Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: International VT365
Rated Cap: 71 pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Always crank then spray. Start with a small amount first then progressively more. You definitely don't want too much, as too much is damaging.

If it's an installed system, it likely injects it near the intake of the engine. All too often do guys spray on the air filter, which has a long path through the turbo, intercooler, and piping before it gets to the engine. Sometimes that ether can pool in the bottom of the intercooler, which can be sucked in in one big gulp, bending rods and breaking pistons in the process.
That is correct. Best to crank then spray, small amount first as too much is indeed damaging and could vapor-lock the engine (doing more harm than good to the starter and engine itself)

I’ve had the bus engine vapor-lock on ether before (didn’t take very much either) and it bogged down the starter. The engine wasn’t happy and I had to let it sit for several minutes for the ether to clear out. Only did that once and told myself to not do it again.

Flying I 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying I 365 View Post
That is correct. Best to crank then spray, small amount first as too much is indeed damaging and could vapor-lock the engine (doing more harm than good to the starter and engine itself)

I’ve had the bus engine vapor-lock on ether before (didn’t take very much either) and it bogged down the starter. The engine wasn’t happy and I had to let it sit for several minutes for the ether to clear out. Only did that once and told myself to not do it again.
That's interesting. My bus spent its working life in Buffalo and had an in-frame rebuild done at 120K, and needed a new starter shortly after I bought it at 158K. I wonder if the ether button got used a bit too much up there.

Regardless, I'm even more certain now I'll never use it. My bus has always started easily down to 30°F, and I have no need to drive it in colder temperatures than that.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:57 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: International VT365
Rated Cap: 71 pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
That's interesting. My bus spent its working life in Buffalo and had an in-frame rebuild done at 120K, and needed a new starter shortly after I bought it at 158K. I wonder if the ether button got used a bit too much up there.

Regardless, I'm even more certain now I'll never use it. My bus has always started easily down to 30°F, and I have no need to drive it in colder temperatures than that.
That would depend on how old your bus is and what engine is in it.

Mine being the VT365 V8, ether was never good for it but that’s what was used during the winter months and cold temperatures.
Flying I 365 is offline   Reply With Quote