Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Talking Orion now has Datalogging capability!

Good morning, everyone! Hope the weekend has been kind to you all. Had some bits of sunshine in between bouts of heavy rain here in GA. I guess it's the leftover stuff that pushed through TX this weekend.

Just want to let everyone know that we have finally been able to get the datalogging module completed in the Orion Reflash software. I know that syntaxerror posted a comment linked to our forum, but I wanted to let you all know officially.

Release Video:

https://youtu.be/YvPG7GTVqm0 - Orion Reflash System Datalogging

We are continuing to make improvements to the datalogging features, including expanding the PID coverage where applicable. However, this does help provide important diagnostic information for users experiencing startup or other drivability issues with their vehicles.

The datalogging module allows for not only live viewing of the parameters, but it can also store the data into a CSV file for later viewing/graphing. If you choose not to store the data directly to a file, the datalog information is automatically stored in the Windows clipboard buffer to paste into you application of choice.

As always, we greatly appreciate the members of this site... Especially those members who assisted us with product testing. Your feedback and time was invaluable. We look forward to providing more features and functionality to our software, and your suggestions are instrumental.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us and we can help get them answered for you.

Take care and have a fantastic week!

Power Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Dashboard feature added

Okay... I've put together a nifty little dashboard window that will support 6 PIDs. It even has lo/hi warnings based on the nature of the parameters. Because it still uses the code from the normal PID monitor screen, it will also store the datalog information to be viewed later.

Attached are the screenshots of the dashboard window. Keep in mind, this was running on my bench unit so there isn't any usable data.

As soon as I get home this afternoon, I'll do a live screen grab video of the application running in my bus and post it up.

I hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Dashboard SS (Idle).jpg   Dashboard SS (Running).jpg  
Old 08-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
fantastic!!! and im back in town and ready to get back at my bus again too!.. i'll load the latest version wit hthe original datalogger on my orion machine and give it a run..

its sad I havent hardly driven that bus all summer.. changed the oil in april and its not even dark brown yet...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
fantastic!!! and im back in town and ready to get back at my bus again too!.. i'll load the latest version wit hthe original datalogger on my orion machine and give it a run..

its sad I havent hardly driven that bus all summer.. changed the oil in april and its not even dark brown yet...
Just so's ya know, it's not ready for download yet. I'll get it up on the server tonight after I run it through the bus and make sure nothing weird is going on.

Just keep an eye out for v1.01.0136.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #5
Bus Geek

cool deal!!! best way to be! test before release .. not like me.. who was literally writing out the last bits of code and running builds while the crew was beginning the system cutover .. shutting the old system down.. LOL.. oh and this was a 5 star Mega-resort in Orlando... nothin like living on the edge
Old 08-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: short
Nice work as always. The best part about it is that it runs on win 7 still.
syntaxterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxterror View Post
Nice work as always. The best part about it is that it runs on win 7 still.
Actually, it runs as far back as Win XP. Two of my laptops that I use here are Win XP and it works great on those. In fact, my development computer is still Win 7.

The only computer I have that runs Win 10 is my gaming computer, and that only because there are no Win 7 motherboard or video drivers for it. Oh well.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
Bus Geek

my dashboard tablets run win10 and typically thats where I run the Orion software since well its a windows computer stuck to my dash so its handy.. I havent upgraded either to windows 11.. (not sure the cheap chinese hardware wont melt already let alone with win 11)....

ive been working on my own software to replace the VMSpc that I use for my gauge panel so i can display the navistar-specific parameters... if the Orion eventually were to offer that functionality.. (ability to have somewhat customcolors / layouts).. ie round and digital gauges and ability to set color schemes, with a button to switch day / night.. even as a paid-feature it would be well worth it for me to buy it..

if you peruse the IH 3000/4000 series forums it seems like at least a couple times a week there are posts.. "my dash cluster doesnt work what do i do?"... the reason i spent $$ on a VMS-PC and am now making my own program is because i got tired of soldering the connectors on my cluster only to have it last a year then quit again or something else on it decide not to work.... so I set the tablet setup in use...

the Orion is turning into an even more fantastic solution to a lot of things!!

-Christopher
Old 08-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #9
Skoolie

Some of the International dashes have egt gauges in them. Would it be possible to have egt temp in the data stream. what hardware would be needed?
Old 08-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I’ve only seen EGT in the later stuff.. in the gen 1 navoak computer used in all non EGR stuff I’ve never seen an EGT gauge from the ECM , it was available as a separate gauge.. just like your fuel gauge isn’t in the data stream nor is your air pressure or ammeter if you have one. I’m not sure there’s a PID in the the j1708 soec for it. J1939 does have an SPN for it and many later engines send it in the stream
Old 08-26-2022, 06:43 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Improved Dashboard Screen

This is where things are at right now. (See attached image)

The display is static at the moment. I'll look into making it dynamic with the ability to add or adjust gauges as needed. Can also add in digital style displays as well. That's going to take a little work.

