal washing machine would. IDK if liquid water is even involved in the process. Cleaning is done predominantly by chemicals.

I too have no idea how this would get in groundwater, unless it ran off into a floor drain which dumped into rivers/streams/lakes. Even then, I was told it takes decades for surface water to get into the ground, at least where I'm at. Maybe sandier soils will allow it to reach it faster?
Old 09-24-2022, 02:26 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Dry cleaning still gets stuff wet afaik, just not soaking wet like a normal washing machine would. IDK if liquid water is even involved in the process. Cleaning is done predominantly by chemicals.

I too have no idea how this would get in groundwater, unless it ran off into a floor drain which dumped into rivers/streams/lakes. Even then, I was told it takes decades for surface water to get into the ground, at least where I'm at. Maybe sandier soils will allow it to reach it faster?

in ohio you cant even plant a flower without hitting solid clay LOLOL
Old 09-24-2022, 03:19 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
domestic water feeds the boiler to create steam so i dont know where the chemicals came from at the dry cleaners?
i have been on this base since 89 and as a marine everyone new not to drink the water.
as a construction worker since 96 the base has its own problems with fuel saturated ground that i have gotten into many times and just renovated a daycare that set empty for 7 years since the day of brand new and they never opened it because it was built on contaminated ground and they thought the vapor mitigation system would clear it enough before it was set to open. miles away from the dry cleaners in the family housing.
many a time have i had to have contaminated dirt hauled away and plastic and fresh dirt and stone brought in to bury mechanical piping or plumbing way away from the dry cleaners.
15 years or so ago? i dug in the utilities for a job sight trailer and kept hitting bricks from an old fuel farm and you could smell it.
2-weeks later the deep utilies company came in and started and hit a stash of toxic barrels that no one new was there not 15 feet from where i was digging at.
put the entire crew in the hospital for a month.
shut that 7 year contract down for 10 years.
and that site was right on the water where when we did underground or worked in a steam pit it was wellpoints and worked with the tide.
at 2' deep at high tide you have ground water at low tide you might make 4' but either way it made for interesting days welding in the water.
and for many years we had to have a hot work permit just to stick a shovel in the ground because of a jet fuel tank leak that went un reported for 20- years until that supervisor retired and a new man took over.
i cant understand what happened from 87 to 89 to change the groundwater in this area?
the local county water authority didnt take over the base water supply until around 10 years with new treatment plants that i have helped build but the old water treatment plants on base are still in operation?
they tore down the stem plant and all the steam systems that has paid all my bills and raised a family since 96 for natural gas and i say that was a smart choice because any given steam system only last 20-years in a perfect world and was a constant maitenance nightmare for the supporting equipment but what changed with the water infrastructure in one year? that made everything good for the next 20 something years until the local water authority took over?
sorry didnt mean to rant?
yall cant even visualize how much rotten underground steel pipe and failed experiment fibreglass pipe is abandoned in the ground just left to rot in underground salt laden water?
i gotta shut up.
sorry for the hi jack OP
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:06 PM   #66
Bus Geek

interesting theyd blame the dry cleaner though... scapegoat? maybe they had an underground tank? fiberglass piping!.. I had heard rumors of it but never saw it here.. but then again I only ever did Low pressure.. me being HVAC I never worked on process steam.. everything I dealt with was low pressure heating steam.. either for heat exchangers to heat domestic hot water or old gravity fed stuff in churches / apartment buildings.. to some pumped steam in schools and larger office-complexes.

once they figured out I was computer and electroncis savvy.. I quickly got whisked away from doing repairs and startups on commercial HVAC.. and was sent away to the schools for the likes of liebert, Johnson, and barber coleman..

you were in the industry long enough to know the transition from old school pneumatic VAV to DDC / central control.. Modbus / BACnet / LONworks and it took place quickly .. most of our guys were older and wanted no part of it.. I was like 'gimme gimme gimme'... stayed in it long enough to realize that getting into a real computer career with travel was where i really wanted to be.. and I got there 20 some odd years ago.. and still am there.. and I still Love it..

ive kept my certs up and even used a few old contacts i made to get me into classes with the likes of Daikin and Fujitsu so i could learn VRF.. and yeah as you know im 100% on board with VRV(daikin) and in general VRF systems..

