Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Need help choosing correct air filter - 2003 3800 t444e

Picking up auction bus, so don't have the luxury of seeing what's in it ahead of time.

This application requires both an inner and outer air filter.

Wix has two different styles of both inner & outer filters listed for this application. One style has a metal cap on one end with a metal handle attached, while the other style has a urethane end cap in it's place. In all other respects they appear to be identical.

Here are the links for the filters. Any advice on which ones to pick, or if they're interchangeable, would be appreciated.

Outer:

Outer 1

Outer 2

Inner:

Inner 1

Inner 2

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
I learned this painfully expensive lesson on my bus. Take the filter out, get the part number and order the same thing. I have ordered and returned half a dozen expensive parts that "fit my model bus" but were wrong. I have a list of part numbers and manufacturers that I'm keeping to reference as I replace and do maintenance on stuff.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Maybe I am goofy but I won't use anything but Fleetguard or Donaldson. They tend to be a bit more expensive though.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
That reminds me..:
Mickey Mouse filed for divorce from Minnie, and he stands up when the judge asks..:
"So, Mister Mouse, am I correct in understanding your petition for the dissolution of marriage is based upon your wife's insanity?"
Mickey replies, "Hu-huh, uh, no your honor,
"I said she's fu@&ing Goofy!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Maybe I am goofy but I won't use anything but Fleetguard or Donaldson. They tend to be a bit more expensive though.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I'm not fussy, but those are good brands.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I was planning on using Wix / NAPA (preferably the former due to cost and them being the same thing), just due to familiarity and availability. How do y'all feel they'd compare?

Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I was planning on using Wix / NAPA (preferably the former due to cost and them being the same thing), just due to familiarity and availability. How do y'all feel they'd compare?
When replacing filters I recommend buying at least 3 at a time, never have too many spares when you need them. I was surprised on my last purchase, everyone pretty much wanted $20 for the 3405 fuel filter. I went on line and found a new NAPA filter for $8. I figured it was a one off sale. But then I checked the NAPA site and found that was their regular price, I bought 3 of them. I can't ever remember NAPA being cheaper than anywhere else.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Well, I'm going to split the difference between y'alls advice... I won't buy multiples yet (which is good advice) because until I know for sure what the actual parts are I don't want to commit. But I can't wait to see what's in the bus (which is also good advice) to get at least one, since I don't want to be hunting for obscure parts in a strange city on the day I pick this up. I've got one day to get a temp permit from @ the tax assessor's office, meet with whoever's going to give our baby away, find a place to work on her, and perform a full service routine on a vehicle I've never worked on before. And that's assuming everything goes smooth

With any luck I get the right parts. If not... there's nothing duct tape & zip-ties can't make work in a pinch

Old 06-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If its in Texas you can buy a temp tag online and save yourself a lot of time and hassle.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If its in Texas you can buy a temp tag online and save yourself a lot of time and hassle.
For a one-trip permit (15 days), there's no online option. You have to purchase it at a county tax office (though it can be any county in the state, which is cool). In the context of buses, these apply to unladen vehicles only (no passengers).

For the 72 & 144 hour permits, you can do it online (and could transport in a commercial capacity, which is what these permits are targeted towards), but with one additional caveat... it has to have passed a Texas Safety Inspection within the past year. Which this bus, unfortunately, has not (that ran out in February).

I got all this info from the Texas DMV Website, which was confirmed with a call to the same.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
At all the truck shops I worked at we used Baldwin filters and never had an issue. The actual steel case around the element on spin-on type filters are much thicker than your run of the mill filters. I seen Ford Motorcraft filters rust out in 2 years on motorhomes, plow trucks, and other vehicles when I worked at the Ford dealer as a diesel tech for 6 years. I seen other cheap store brand filters rust out quickly on all other vehicles.

Baldwin PA2522 inner element
Baldwin PA2521 outer element

Baldwin Filters | Home
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
At all the truck shops I worked at we used Baldwin filters and never had an issue. The actual steel case around the element on spin-on type filters are much thicker than your run of the mill filters. I seen Ford Motorcraft filters rust out in 2 years on motorhomes, plow trucks, and other vehicles when I worked at the Ford dealer as a diesel tech for 6 years. I seen other cheap store brand filters rust out quickly on all other vehicles.

Baldwin PA2522 inner element
Baldwin PA2521 outer element

Baldwin Filters | Home

Thanks Johnny!