Caddy - When you have a moment, can you send me the PID list that you have? I'm currently only working with the J1708/J1587 PID data. I can add more into the application if you have those numbers and formats.

Anyway, v1.01.0150 will release today as soon as I get to work. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Dashboard Video Grab 7.jpg  
Old 08-26-2022, 07:27 AM   #12
Bus Geek

that looks sweet as heck!!!

the PID's that are most important to me are the ICP actual / desired, and the IPR duty cycle.. I have to find the numbers.. actual is 164, I think if I remember 154 is desired and 155 was IPR duty.. they arent sent in the regular stream, they are part of the "servicemaxx custom".. ICP is sent in the normal datastream its a standard J1587 PID.

I need to get back into this deeper again.. totally cool screenshots here!
Old 08-26-2022, 07:56 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that looks sweet as heck!!!

the PID's that are most important to me are the ICP actual / desired, and the IPR duty cycle.. I have to find the numbers.. actual is 164, I think if I remember 154 is desired and 155 was IPR duty.. they arent sent in the regular stream, they are part of the "servicemaxx custom".. ICP is sent in the normal datastream its a standard J1587 PID.

I need to get back into this deeper again.. totally cool screenshots here!
I'll take a look and see. I do have ICP Actual, but I'll check ICP Desired.

I appreciate the feedback. The ActiveX Control I found seems to work pretty well. Good refresh, flexible color banding, flexible scaling, and works with negative numbers. It has a few limitations, but considering it was free to use, I'm not going to complain.

I'll hit you back later with PID results.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:16 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Thumbs up

Got a few more PIDs stuffed in. Some may or may not pull data depending on the model year, but I did find a couple of the Navistar specific ones including Desired ICP and IPR %. Now we're cooking!

Going to udpate all the PID Monitor window PIDs and then I think we're good to go. Give y'all something to fiddle with over the weekend.

Back shortly with an update.
Attached Thumbnails
Dashboard New Base Config.jpg  
Old 08-26-2022, 02:04 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Okay, v1.01.0150 is ready to download.

Orion Reflash System Installer

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:56 PM   #16
Skoolie

I played with this weekend at the campground. Worked like a champ. Great work.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:10 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxterror View Post
I played with this weekend at the campground. Worked like a champ. Great work.
Thank you! Glad to hear it.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:48 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Latest Orion Update - v1.01.0200

Hello all!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we've got an update to the Orion Datalogging utility.

New to v1.01.0200, we now have an editor to allow you to refine the gauge limits and warning ranges. This will help to customize the gauges and bar graphs for different applications (T444e vs. DT466, and so on).

Also, the datalog windows now store your recent selections so that the next time you open the window you will see the same graph/gauge selections. This makes datalog sessions much easier since you don't have to go in an reselect your favorite parameters.

This is currently only available in the Orion Reflash Software, not in Orion Lite or Orion VPM. Those will be coming soon.

Some screen shots are included below.

I hope this is helpful!
Attached Thumbnails
PID Dashboard.jpg   PID Monitor.jpg   PID Editor.jpg  
Old 03-25-2024, 01:34 PM   #19
Almost There

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt466e
How are you creating the dash? I have Blue Fire as well as the Orian. It's a bit intimidating because I'm not nearly as skilled with computers and coding as you gentlemen.

I have a Samsung laptop 360 pro as well as an android tablet that I got for the bus. It seems that the Blue fire likes the android but the Orian likes Windows.

Either way, I can't run both Blue and Orian at the same time. Blue gives me a lot of problems and never worked the way I need it to.

Orian seems to have the capability to do what I'm wanting with being able to monitor everything but I can't seem to find more info on how to use it in an advanced way. Just the basic install manual.
!eslie.brewer.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:31 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by !eslie.brewer.me View Post
How are you creating the dash? I have Blue Fire as well as the Orian. It's a bit intimidating because I'm not nearly as skilled with computers and coding as you gentlemen.

I have a Samsung laptop 360 pro as well as an android tablet that I got for the bus. It seems that the Blue fire likes the android but the Orian likes Windows.

Either way, I can't run both Blue and Orian at the same time. Blue gives me a lot of problems and never worked the way I need it to.

Orian seems to have the capability to do what I'm wanting with being able to monitor everything but I can't seem to find more info on how to use it in an advanced way. Just the basic install manual.
I'm not sure I uderstand what your question is.

The display is in our Orion software (Orion Reflash and Orion Lite) and uses our hardware interface to connectot the vehicle. Our device is USB and would required being to connect to a laptop in order to run the datalogging or gauge dashboard.

The software is available for free and the hardware is available from our website https://gopowerhungry.com for $100.00 plus shipping.

You would connect the device between the vehicle's OBD port and the laptop USB port, run the application, and the open the Diagnostics Dashboard window to display the gauges.

I hope this his helpful.

Tags
datalog, orion, parameters, power hungry