Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 36
My Bus suddenly won't turn over...Any Ideas???

My batteries are good, but the other day I went to start the bus and it just clicked once and didn't turn over. When I turn the key I hear a single click coming from under my switch panel on the lower left side(kinda where the heater is) If this were my car I would think the starter was bad. I haven't had a single problem in the past starting it and all of a sudden it won't start. Any suggestions as to what to check first? It's an International T444E 3800 automatic. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: My Bus suddenly won't turn over...Any Ideas???

i would check and see if all the lights come on-if they dont id check where the ground connects to the engine then i think i would try to short out the solenoid and see if the starter turns it over if it turns over id check for safety switch problems such as clutch pedal switch,neutral switch etc. sounds like a connection somewhere to me. i hate it when this **** happens timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Skoolie

Can't seem to find any loose wires. The engine warn light stays on when I try to start it. I'm still messing with a few things, but so far no luck.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Where is the starter solenoid/relay mounted on this particular bus? Is it mounted right on the starter itself or is it remotely mounted? In either case there is a little diagnosis needed so the problem can be narrowed down. Now I would vote that this is a control side issue (ignition switch, solenoid, some sort of interrupt, etc), but we need to know for sure.

I'm hoping you have a multimeter. Use the multimeter and make sure you have 12 volts on the large battery cable coming from the battery to feed the solenoid. This will eliminate the power feed as a problem. Then, have someone turn the key and check to see that the "S" terminal on the solenoid (this will be the smaller control wire). Chances are you won't, but if you do then the solenoid becomes suspect (or possibly a whole starter). You probably will not which means it is time to trace wires. I wish it were as simple as just getting a wiring diagram, but it isn't. Verify that you have 12 volts feeding into the ignition switch. If you do not you might have an interrupt device in the circuit or a broken wire, etc before that. If you do not have power then I would run a 12 volt jumper wire to that power feed and see if the bus starts.

If you do have power to the switch then it is is time to dig deeper. Clearly there is something in the middle between the switch and the starter. Let me know when you figure it out.

One other thing. Don't take this the wrong way...I'm a mechanical person and got absolutely burnt by this before. Is the transmission in neutral or did someone maybe bump it into gear? This would explain the no crank (neutral safety switch) as well as the engine warn light.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Skoolie

Damn Batteries...I thought they were fully charged, but I must have had a couple of bad cells. The batteries that came with the bus were Kirkland (100 month guarantee)...so I returned them to Costco...after a little hassle they prorated them for 50%(without a receipt!!!) of the current price..so I got a free one and bought another. Now I have better stronger batteries and it turned over fast and strong. While I had them out I deceided to add in my Isolator to the mix. Now my altinator recharges my starter batteries and my aux batteries and my aux batteries won't drain my starters. I'm Happy!!! Thanks for all the help, I should have started with the easy stuff first...live and hopefully learn.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3L Diesel

i am having the same problem..and i know its not my batteries as i tried jumping the bus with my truck... the battery was low-ish at 12.5v the bus has been sitting a bit... i need to try testing voltage at the solenoid... there was two chewed wires thanks to a rat coming off of the transmission...fixed them... i was hoping that was the problem...but no,....hope to get assistance soon as it takes two people to test farther....(turn key and test voltage)
moliskaIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International S1753
Engine: International 6.9
Having a similar issue with similar bus but I dont think its our batteries- 1987 International 6.9 Diesel S-1753. Had the glow plug relay/controller fixed and batteries replaced on Tuesday, drove it home, wouldn't start on Wednesdsay (45 degrees outside). It will turn over and smoke comes out. Saw someone mention greasing a Bendix gear somewhere? Or does this seem solenoid related? We are very unknowledgeable on mechanical related things, but after spending $1k Tuesday were hoping it is something small we can do ourselves.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Having a similar issue with similar bus but I dont think its our batteries- 1987 International 6.9 Diesel S-1753. Had the glow plug relay/controller fixed and batteries replaced on Tuesday, drove it home, wouldn't start on Wednesdsay (45 degrees outside). It will turn over and smoke comes out. Saw someone mention greasing a Bendix gear somewhere? Or does this seem solenoid related? We are very unknowledgeable on mechanical related things, but after spending $1k Tuesday were hoping it is something small we can do ourselves.
If it will turn over it won’t be a bendix gear thats part of a starter assembly. You said it will turn over and you get smoke my mind goes to fuel injection. I’m a bit of a noob when it come to diesel, so I could be way off, but for the sake of starting the troubleshooting, when you turn the key, does the starter turn the motor and does it turn it energetically? Do you smell fuel under the hood? I’m assuming that’s black smoke out the tail pipe?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International S1753
Engine: International 6.9
Saw you comment on my other post too- we really appreciate the help! I'll consolidate it to this chain.

The starter does turn the motor and it is energetically. We do not smell fuel under the hood. And it is white smoke out the tailpipe.

We appreciate any help we can get!!
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Check out the section titled White Smoke

Diagnosing Light-Duty Diesels
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 07:04 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03 View Post
Where is the starter solenoid/relay mounted on this particular bus? Is it mounted right on the starter itself or is it remotely mounted? In either case there is a little diagnosis needed so the problem can be narrowed down. Now I would vote that this is a control side issue (ignition switch, solenoid, some sort of interrupt, etc), but we need to know for sure.

I'm hoping you have a multimeter. Use the multimeter and make sure you have 12 volts on the large battery cable coming from the battery to feed the solenoid. This will eliminate the power feed as a problem. Then, have someone turn the key and check to see that the "S" terminal on the solenoid (this will be the smaller control wire). Chances are you won't, but if you do then the solenoid becomes suspect (or possibly a whole starter). You probably will not which means it is time to trace wires. I wish it were as simple as just getting a wiring diagram, but it isn't. Verify that you have 12 volts feeding into the ignition switch. If you do not you might have an interrupt device in the circuit or a broken wire, etc before that. If you do not have power then I would run a 12 volt jumper wire to that power feed and see if the bus starts.

If you do have power to the switch then it is is time to dig deeper. Clearly there is something in the middle between the switch and the starter. Let me know when you figure it out.

One other thing. Don't take this the wrong way...I'm a mechanical person and got absolutely burnt by this before. Is the transmission in neutral or did someone maybe bump it into gear? This would explain the no crank (neutral safety switch) as well as the engine warn light.
Hey.. LL Skool J here. From 2023 reviving an old post saying THANKS.

Was worrying for nothing turning over in the ignition. Stumbled on this post and started reading "don't take this the wrong way..." and as soon as I read that sentence, I said "I FIXED IT" to my GF before I even made it back into the bus. The dog had bumped us into drive. Thanks for the sage words here.
krazykrivda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:52 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
of course its the dogs fault.
people dont do anything wrong?
dont blame my dog because he will tell you exactly what he thinks.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote