Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Questions about free ServiceMaxx software & adapters

So thanks to this forum I know there's free (level 1) servicemaxx software available for pre-2003 internationals, & I've already downloaded it from here. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on putting together the rest of what I need (adapter, PC), & am unclear on a few points (bus: 2003 IC 3800 w/ t444e & Allison 2000):

1) The min system requirements list MS Vista or 7 as the required OS. Can anyone confirm or deny that later versions of windows (in particular Win10) are suitable as well w/o conflict?

2) According to the user manual linked to at the bottom of the above-referenced page, you must remove the Java Runtime Engine & replace w/ JRE 6, update 10 (page 6). Would this be a requirement with later windows versions (like 10?). If so, would this break 10, or even be possible?

3) The same user manual refers to a registration process that must be completed before the software is activated (also page 6). Is this the case with this version? Is this the 'Lite' version where this process is not required?

4) Is there any reason I'd want/need to run this in a VM, and/or prevent internet access?

5) I'm considering either the DG DPA 5 or Nexiq USB-Link 2. They're both at approximately the same price point. Is there anything putting one above the other?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

@cadillackid

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
servicemaxx will def run on windows 10, and since its the free version theres no reason not to let the PC have internet access.

the adapter. many are using the chinese knockoffs without issue. generally it is just looking for an RP1210 adapter.. I have the real usblink2. and it was expensive. others can chime in wit hthe adapters they are using.. possibly save you some $$ over the real nexiq device
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coolio. Thanks so much!

Looking around I found this. Not a clone, and appears to do everything I want for 1/2 the price of the aforementioned alternatives. I'm really liking this. Anyone have a reason I shouldn't?

https://www.my-grandview.com/store/p...w_USB_Kit.html

Says it's been tested w/ both servicemaxx & Allison DOC, so should be gtg.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
So thanks to this forum I know there's free (level 1) servicemaxx software available for pre-2003 internationals, & I've already downloaded it from here. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on putting together the rest of what I need (adapter, PC), & am unclear on a few points (bus: 2003 IC 3800 w/ t444e & Allison 2000):

1) The min system requirements list MS Vista or 7 as the required OS. Can anyone confirm or deny that later versions of windows (in particular Win10) are suitable as well w/o conflict?

2) According to the user manual linked to at the bottom of the above-referenced page, you must remove the Java Runtime Engine & replace w/ JRE 6, update 10 (page 6). Would this be a requirement with later windows versions (like 10?). If so, would this break 10, or even be possible?

3) The same user manual refers to a registration process that must be completed before the software is activated (also page 6). Is this the case with this version? Is this the 'Lite' version where this process is not required?

4) Is there any reason I'd want/need to run this in a VM, and/or prevent internet access?

5) I'm considering either the DG DPA 5 or Nexiq USB-Link 2. They're both at approximately the same price point. Is there anything putting one above the other?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
The software opens with Windows 10 but it is looking for a “RP1210A compatible communications cable”. I can’t find such when searching the internet. If you overcome that and were to connect with a laptop then it seems that you would not need the Nexiq or the DG DPA 5. I believe the DG DPA 5 may have a better warranty and accessories may be cheaper.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
The software opens with Windows 10 but it is looking for a “RP1210A compatible communications cable”. I can’t find such when searching the internet. If you overcome that and were to connect with a laptop then it seems that you would not need the Nexiq or the DG DPA 5. I believe the DG DPA 5 may have a better warranty and accessories may be cheaper.

Thank you BamaBus!
I know for a fact you need an RP1210 adapter. You can't just hook a cable from your PC to the data port on the bus. The adapter performs a hardware-level translation of signals sent & received. If that's the verbatim error message you received, I'm guessing they just worded it funky.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
You can't just hook a cable from your PC to the data port on the bus. The adapter performs a hardware-level translation of signals sent & received. If that's the verbatim error message you received, I'm guessing they just worded it funky.
Dang it. You forced me to read the user guide and now I understand. I have been trying to find a cheaper solution since I want to connect to a '98 3800 with a DT466E and also an '02 BB with a 5.9 Cummins. Thinking about the Bluefire for each but I'm not sure. Thanks for setting me straight.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

@BamaBus,

Here are a couple threads you might find useful (I sure did!):

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/s...ers-30212.html

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/f...ent-29192.html

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/i...44e-15435.html (this is is about the t444e, but there are references to servicemaxx / adapters that still should apply to your application)

Tons more out there I didn't link to. The search function of this forum is miles ahead of many!