a new class of Air conditioners is beginning to hit the market now that may be of interest to skoolies.. they are portable 2 piece Minisplits... so you have an outdoor unit coinnected toi the indoor with an umbilical.. one of them uses a water to refrigerant heat exchanger so the "outdoor unit" is simply a fan coil with water.. so the quick connect hose set can be disconnected and reconnected at will.. these show promise for spot cooling while parked.. like most electric A/C.. worthless while you drive..
Old 09-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i have completely re built the water walls in all the steam plant boilers a few times
converted cherry point boilers from fuel oil and coal over to natural gas last year and now they just signed aa contract to put gas throughout the base and to tear that 30-million upgrade down.
other than keeping the base main boilers running i was mainly low pressure steam.
PRV condensate ejection pumps stuff.
steamfitter by trade but have had to learn VRF.
after the last few months and following behind someone else?
i am not a big fan of LG?
might be because i didnt know them. now i have the LGMV software.
i cant say alot about daiken/carrier. have only installed small systems with no issues.
i usually do big mitsubishi vrf systems with 4-6 16 port branch boxes.
now its trane/mitsubishi or just mitsubishi.
you have to actually go to trane for this version.
my link drive could send you in both directions.
and i am not a big fan of annexaire canada and there carel controllers?
everytime they tell me to change something i have to mail or call to get another password?
what in the world is the base gonna do once i sell 8 units to them hoping next week?
they barely talk to me because of propieatary info?
gotta pull trends myself and send to them and they have made crazy changes and then reversed course?
sorry chris just thats my world right now.
have bus stuff to do but have lawnmower stuff to fix.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #68
Bus Geek

LG is hit or miss with me... for stabndalone residentiall installs they are fine.. when you start getting into networked systems.. mitsubishi is the priciest.. but they have great support and it works...

Daikin is prob right up there with them.. daikin has been doing VRV (VRF) for many years so they are good at it.. their networking prorotols are proprietary and for the birds but damn do they work when you get them set up.. and their diagnostics onboard beats mitsi..

Fujitsu is hitting hard in the multi-unit residential / zone commerical space now with their recent (2 year) release of 080" static (continuous) ducted indoor units.. they are high CFM, medium static so they can handle decent length runs with a fair amount of bends.. they also have the condensate pump onboard.. (not the hokey mitsubishi crap outboard pump).. .. if you have startup guys that dont know much about sizing in and adjusting the blower sets.. these units will set their own blower profiles just by testing the ductwork.. I bought a couple of these units to play with.. one of them im now using in my zone 2.. still writing the software to control it the way I want.. but its pretty versatile.. it supposedly is the same size as the china split I took out after 13 years.. but this thing cooled the space down twice as fast as that unit ever did....
Old 09-24-2022, 10:06 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

And THAT, as the kids might say,
Is pretty damned cool!
Old 09-24-2022, 10:22 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
And THAT, as the kids might say,
Is pretty damned cool!

Literally!! or its pretty damn Hot! if you are in roger's world dealing with steam..

Cool in my world dealing with A/C...
Old 09-25-2022, 12:49 PM   #71
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
From what I’ve seen and researched 2100 and downshift to 3 or even 2 maybe depending on how steep it is. No personal experience yet though

This was a reply to the OP I just realized this thread is a private conversation now
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #72
Bus Geek

2100 is about right.. the 545 likes revs.. if you have your foot buried and lug a 545 it will get hot really fast! below 2200 engine RPM and max line pressure starts to drop so if its a weak 545 you ll start losing clutch piston holding power
Old 09-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Literally!! or its pretty damn Hot! if you are in roger's world dealing with steam..

Cool in my world dealing with A/C...
You wouldn't like my AC, then.
It only huffs hot, heated air, henceforth.
Sadly, it wasn't built to perform that same function in a cold climate.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:23 AM   #74
Bus Geek

ive got the climate control thing good in all the busses now.. even the '78 Got a dose of cool air this summer.. prob the only bus project i got done was putting that in.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:57 AM   #75
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
A surprisingly large proportion of EPA "superfund" sites are former dry cleaners. Chemicals gonna chemical.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #76
Bus Geek

This thread a making me think “sippin on straight chlorine..let the vibes slide over me …”
Old 09-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #77
Bus Nut

Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
The vin will do nothing in my case. So no point bothering. Go bock and read through Cadillac kids redbyrd thread on his transmission swap.

