Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BLUE BIRD
Chassis: I H CONVENTIONAL
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65
Proper antifreeze for a 1998 IH t444e

How can I determine the correct
antifreeze for the 1998 IH t444e
3800 school, Thank You.
Sincerely, SCARECROW.

SCARECROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Proper antifreeze for a 1998 IH t444e

Antifreeze is antifreeze....green stuff. Might want to get a test kit to see if it needs any additives too.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Antifreeze is antifreeze....green stuff. Might want to get a test kit to see if it needs any additives too.
Antifreeze isn't just antifreeze anymore. You really need to know what is the correct one for your application. There are so many additives in antifreeze today that if you put the wrong one in an older engine it could do harm to an engine like premature gasket wear, erosion of internals. Technology isn't only in the electrical electronic end it's in everything on the vehicle.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International
Engine: International 6.9L diesel
Rated Cap: 71

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is the SCA / DCA level. SCA (Supplimental Coolant Additive) or
DCA (Diesel Coolant Additive). This is the additive that keeps your cylinder walls from cavitating from the water jacket inward to the cylinder. No way to see it or test for cavitation.
Once there is cylinder wall perforation, bubbling may be seen in the coolant.

Caterpillar discovered the cause of this in diesel engines (only) WAY back when and invented the SCA/DCA additive
as the cure. Thanx Cat.

Most antifreeze from truckstops and industrial diesel engine suppliers already has the SCA additive as part of the mixture.
But check just to be sure.

Dipsticks to test for proper SCA/DCA additives are available at most OEM sources.
Cummins, Detroit Diesel., Caterpillar, Freightliner, International /Navistar, Kenworth....get the idea???

Also, most Heavy Duty or commercial diesel installations have a spin-on COOLANT filter as part of the block itself.
These spin-on filters have the SCA/DCA additive incorporated right INTO the filter and it slowly disolves into
the coolant as the coolant is being filtered of scale and crud that eventually kills your waterpump and impedes cooling.

Cummins, and other LARGE engines have these filters as spin-on's, right on the block. They look like a tiny oil filter.
The spin-on fuel filter will be MUCH larger. The Oil filter(s) even larger still.

The smaller engines like GM, International 5.9, 6.9, 7.3 and others usually have the filter w/additive, on the side of
the radiator with two small hoses that recieve and send coolant from and back to the engine.

Ford created H_LL on earth in the 80's when their 6.9 and (worse) 7.3 engine were dumped in pickups with NO coolant filter
w/additive, installed nor were the customers informed about SCA/DCA additives and their importance.

Ford was instrumental in the 7.3 engine recieving its horrible reputation for cylinder wall cavitation.
The early 7.3 were bored out 6.9's which decreased cylinder wall thickness markedly.
Professional engine rebuilders always sleeve these older 7.3L engines just to be "sure" there's no cavitation problems lurking inside there.

NO WATER, NO PROBLEMS.

Or you can do what I did after totally remanufacturing my 1987 6.9 INTERNATIONAL.
My engine was OEM/ factory equipped with a coolant filter w/additive.
For this reason, it was deemed "fit" for remanning without any concern regarding cavitation.
6.9's originally had a cylinder wall almost a quarter inch thick.
Boring out a 6.9L/ 420c.i. engine to 444c.i. to make it a 7.3 should never have been done.
Especially without warning the customer about SCA/DAC.
But then again thats why I dont own Fords.
After remanning from the block outward (.020 oversize), I Installed EVANS (waterless) Lifetime Coolant in my engine and never have to bother with it again.
I also use Evan's Coolant in my commercial Freightliner with new Cummins ISL engine.
These large diesel engines are like buying a BMW and really need to be treated properly if they are to last and
money is to be made with them.
Evans guarantees my Cummins equipped Freightliner for the life of the engine.
My last engine, a Cummins ISC, had 700K miles on it.
I do my own mechanic work and know what I'm talking about.
Also once Evans coolant installed, my current coolant filter does NOT contain or require the SCA/DCA additive.
Evans Coolant has NO water and so there is no problem requiring the use of SCA/DCA additives.

My skoolie is for sale and has many extras not usually found on skoolies. espiritusengineering@yahoo.com for details.
fishphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus

Man, you are dangerous....

Green stuff may be just that for your Civic or Chevy, but for a diesel, coolant is serious business.
Read my post before doing yourself and others irreparable harm!!!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARECROW
How can I determine the correct
antifreeze for the 1998 IH t444e
3800 school, Thank You.
Sincerely, SCARECROW.
Dear skinny: Read my post below for a complete guide to Diesel coolant and its importance.
Unless of course you have $7k or $9K laying around for a new engine???
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

What I was saying is that if it is green, you can use any green. You cant mix colors. They all have to meet engine manufacturers standards.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #8

Year: 1998
Rated Cap: Special Needs
So can somebody give a few examples of of the proper coolant brands out there for '98 T444E that exist now in 2020?
tibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for a 1998, Navistar still recommends standard green with the SCA's in it and coolant filter WITH ther additive..

you can also run the AMSoil PolyOrganic coolant with No extra SCA and then a coolant filter with No additive..

ive been running the AMSoi for about 4 years now in my 2000 444E. do be sure if you switch out from the green to something else to completely flush your system clear including the heater loops..

those are the 2 that i know of which will work properly in a 1998 T444E.. the later ones (99.5 and up) can run the ELC red like peak finalcharge.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #10

Year: 1998
Rated Cap: Special Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
for a 1998, Navistar still recommends standard green with the SCA's in it and coolant filter WITH ther additive..

you can also run the AMSoil PolyOrganic coolant with No extra SCA and then a coolant filter with No additive..

ive been running the AMSoi for about 4 years now in my 2000 444E. do be sure if you switch out from the green to something else to completely flush your system clear including the heater loops..

those are the 2 that i know of which will work properly in a 1998 T444E.. the later ones (99.5 and up) can run the ELC red like peak finalcharge.
Thank you cadillackid! If you want to comment further or anyone else really, I'd appreciate it because this is what happened between yesterday and this morning:

I drained the coolant at the radiator valve. After wrestling rusty Napa coolant filter for 1/2 a day, I replace with a Baldwin w/ SCA. About 4 gallons of coolant came out in total. It looks nice and clean so I think I don't need to flush, just replace, but it's yellow in color! WHY IS IT YELLOW!? That means universal, right? This bus is a 1998 Int 3600 w/ ~170k miles, bought at AAA dealeship in Az.
I see all the alarm bells about not mixing the colors so I think what to do? Call International, the dealer shop uses Fleetrite red OAT in everything. I don't know for sure, but it seems like PEAK FleetCharge is the same product but cheaper - like 18 bucks/gal at most stores.
IDK about the other ones like Prestone (OAT) or Zerex(HOAT) - yellow in color, that everyone at the parts stores tells me would be compatible with my engine. OAT label says it mixes with everything, HOAT doesn't mix with OAT. The more I read the more confused I get.
To keep it yellow, I go for 2 gal of Prestone OAT concentrate, mix with 2 gal of distilled water and top of the reservoir. Everything fine but the inside won't blow hot air. It blows cold. It might just be because of trapped air (which idk how to deal with yet). This morning I stop at a diesel shop to ask a pro. He tells me the above mentioned brands are good, he would use any of those coolants. At this point I'm ready to do 2 things:
1 - Try to get the air out and call it good if it blows hot again
2 - Flush the system with distilled water a few times and replace coolant with FleetCharge or one of the brands you specified. What would you do?
tibi is offline   Reply With Quote