I think I'm going to roll w/ the adapter I linked to above (the Grandview). I'll let you know how it goes. Still pricey but not nearly as bad as most. Probably won't be for a while though.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
Bus Geek

The BlueFire isn’t rp1210 so servicemaxx or Cummins insite won’t work with it. Bluefire is good for making a digital dashboard similar to the system I made in my bus (only a lot easier than what I went through 4 years ago)

I’m not familiar with the Grandview however I do know allison doc also requires rp1210 so if it works with doc it should be good on servicemaxx also

Christopher
Old 07-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Updating this thread from a while ago now that we've pulled many a trigger.

We recently ordered & received the Grandview RP1210 USB adapter + 9-pin Y-cable for use with the free ServiceMaxx software. The combo was less than 1/2 the price of the Nexiq kit, and it appears to work flawlessly. Adapter quality looks 100% solid. So glad we went this route (American product from an American company) instead of some cheap Chinesium POS. Shipping was immediate & it arrived a day early. Check it: https://www.my-grandview.com/store/p...w_USB_Kit.html

Got the J1708 ServiceMaxx software loaded on a relatively new dell laptop running the latest version of Windows 10. It appears to work fine on this platform without any software updates/additions/removals, and works just dandy w/ the adapter above. Just install & run. I did, however, get the software from a different source than what I linked to above, as their SSL cert had expired. Found a link for the same thing from Snap-on tools which I feel to be trustworthy: https://navistarservice.snapon.com/S...Number=SM-1708

Finally, we also got the Bluefire BLE adapter, & loaded the software on a new (for the bus) Amazon Fire tablet. Still working with this, but so far pretty happy. The J1708 data is slow, but it is what it is. The ability to have so many data items available while driving that the stock dash either doesn't show, or doesn't show accurately, is pretty big. No pics because I can't figure out how to make the dash not look washed out and colorless. Is there a trick to taking pics of one digital device with another?

Old 07-03-2022, 07:34 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Updating this thread from a while ago now that we've pulled many a trigger.

We recently ordered & received the Grandview RP1210 USB adapter + 9-pin Y-cable for use with the free ServiceMaxx software. The combo was less than 1/2 the price of the Nexiq kit, and it appears to work flawlessly. Adapter quality looks 100% solid. So glad we went this route (American product from an American company) instead of some cheap Chinesium POS. Shipping was immediate & it arrived a day early. Check it: https://www.my-grandview.com/store/p...w_USB_Kit.html

Got the J1708 ServiceMaxx software loaded on a relatively new dell laptop running the latest version of Windows 10. It appears to work fine on this platform without any software updates/additions/removals, and works just dandy w/ the adapter above. Just install & run. I did, however, get the software from a different source than what I linked to above, as their SSL cert had expired. Found a link for the same thing from Snap-on tools which I feel to be trustworthy: https://navistarservice.snapon.com/S...Number=SM-1708

Finally, we also got the Bluefire BLE adapter, & loaded the software on a new (for the bus) Amazon Fire tablet. Still working with this, but so far pretty happy. The J1708 data is slow, but it is what it is. The ability to have so many data items available while driving that the stock dash either doesn't show, or doesn't show accurately, is pretty big. No pics because I can't figure out how to make the dash not look washed out and colorless. Is there a trick to taking pics of one digital device with another?

snap-on is handling all of the navistar scan tools now so thats the correct link to use..

sweet on the grandview adapter!!! nice to know there is another alternative to the expensive USBlink.. but yeah RP1210 is the key.. if you have a J1939 link on your engine you can pin it out and run your Bluefire off of it.. the J1939 on navistar is 250K until ther Maxxforce then they went 500K.. navistar has a ton of proprietary parameters on J1708 and you can request a bunch of them on 1939.. Servicemaxx starts up a special data stream that grabs bunches of these.. if you sniff the line you can see the start-up sequence.. its a bit of a pain but if you are inclined you could probably put it into the sequence of the windows or android version of bluefire.... I just havent had time to do it.. my work is so busy and im in so much hardware / software dev trying to stay ahead of the supply chain that I havent even gotten to road trip let alone build new diagnostic software
Old 07-15-2022, 05:52 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

posted in wrong thread appologies
Captain_Keel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:59 PM   #12
Bus Geek

even the "real" DT466 from 04+ has EGR and a VGT turbo...

