Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Parking Brake Lockout

I have a 2007 IC CE300 with airbrakes. For the child/school bus security issues, my bus has a parking brake override instead of a no engine start.

If a lift gate door is open or something else, the engine starts fine but the parking brake does not release.

I have been caught several times not able to move the bus - all with different areas of lockout activation.

I would like to disable it all together. Does anyone know the quick an easy trick to bypassing the security lockout on the parking brake release mechanism? I am hoping it’s on the actual module in the dash, not at various control valves under the bus.

Thanks...

Old 04-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Bumping this for any help. I have learned that it’s officially called a “Park Brake interlock”. I have also tentatively learned that it’s programmed into the BCM but that it’s locked out for reprogramming - although there should be a bypass that can be installed unless it’s on a CAN bus but I don’t believe that to be the case. I also find it questionable to be on the BCM because the interlock was not mandated until sometime after 2009. .

Currently the bus is dead - well it starts fine, it just won’t move.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I wonder if this system works similar to ignition lockouts, any open door would lock it out. What about removing or bypassing the system either with disconnected wires, or connecting the wires to fool the module into thinking the switches are closed as they should be. Some systems look for "Circuit complete" to work, while others look for "no circuit".
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

If I could locate the module that would be ideal. When I attempt to trace it back, the signal leads through at least five different wires. I’ve tried continuity tests and a tone generator. I’ve got a call into international to see what they say but they respond like frozen molasses.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
Bus Nut

So I got this service bulletin for installing a Parking Brake Interlock. But removing it and all is not clear as to what parts are needed.

Any comments out there on this one? A mobile mechanic in the SF Bay area is $190/hr plus $3.40/mile. So for me this is looking like an $800-$1000 job for a mobile tech. I'd rather spend that money on the conversion.

Can anyone make sense out of of this document?

SKM_C25819042309120.pdf
Old 04-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Problem resolved.

There were two air solenoid valves in the engine bay that connect to the parking brake valve and the air source. One of them is controlled by an electronic solenoid which is connected to the safety interlock.

We removed the interlock solenoids and voila!

Parking brake now functions properly.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
well that saved you a mobile mechanic visit. more money for the conversion. glad you got it figured out.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #8

Pizote, I’m running into the same issues. 2002 Thomas 3800. Just bypassed the ignition interlock and now the bus starts but now I can’t get the air brakes to release. Any way you could go a little more in depth on the air brake interlock removal?
smokinokie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
Bus Nut

In the picture with the brass valve, there were two of them. I removed one of them and connected the two hoses together.

There is also a link to a service bulletin for installing the interlock on busses they did not come with one from the factory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	32428Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	32429
Old 04-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #10

Did they have any wires running to the fuse panel with other relays or anything?
Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Just finished cleaning up. I ripped them all out. All wiring for emergency exits and door switches has been removed.

Took me a good solid eight hours over several days. About half the time as it took to unsuccessfully diagnose which wire combinations I needed to fix it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	32430
Old 04-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #12

Looks super clean, nice work. I’m gonna be taking off the sign and the air actuator for the door so hopefully I can knock it out tomorrow. Also gonna give the seller of my bus a call and see what they have to say. I bought it from a school district in NM. Doesn’t make perfect sense but I’m sure it’ll be more clear tomorrow when I get my hands on it.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #13

So not really any progress today. Couldn’t quite figure it out.
Picture 1 is the air hoses coming into the engine bay from the parking brake actuator( that solenoid in the middle on the air house is what I suspect to be the culprit).
Picture 2 is the relay that is located in the control panel that had a wire going to the handicap door.
Picture 3 is a wire going off of the relay in the control panel and it ends at a power terminal.
I tried bypassing it in a similar fashion to bypassing the ignition interlock but even with power it wasn’t working.
Not really sure where to go from here besides completely taking out the solenoid completely but the problem is they are really weird fittings and I’m not sure if I have enough house to put new ones on.

Anybody have any issues with a wheelchair lift bus that has a park brake interlock from the wheelchair lift door?
Attached Thumbnails
1FCDBF78-C5AC-46A8-9579-CBBE41830655.jpg   805EFA48-0CCF-42E7-B3EB-88971010102A.jpg   7173CB88-D3E4-44DD-BA5A-BE86A47EBB8A.jpg  
Old 04-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #14
Bus Nut

You can try removing the solenoid from the yellow hose. These are slip fittings so you can always put it back if it doesn’t work. Be sure to clean all the junk from the hoses and fittings before you work on them.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #15

Yeah I’m hoping the yellow hose is the fix. After tracing it back the only wire that it’s conmected to, to the aft of the bus is the handicap door control harness.
Will update this weekend on how it goes.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #16

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 24
Smile Thank you, Pizote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
In the picture with the brass valve, there were two of them. I removed one of them and connected the two hoses together.

There is also a link to a service bulletin for installing the interlock on busses they did not come with one from the factory.

Attachment 32428Attachment 32429
I was completely at a loss when I couldn't get my '06 CE300 to move and felt no pressure what-so-ever at the E Brake button on the Dash Control Brake Valve. This thread saved me either a) hours of frustration or b) hundreds of dollars for a mechanic. Either way, I am grateful that you sorted this one out!
abusdantlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
When I got ready to tackle removing the interlocks on my Bluebird the first thing I did was to call the nearest Bluebird dealer and asked the guy in the service shop.

He knew exactly what I needed to do. Five minutes on the phone saved me hours of trying to figure it out myself.

Not relevant to your Internationals, but for fellow Bluebird owners, Bryson Sales in Everett Washington rocks! Super nice folks.

They have a sign on their front door with a 1911 surrounded by a green circle. I thought that I understood what it was saying but wanted to be sure as I had my Gold Cup on my hip. I poked my head in the door and asked. Sure enough, they are promoting open carry.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: PB 105
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinokie07 View Post
Yeah I’m hoping the yellow hose is the fix. After tracing it back the only wire that it’s conmected to, to the aft of the bus is the handicap door control harness.
Will update this weekend on how it goes.
Any updates on this thread, I am in the same predicament tried removing that solenoid From the yellow hose in picture #1 to no avail. Please drop the knowledge on me I'm going crazy over here.....
sure_whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: PB 105
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 37
Thanks Pizote!!!! The diagram and your picture saved me!!! Also smokinokie!!! For piggybacking of OP's suggestions!!!!
sure_whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post

Attachment 32428Attachment 32429
Hey Pizotte, I know Im late but Im having the same issue and need to remove the solanoid. Was hoping you could explain the steps of removing the hoses and what connects to where. I just dont want to remove something and hurt more than I fix.

Thanks in advance
Underscoar is offline   Reply With Quote