There is fellow that will supply me with a new TCU, wire harness, and throttle position sensor.

In my case I will likely build/modify my own harness.

There is no input from my engine, it doesn’t have electronics
William
Leccy is short for "electric/electronic" I am originally from Britain and still without thinking use slang. I live in the States now and have for many years

I have read Cadillac's thread, and shortly after reading it and with a lot of research I at the time I became the "second" to do what he did. My thread for the swap is an extensive write up as well.. called "Transmission Options" (admins won't change the title to make it easier to search)

I followed his thread and then I also kinda cheated a bit because my bus harness DOES have the j139.

I now have the only Vista with a 2000 series transmission. My motor was a T444E

I had discussed on another thread, actually I asked, about building this stand alone box to help skoolies with the older bus/AT545 dilemma but Cadillac had said the ROI was not worth it.

Apparently for someone it is as now fast forward there seem to be companies that will build you (meaning anyone) the harness you need to if you just throw them some pesos to make a mechanical bus throw the signals the A-2000 TCM wants to see.

As for the Vin number part I was going on the assumption the builders of said harnesses etc would need that or at minimum your specs.

The Allison want's to know your rear end gear ratio and host of other numbers that a Vin (build sheet) would provide. Most skoolies have no idea what their rear end ratio is, some don't even know WHAT that is.

When I did my 2000 swap using a complete donor I had to take my 1999 ECM down to the IH dealer and they printed off a few sheets of paper with a bunch of numbers. Since I decided to also upgrade my ECM with the swap I am now running the 2002 ECM. IH had to move a bunch of that old info to the new, and teach the allison.

I ran into a bloke on FB that is going on the forums about his 2000 swap, but then when pressed he knows nothing about it at all and actually paid someone $10k to do it (which is fine as well, but don't tell others it's "easy" if you didn't actually do any of it yourselves eh?)

dave

All I meant
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:14 AM   #78
Bus Nut

Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
sorry magna i can be buzzkill at times..

You are NOT!

you sir, are amazing. I could never have done my swap without you, even if you told me to get rid of the vista

100% could NOT have without you.

but you are spot on about "writing code". For you it is easy.

For the rest of us very few, and even fewer in the skoolie world, can do this.

I can wrench and weld and build and fabricate. I have made amazing things. But I cannot do coding and computers

So I owe you a big debt of gratitude for the help you gave me.

I am trying to pay it forward helping Brandon get rid of his AT545.. we can do the work at my place whatever path he choses to go forward

As long I don't have to do any computer stuff I am 100% down to help here

meanwhile, small update been 3 years now and no issues whatsoever with our swap or the T444E or the vista (it's time for tires though....ugh)
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:29 PM   #79
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
You are NOT!

you sir, are amazing. I could never have done my swap without you, even if you told me to get rid of the vista

100% could NOT have without you.

but you are spot on about "writing code". For you it is easy.

For the rest of us very few, and even fewer in the skoolie world, can do this.

I can wrench and weld and build and fabricate. I have made amazing things. But I cannot do coding and computers

So I owe you a big debt of gratitude for the help you gave me.

I am trying to pay it forward helping Brandon get rid of his AT545.. we can do the work at my place whatever path he choses to go forward

As long I don't have to do any computer stuff I am 100% down to help here

meanwhile, small update been 3 years now and no issues whatsoever with our swap or the T444E or the vista (it's time for tires though....ugh)

and im running mine since 2017.. amazingly i havent broke it yet.. and motor is TUNED and bigger HPOP / Injectors and of course the marvelous Orion Tuner..

the way you did yours is by far the best way for the average skoolie.. because it doesnt involve customs and code and such..

and you re-couped some costs by putting the donor bus together and selling it as a running / driving bus..

the way I did mine is best for those who want a full-on custom with the most flexibility for tuning, power-adding, etc..

I think the way you did yours is the way to "teach it" around here the best..

Tags
rev at545 dt408