Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2024, 05:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E/AT545
Park Brake Switch Air Brakes

With air brakes, where would this parking brake switch originate from? I am 90% sure there are not wires from the little push/pull parking brake. I don't ever have a parking brake indication and i don't think i have ever gotten a Wait to Start.

I DO have intermittent times when the bus will not turn over. usually after some time it will. I am wondering if i am trying to start it during the "wait to start" time?
Attached Thumbnails
ParkBrakeSw.JPG  

GTSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSailor View Post
With air brakes, where would this parking brake switch originate from? I am 90% sure there are not wires from the little push/pull parking brake. I don't ever have a parking brake indication and i don't think i have ever gotten a Wait to Start.

I DO have intermittent times when the bus will not turn over. usually after some time it will. I am wondering if i am trying to start it during the "wait to start" time?

Usually there is a air switch "t"ed in on the out line of the park brake valve. Some times it'll only be 12 inches from the valve. Sometimes it will be placed in the most random dumbest place.

That switch according to the schematic will only light the bulb. However I have seen them as a shift interrupt so the transmission cannot be shifted into gear(IMO all trucks should be wired like that). With that said, I have never seen it as a starter interrupt switch.

Your starting issue IMO is not tied in with the parking brake.

However, my last job...... all our buses are juice brakes but has air over cable park brake which I have had to reset in the past either by cruise control buttons doing a sequence or with a scanner.....but that is a whole other ball game and wiring BS
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:29 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the switch in the diagram is just a switch to turn on the light..

does your park brake light actually come on? i havent seen any IH 3800 air brakes that have the light on... maybe its supposed to and ive just never seen one work..

on my 1990 there are no electrics in the park brake relay circuit at all.. unless its hidden well.. its not in the dash, rioght under the hood or back by the cans.. (I just spent a *LOT* of time back by the rear relay valves and cans as i just replaced my panhard rod, adjusted the slacks , and cut off some bad exhaust clamps...

on my hydraulic brake bus that light is functional..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:53 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
The park brake light does come on in the Gauge cluster in my 3box.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
The park brake light does come on in the Gauge cluster in my 3box.

it might be a school spec thing too.. whether the light comes on or not with an air brake system... or a year thing.. my DEV bus is 5 years older than Nikita's
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:16 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Engine: DT466E/AT545
I have never noticed my light on but I don't have a lot of engine time with my bus yet. been mostly sitting and working on body/interior.

I guess key switch "path" via diode is when you turn to start it lights all the lights as a test. I need to check all the bulbs.
GTSailor is offline   Reply With Quote