2003 and older are the last **REAL** 466E
Old 11-05-2022, 02:47 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
The Grandview interface is no OUT OF STOCK. I sent the company a message via their contact form and received a reply the next day. The Grandview is currently out of stock but the company plans to build and sell more when parts are available. They said it looks like mid 2023 at this point.

I suppose it's just another product that's suffering from the global chip availability issues.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:34 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
The Grandview interface is no OUT OF STOCK. I sent the company a message via their contact form and received a reply the next day. The Grandview is currently out of stock but the company plans to build and sell more when parts are available. They said it looks like mid 2023 at this point.

I suppose it's just another product that's suffering from the global chip availability issues.
Well that sucks. All this stuff makes my head hurt,but I'm going to have to learn and adapt. But is nice to be able to see everything going on with the motor.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post

Not too surprising. I have both a legit Nexiq USBLINK2 as well as a Chinese knockoff I got from china car diags dot com. Took a while to get the knockoff but it does work well provided you don't try to upgrade the firmware
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:25 AM   #16
Bus Geek

I have a real Nexiq.. but it hoinestly doesnt do any more than the knock-offs do.. so to me no reason not to get a knock-off.. havent heard of anyone having issues with them either..
Old 11-05-2022, 12:29 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
I've only had it for a month or so, but the knock off I have has done everything I've needed it to. I will say that I do not use any of the software that came with the knock off and instead found a copy of NED through someone else, as the software that came with the knock off was slowing down my laptop. But the knockoff hardware itself works great.

It's allows me to read the DTC's and run tests through NED on my 07 Maxxforce DT.
Right now I'm trying to figure out which of the 20 software out by Navistar will let me add a cruise control function to my bus. They have far too many programs that all do sort of the same thing but not really the same thing. That's the part that confuses me.

edit: forgot to mention, mine is a knock off Nexiq 2
Old 11-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #18
Bus Geek

the God-Mode service.. otherwise named servicemaxx pro is the one you can use on the maxxforce vehicles to enable the cruise parameters.. the god-mode allows changes to things like EFRC codes and horsepower.. I dont have the EFRC table for maxxforces.. ive been looking for it and have yet to find it.. some of them are the same as DT466E but toehrs are not...

I dont know what NED is so im not sure if you can use that to do it or not.. Servicemaxx J1708 only works on the older engines...
Old 11-05-2022, 04:19 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the God-Mode service.. otherwise named servicemaxx pro is the one you can use on the maxxforce vehicles to enable the cruise parameters.. the god-mode allows changes to things like EFRC codes and horsepower.. I dont have the EFRC table for maxxforces.. ive been looking for it and have yet to find it.. some of them are the same as DT466E but toehrs are not...

I dont know what NED is so im not sure if you can use that to do it or not.. Servicemaxx J1708 only works on the older engines...
From my understanding NED is basically the replacement of ServiceMaxx that came out in 2017. Looking at screenshots of the two programs I see no difference between the two, which is what led to some of my confusion. I have NED level 3 so it stands to reason if they are the same I'd have the same options. Maybe I just don't know how to use it correctly?
I'd really rather not get ServiceMaxx Pro just to find out they truly are the same thing.

NED on the left and ServiceMaxx on the right
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat-khi-thai-dong-co-Maxxforce.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	69049 Click image for larger version

Name:	ServiceMaxx-J1939.jpg
Size:	575.2 KB
ID:	69050

Then there's also the Navkal program too. Which I was told I need to work on the EGR or DPF systems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	dong-co-Maxxforce.png
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	69051

Screenshots from Google
Old 11-06-2022, 02:12 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse House View Post
I've only had it for a month or so, but the knock off I have has done everything I've needed it to.

edit: forgot to mention, mine is a knock off Nexiq 2

WHICH knock of Nexiq 2 and what was your source? There are so many of them out there and the marketing spiels on the web aren't very helpful.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote