Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2022, 06:58 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Ic ce Navistar international
Chassis: Ce 300 school bus
Engine: 7.6L international ic ce 300 school bus
Overfilled differential leaking ?

Hi folks, I've got a question on over filling a differential on a2006 ce 300 international school bus. So if I've done work on the vehicle lost fluid and it still drains out the fill hole when cold and sitting for a week is it a safe bet this differential was way over filled and that's what blew out my wheel hub seal ???

Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Many differentials have a vent hose coming out of the top. If the vent hose is plugged the pressure can cause hub seal failure.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
nope

plugged vent, overfilled, bad/damaged/worn out seal, damaged seal surfaces, seal not installed correctly.

OR

a combination of the above

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:40 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Many differentials have a vent hose coming out of the top. If the vent hose is plugged the pressure can cause hub seal failure.
Jack
Yes, I'm going to verify vent is clear once repairs are done and diff refilled to proper level
Old 07-16-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
plugged vent, overfilled, bad/damaged/worn out seal, damaged seal surfaces, seal not installed correctly.

OR

william
Well, I've replaced the bearings I've replaced the seal and the brake shoes and drums but even after losing gear oil from differential on brake shoes when leaking and then removing both Hubs and losing oil again the differential is still over full with oil so I can only assume that it was way over full. Going to drain and refill to proper level tough part is international days in my axle gotta lift a side 6" then wait a minute lower and then lift opposite side in order to get sufficient oil in both hubs then recheck oil level and fill as needed.
Old 07-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

sounds like a plan

well, keep us informed about the results please. i have to do what you are doing. not looking forward to it. I will be adding internal tire pressure monitor system

william
Old 07-16-2022, 05:49 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Hubs? wait are you talking rear or front? ive never seen rear hubs that you fill.. only front and those should have a clear cover or a rubber plug you can pop out when the bus is level..

the rear diff you only fill from the square plug.. yes when the bus is level..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Caddi, most old skool full floating axles are lubed from slosh from the differential. Even my 2005 Isuzu 1 1/2 ton uses this technique.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:10 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Caddi, most old skool full floating axles are lubed from slosh from the differential. Even my 2005 Isuzu 1 1/2 ton uses this technique.
Jack
That’s the way I’ve understood it. I’ve never put oil in the rear hubs only the front (oil bath)
Old 07-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
That’s the way I’ve understood it. I’ve never put oil in the rear hubs only the front (oil bath)
Directions via spicer are to fill the differential to fill point then jack up each side of axle at least 6" higher than the other and wait a minute so oil can fill the hub with before driving. And check oil level after jacking each side and fill as needed
Old 07-17-2022, 07:58 AM   #11
Bus Geek

got it... I guess i never did that step.. i always filled it.. drove it around town a few minutes.. came back, checked it again.. added as needed.. I guess my turnng corners did the same as jacking it up
Old 07-17-2022, 08:02 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Hubs? wait are you talking rear or front? ive never seen rear hubs that you fill.. only front and those should have a clear cover or a rubber plug you can pop out when the bus is level..

Spicer calls for filling the rear hub cavity between the inner and outer bearing race in the rear hub with oil just before inserting the outer wheel bearing on the hub and after install of bearings and seals they say to jack the vehicle axle up 6" higher than the other side for 1 minute and then refill oil and repeat on other side. What I'm wondering is why when I blow into my vent tube which is not blocked I took it off and verified this by blowing through it but when I blew in the tube with it installed the air I blew in came back out as if there was a one way valve or balloon installed on it seems there's more air space than that in there are there Channels in there that could be clogged like are the passages in there that small.

the rear diff you only fill from the square plug.. yes when the bus is level..
^^^^^^^^
Oops see my info above missed this section.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:09 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post

OR

william
Hi William, so I'm wondering if you know... when I blew in my vent tube with my mouth the air I blew in came out as if it went in against a balloon I only got in a single breath of air. I removed the tube and the fitting it connects to and verified they were clear and air passed through easily is the air cavity in there that small as it seems it would be much larger is there Channels in there like tiny passages that could clog and hold back air
Old 07-17-2022, 08:16 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Jack
Hi, so I'm looking for as much help as I can get... I'm wondering when I blow into my vent tube the air I blow in comes out as if a balloon is on the other end and that's only one breath but when removed air goes through tube and fitting it attaches to easily are there spaces inside so small in the differential they could become clogged and block air flow
Old 07-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #15
Bus Geek

the air comes back out because you pressurized the axle cavity with the air you blew in through the vent.. so it will escape when you relerase.. thats good actually.. means the vent can in fact disperse positive pressure..
Old 07-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
the air comes back out because you pressurized the axle cavity with the air you blew in through the vent.. so it will escape when you relerase.. thats good actually.. means the vent can in fact disperse positive pressure..
I thought it would take a lot more air than one breath to fill the cavity in there is all
Old 07-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #17
Bus Geek

its possible the vent only alows a maximum positive pressure... the vent is designed to let air in slowly when the oil contracts and temp drops but also designed NOT to suck in water.. so it may be you trigger the valve when you blow into it..
Old 07-17-2022, 10:42 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
one other reason rear ends get overfilled is if it got water in it as driven thru flooded area. this is not common but i have seen it many times in my shop. always loosen the drain plug a bit and see if water or oil comes out i it was sitting . if it been rolling it will be mixed with the oil and will show usually as a grey color. some hubs have a primer port (a plug that takes a hex key to remove) to put oil into the hub so it dont run dry. i have replaced wheel bearings that were not primed and failed. dont hope the oil gets to them make sure it does.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
when the hot rear axle gets submerged it cools it off causing a vacuum which helps suck water into your vent. make sure your hose is up high on the frame if you run thru water or launch a boat
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Sp6az - blowing by mouth

I would not have expected what you described. The two plug in the differential housing is also something I would not expect. Have you found a metal tag on the axle housing? Not on the differential, the housing. There is something- not usual- going on with this whole deal. I think finding a manual on this exact axle/ differential might clear up some things.

I can’t make enough volume to pressurize a golf cart axle, I don’t see how you can do that to a truck sized axle.

I suppose there could be some sort of check valve. Does the assembly look like it could have some sort of check valve?

William