Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #81
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: 30' International IC 3000
Engine: DT466e // Allison MD3060
Actually. I think I found where it goes! And now the WARN light does come on.

Still no crank, tho. None at all.

Gonna our the battery back on a charge and see if maybe it’s just too drained to kick over.
Attached Thumbnails
4DCA1D77-F306-40BA-8B83-EF73FA4C30BF.jpg  

marceloasherq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
That is not a fuse, it is a single pole, double throw relay.
Very common item.
Not realy sure where you are plugging it in but common uses for a relay like that, lights, fans.. etc...

you can get those at any auto parts store.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #83
Mini-Skoolie

She runs!!!!

The picture above is essentially where I plugged it back in. Now it starts right up no problem!!
Old 11-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marceloasherq View Post
She runs!!!!

The picture above is essentially where I plugged it back in. Now it starts right up no problem!!
That is awesome that you found the issue. Lucky in a way that it fell out instead of hanging up in the engine compartment or you would still be looking for the problem. Strange place for a relay.(ecm relay?). I would put a zip tie to keep that thing from coming apart again and buy another to have on hand for a backup spare. Came across a story recently where someone spent thousands for repairs when the only issue was a relay.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #85
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
That is awesome that you found the issue. Lucky in a way that it fell out instead of hanging up in the engine compartment or you would still be looking for the problem. Strange place for a relay.(ecm relay?). I would put a zip tie to keep that thing from coming apart again and buy another to have on hand for a backup spare. Came across a story recently where someone spent thousands for repairs when the only issue was a relay.
Yeah, it must be the ECM relay, because the WARN light comes on (according to the wonderful information you all have been so gracious to provide).

Wow. I'm so glad that's not the case! I was feeling pretty nervous/defeated/overwhelmed by the issue and was a bit intimidated to tackle it all the way. SO HAPPY I didn't hire someone to figure it out. haha.

Now i'm onto the next phases of the gutting process. I guess I'll start another thread for all the hangups I find there. Hahaha.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #86
Mini-Skoolie

Hello all! Trying to get back into the conversion process (a but under the gun due to a frustrating landlord) and wondering if I should just continue this thread or a make another that I'll use throughout the build process?

The short of it is the bus has been sitting for months and my landlord has demanded it be gone by Saturday because I guess my neighbors are petty? Either way, went to start it today after charging all night (battery was sulfated and needed to be desulfated by my charger) and showing at 100% charge — it wouldn't start.

I realized the battery door was open and the bus was honking at me when i took the key out of the ignition. But yeah. Engine kinda chugs and then ... nada. Battery is fairly well drained again so it's back on the charger.

Should I get a new battery? If so, what kind? There's SOME fuel in there, but not a lot. Maybe I should add some?

Really thought this was gonna be a quick and easy deal to move and that the hardest thing would be finding a new location ... but alas. Plans laid by mice and men ...

Anyway. Here are some videos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w7tdjj00k...0squSU5ka?dl=0
Old 06-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #87
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
To me it sounds like the battery needs to be replaced. I think you said you had one battery (Group 8D?). Got a picture of it?

Oh well, now I see you started a new thread. Disregard.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:15 PM   #88
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
To me it sounds like the battery needs to be replaced. I think you said you had one battery (Group 8D?). Got a picture of it?

Oh well, now I see you started a new thread. Disregard.
Yeah. So I did that. Started right up.

But as soon as i backed out of my driveway, down my back alley and nearly to the street, it cut off. Wouldn’t turn back on. No WARN light. The same relay as before popped off. I located it. Popped it back in. And still no start. No WARN light. Now I’m stranded. Yikes.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #89
Mini-Skoolie

I’ve gone to two autoparts stores and they are totally confused, but certain they don’t carry it. Any ideas? In a pinch to say the least. Maybe it’s more than just the relay?
Old 06-12-2021, 06:57 PM   #90
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by marceloasherq View Post
I’ve gone to two autoparts stores and they are totally confused, but certain they don’t carry it. Any ideas? In a pinch to say the least. Maybe it’s more than just the relay?
Hey, do us old folks who are experiencing the beginning stages of "CRAFT", fill out your user profile to include your type of bus, engine and tranny model.
That will help us all remember what you got when we are trying to help out.

That being said, that relay is a very common single pole. double throw relay.
In you picture I can see another relay behind the one in your hand. It should be the same as the one in your hand, verify and then swap it out, turn the key without cranking the first time, see if all your dash/warn lights come on. If they do, try starting the bus.

But before you do all that, check your ECU fuse in the batt box just to make sure it did not pop.

Also, relays should NOT just POP OFF. Secure that relay with a screw or a ty-wrap and make sure the cable connector is not loose and can wiggle itself free.

While your at it, check all the relays for the same, make sure they are secure and the wiring connectors are not loose.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #91

FYI this is my 4th bus, 2003 Thomas EF. The vandalock shut me down for a while. I finally, after plenty of things, put a jumper in the relay holder making it say it's closed and my problem was solved. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220228_212319.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	63957
ptrippyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:25 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrippyjr View Post
FYI this is my 4th bus, 2003 Thomas EF. The vandalock shut me down for a while. I finally, after plenty of things, put a jumper in the relay holder making it say it's closed and my problem was solved. Attachment 63957
My fingers are holding the relay holder
ptrippyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #93
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrippyjr View Post
FYI this is my 4th bus, 2003 Thomas EF. The vandalock shut me down for a while. I finally, after plenty of things, put a jumper in the relay holder making it say it's closed and my problem was solved. Attachment 63957
I did this on my Blue Bird as well. The most foolproof method and it allows me to completely dispose of all the door interlock wiring in the back of the bus.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dt466, engine, international 3000, not starting