Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2024, 04:58 AM   #1

Problem with International 3400 with t444e and an Allison transmission

I picked up international 3400 shuttle bus with a T444E in an Allison transmission. It felt like it had very little get up and go but this is the first time I've ever driven anything big like that It would get up to 65 and be around 2,200 rpm. But the second any hills got in the way it would start slowing down. It did not ever go over 2500 RPM. Not sure if this seems normal to most people or if there seems to be an issue.

Aiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 06:35 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
2600 is the limit of the 444E, if its a low horsepower spec than it can slow down on hills, its really hard to know much without knowing moire about the bus... the year , the transmission, tire size, rear gears, the horsepower rating (typically stamped on one of the valve covers... like a B170,B190, etc...)

if its a 170 HP bus running 2200 RPM at 65 then its gear pretty tall which means it has good highway manners however is going to be more likely to slow down on hills..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 12:34 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: International VT365
Rated Cap: 71 pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
2600 is the limit of the 444E, if its a low horsepower spec than it can slow down on hills, its really hard to know much without knowing moire about the bus... the year , the transmission, tire size, rear gears, the horsepower rating (typically stamped on one of the valve covers... like a B170,B190, etc...)

if its a 170 HP bus running 2200 RPM at 65 then its gear pretty tall which means it has good highway manners however is going to be more likely to slow down on hills..
Agreed. Most diesels are limited to 2600 or a bit less depending on the motor itself. As for the slow pickup, depending on the transmission, could be due to first and second being real quick on the gear changes. My 06 CE with the 6.0L and Allison 2500 transmission was the same way and I didnít get better acceleration until it was in third. The bus weight might also contribute to the deceleration on hills besides the lower horsepower.

What is advised to do, to get all the specifications on your bus in particular, is go to an International dealer or (in my case) Rush Truck Centers with your VIN number and have them pull up the line set ticket. The line set ticket (or Build sheet as I call it) would have all the specifications your bus was built with including engine (rated horsepower and governed speed), transmission (and options if equipped), tire size, rear end gearing, and other options the bus was ordered with when new. Having that would give you most of the information you would need.

The way it sounds as described, the bus is running normally without issue.
Flying I 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 05:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying I 365 View Post
Agreed. Most diesels are limited to 2600 or a bit less depending on the motor itself. As for the slow pickup, depending on the transmission, could be due to first and second being real quick on the gear changes. My 06 CE with the 6.0L and Allison 2500 transmission was the same way and I didnít get better acceleration until it was in third. The bus weight might also contribute to the deceleration on hills besides the lower horsepower.

What is advised to do, to get all the specifications on your bus in particular, is go to an International dealer or (in my case) Rush Truck Centers with your VIN number and have them pull up the line set ticket. The line set ticket (or Build sheet as I call it) would have all the specifications your bus was built with including engine (rated horsepower and governed speed), transmission (and options if equipped), tire size, rear end gearing, and other options the bus was ordered with when new. Having that would give you most of the information you would need.

The way it sounds as described, the bus is running normally without issue.

it might actually be lockup in 2 (which feels like a shift) where you actually feel your 2000 series come to life.. I know its that way on mine.. it shifts 1-2, then goes into lockup which feels like a shift.. which at this point my bus starts to really pull hard then goes into 3 and continues to pull hard.. i'll get my boost up to 25-30 in 3rd gear buried with a 2700 RPM shift out (I raised my limiter).. boost will go above 30 for a bit as I then reach cruising speed rather swiftly and it goes into 5 then 6
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 12:18 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
My 1995 T444E will run past 2600 RPM all day long if I wanted to run it that high. I've gotten it to 2900 RPM.

Does that mean my limiter was removed?

I'm not saying it runs well that high hehe, but it will easily go past 2600. Though I will say it becomes uncomfortable to drive past 2600 for a long time.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
The bottom end of the engine is pretty strong.

T444e was sold as merc cruser Dtronic for marine applications. Believe RPM range was between 3400-3800 for short busts. Governed speed started at 3850 RPM and rated at 330 HP I think.

Regardless. It's the top end of our engines that would not like that compared to the marine version
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 01:36 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
The bottom end of the engine is pretty strong.

T444e was sold as merc cruser Dtronic for marine applications. Believe RPM range was between 3400-3800 for short busts. Governed speed started at 3850 RPM and rated at 330 HP I think.

Regardless. It's the top end of our engines that would not like that compared to the marine version
Good to note. But yeah the stealership must of unlocked that part of it cause it will go beyond 2600 in my bus no problem. I could go into the 3k if I wanted to push it, but I think my AT545 would grenade if I did.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:44 PM   #8
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: International VT365
Rated Cap: 71 pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
it might actually be lockup in 2 (which feels like a shift) where you actually feel your 2000 series come to life.. I know its that way on mine.. it shifts 1-2, then goes into lockup which feels like a shift.. which at this point my bus starts to really pull hard then goes into 3 and continues to pull hard.. i'll get my boost up to 25-30 in 3rd gear buried with a 2700 RPM shift out (I raised my limiter).. boost will go above 30 for a bit as I then reach cruising speed rather swiftly and it goes into 5 then 6
I donít think itís 2nd gear converter lockup on mine because I can feel 5 distinct shift points from the transmission. Unfortunately I donít know how much boost the 6.0 puts out at wide open throttle. I think my engine has a hard rev limit of 2600 though it always shifts below that, right round 2400 if not below.
Flying I 365 is offline   Reply With Quote