Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Oil pressure t444e

Anyone know what the desirable oil pressure is on these engines? My computer is reading oil pressure at about 55psi and as low as 35 when warmed up at idle. Do I have anything to worry about? No computer codes...

warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
most 444E's when hot at idle read in the 20s.. navistar sets of the Oil pressure alarm if its below 8 PSI at idle for more than 10 seconds... full RPM Lube oil pressure when hot (by hot I mean 195 oil temp) is typically in the low-mid 40s.. but they can run Ok in the high 30s.. I think 30 is the oil pressure alarm for above 2000 RPM..

your computer has it in the parameters in servicemaxx as to what the alarms are set at.. yours sounds like its running great oil P's
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Thanks Christopher! I switched over to the Bluefire digital gauges and I'm in the yellow (verses the red or green, according to their stock settings) at 35 psi so I wanted to make sure it was okay. Dude ... I LOVE these gauges.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Thanks Christopher! I switched over to the Bluefire digital gauges and I'm in the yellow (verses the red or green, according to their stock settings) at 35 psi so I wanted to make sure it was okay. Dude ... I LOVE these gauges.

bluefire makes hard gauges that run off J1708? I always thought they were standard sender gauges or you used their app.. im interested to know more
-Christopher
Old 05-31-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
Bus Nut

it's a bluetooth sender ... they recently designed a gui dashboard that I pull up on my tablet. I tore the old cluster out and exclusively use that now. Tablet boots right up into the app.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
it's a bluetooth sender ... they recently designed a gui dashboard that I pull up on my tablet. I tore the old cluster out and exclusively use that now. Tablet boots right up into the app.

got it! so you are using the app.. nice! I have my old cluster. and my tablets are up high.. on my bus the original cluster is nearly unviewable anyway.. and will be more-so if i have A/C vents and duct in the areas under the defroster ducts..

is the layout and styles on that app editable or is it fixed? also interested to know if it reads HPOP data.. my VMSpc doesnt (I know the data is sent I see it in the raw strings..)
-Christopher
Old 05-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Anyone know what the desirable oil pressure is on these engines? My computer is reading oil pressure at about 55psi and as low as 35 when warmed up at idle. Do I have anything to worry about? No computer codes...
Sounds higher than the oil pressures I've had on any of my buses. Kudos to you!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
Bus Nut

App is editable... you can change the size and position of the gauges. I believe he's working on adding color schemes too. If you email them they'll add the hpop data (I too can see it from the servicemaxx software) in a couple days. So far great customer service and response times. Actually you can download the bluefire for trucks mode and use it in demo mode to see how it works, without the hardware.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
App is editable... you can change the size and position of the gauges. I believe he's working on adding color schemes too. If you email them they'll add the hpop data (I too can see it from the servicemaxx software) in a couple days. So far great customer service and response times. Actually you can download the bluefire for trucks mode and use it in demo mode to see how it works, without the hardware.

super!! HPOP is PID 164. where these porograms die it seems is multiple PID's in one frame. the J1587 spec allows it but like my VMSpc doesnt see it, I verified it was there when I wrote my own app to read and show the J1587 data.. I parsed the multi-frames..

-Christopher
Old 06-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
What are these BlueFire gauges you speak of? I'm intrigued.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
Bus Nut

https://bluefire-llc.com/trucks.html#

https://www.amazon.com/BlueFire-Andr.../dp/B00V1QBNFI

To my knowledge they're the first company to make a J1708/1939 compatible hardware capable of running digital gauges from your phone or tablet, similar to Torque with ODBII. I tore my old cluster out and love the digital gauges. The app is free, the hardware is $265. Works using bluetooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
super!! HPOP is PID 164. where these porograms die it seems is multiple PID's in one frame. the J1587 spec allows it but like my VMSpc doesnt see it, I verified it was there when I wrote my own app to read and show the J1587 data.. I parsed the multi-frames..

-Christopher
Just emailed him the hpop PID yesterday... We'll see how long it takes him to add it to the app.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #12
Bus Nut

So at 60mph on the highway my RPMs are at ~2250, coolant 183F, oil temp 197F, oil pressure around 45psi. Is this all looking normal? Is there a chance my oil is overfilled or is 45psi safe at this speed?
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
So at 60mph on the highway my RPMs are at ~2250, coolant 183F, oil temp 197F, oil pressure around 45psi. Is this all looking normal? Is there a chance my oil is overfilled or is 45psi safe at this speed?
General rule of thumb in a gas engine is 10psi for every 1000rpm. In the race car I put stiffer springs in to gain up to 90psi at 7kRPM. Once you get above 90 the oil seals no longer contain the oil and start leaking. 45-60psi is what I understand is good oil pressure for these motors. Overfill should effect your pressure.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
General rule of thumb in a gas engine is 10psi for every 1000rpm. In the race car I put stiffer springs in to gain up to 90psi at 7kRPM. Once you get above 90 the oil seals no longer contain the oil and start leaking. 45-60psi is what I understand is good oil pressure for these motors. Overfill should effect your pressure.

Overfilling a 444E is BAD!.. you'll Blow oil everywhere out the crankcase vents.. itds Very easy to overfill a 444E because the oil takes a while to drain down to the pan.. so when you add oil you think you havent added enough because the stick doesnt show it.. so you add more.. pretty soon you are 1 or 2 quarts over and either blowing oil into your turbo from a recirculated crankcase vent or blowing oil all over the ground from the draft tube.

keeping a 444E's engine oil CLEAN is KEY.. it is used as hydraulic fluid to run the injection system.

my oil gets changed every 6k miles and my filter every 3k..

be sure Any additives you may like to run are HEUI / Power-stroke safe.. (for those that dont know, the 444E is the base engine which the ford 7.3 Powerstroke is built from. International made them for ford.

the Powerstroke 6.0 is dereived from thr VT-365.

the Powerstroke 6.4 is Derived from the Maxxforce 7.

-Christopher
Old 06-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Christopher, would 45psi at thst rpm indicate overfilling?
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Christopher, would 45psi at thst rpm indicate overfilling?

Overfilling wont affect oil PSI.. as long as the opil pickup is covered in Oil then the oil pressure isnt affected by PSI.. and you have to be down really low to start lowering PSI by sucking air into the pickup..

RPMs affect it as does engine load.. on a HEUI engine, the system uses more oil through the HPOP when the engine is under high RPM heavy load.. so its normal to see the Lube opil (gauge and computer read pressure) ebb and flow as the HPOP reservoir lowers and raises..

when im warmed up to say 185-190 (oil temp). and i pull a hill hard, 4th gear revs up to 2200+ foot to the floor.. ill see my oil P vary from 43-48 up and down.. as the oil heats up it may drop off a bit..

45 is well within the normal range.. the 10PSI per 1000 is generall looked at as a minimum acceptable pressure esp under load.. like marc says you dont worry on the high end until you start pushing 90+. and blowing oil through seals...

mine runs up to 80 on a cold morning when I first start it asnd drive off weithout warming it up (yeah I know but sometimes ive had to)...

the Lube oil pumps do wear.. mine was worn when i took it apart a year ago.. I replaced it with a melling and it increased my PSI's by a few over-all..

-Christopher
Old 06-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Overfilling a 444E is BAD!.. you'll Blow oil everywhere out the crankcase vents.. itds Very easy to overfill a 444E because the oil takes a while to drain down to the pan.. so when you add oil you think you havent added enough because the stick doesnt show it.. so you add more.. pretty soon you are 1 or 2 quarts over and either blowing oil into your turbo from a recirculated crankcase vent or blowing oil all over the ground from the draft tube.

-Christopher
Crankcase pressure will blow the excess out all over, but it won't effect the PSI of the oil circulating the motor. Define "overfilling"? Is 1/2qt over filled, how about 1 qt.? Slightly overfilling should not have an effect. Massively overfilled is just not using common sense.
Warewolf, no, overfilling is not causing the 45psi. 45psi is normal.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Crankcase pressure will blow the excess out all over, but it won't effect the PSI of the oil circulating the motor. Define "overfilling"? Is 1/2qt over filled, how about 1 qt.? Slightly overfilling should not have an effect. Massively overfilled is just not using common sense.
Warewolf, no, overfilling is not causing the 45psi. 45psi is normal.
on a 444E even one quart over causes more oil to be blown all over.. its a known fact with these engines.. Ford recirculated the crankcase vent into the turbo instead of blowing crankcase gas / oil through a draft tube. RACOR made an aftermarket device top filter crankcase gas, separate oil and drain it back into the engine... the schools who had mine outfitted it with this device.. it works to some extent..

ive filled 2 quarts over by accident and still blown oil into the intake and known it because I'll see oil spots on the rubber joints at the turbo pipes where a little seepage occured..

obviously the oider the egnine gets the more crankcase pressure its going to make so the issue gets a bit worse over engine hours accumulating..

higher revs will generally cause more oil lost from the crankcase vent esp if overfilled because there much more oil mist in the air.. my guess is the crank dips far enough down into the pan to contact the oil if its overfilled causing more splash and mist... not known fact just a guess..
-Christopher
Old 06-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Perfectly normal and safe.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #20
Bus Geek

another way to look at oil pressure vs oil level.. many think oil level affects Pressure..

think of a glass of water with a straw in it.. when you drink from the straw and the glass is full you suck down half the water.. the glass if half full.. even with the glass half full you can still suck down water and not suck any less until you reach the point where you are near the bottom of the glass and straw hisses and crackles...

-Christopher