Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Almost There

Replacement glow plugs?

I have a t444e and I was wondering where is a good place to purchase glow plugs in Montana and what is a good brand to go with? Any input will be appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Qya1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the glowplugs on the 444E are the same as on the ford powerstroke 7.3, look at the model year sticker on the valve cover of your motor and then go to any auto parts store and tell them you have an F-250 of that year with a Powerstroke 7.3 diesel..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Almost There

Okay thanks. I'm new to the diesel world. I heard there is a additive that needs to be added to the coolant? How do you test to know if it needs the additive.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Looks like Rock Auto has Bosch glow plugs for 6 bucks apiece.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
IMHO Motorcraft ZD-9's are the only way to go...other brands can and will swell at the tip making extraction very difficult. Sometimes the tip breaks off in the head and pulling the head may be the only safe way to get it out.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qya1991 View Post
Okay thanks. I'm new to the diesel world. I heard there is a additive that needs to be added to the coolant? How do you test to know if it needs the additive.
That depends on what coolant is in there now. The older green coolant needed a supplemental coolant additive (SCA) added to stop cavitation around the cylinders which could eventually cause pinholes in the cylinder walls. Later "lifetime" coolants have the additive so no need for anything extra. If memory serves, International changed from the green to the lifetime red coolant around the 1999 model year. I copied the following from one of the Ford Powerstroke guru sites but it applies to your International:

*Tip* International who made your engine, and who's engine your Ford cooling system was designed around, recommended a Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant (HD ELC) for all 2/2/99-up built engines (SN 940614-up). These are generally red coolants with operation lives of 300K-750K miles/6-8 years, depending on brand. They are very robust and require no maintenace or additives. Popular brands include International's Fleetrite ELC, Shell Rotella ELC, CAT ELC, Chevron Delo ELC, Peak Final Charge, Prestone Heavy Duty ELC, Zerex Extreme Heavy Duty, etc.

*Tip* Due to International's compatibility tests, all pre-2/2/99 build engines (pre-SN 940614) should use a conventional coolant with the addition of SCA (or a pre-charged conventional coolant already charged with SCA). Most conventional coolants will be green, "low-silicate" and meet ASTM D4985. There are too many brands to list. They will require the addition of a supplemental coolant additive (SCA) at initial fill and maintenance of that SCA thereafter. Most pre-charged conventional coolants will be pink, purple, or blue and meet ASTM D6210. These coolants do not require an initial dose of SCA, but will require SCA maintenance thereafter. These are coolants like Peak Fleet Charge, Prestone Heavy Duty, Zerex Precharge, Shell Diesel Ready, Fleetguard Fleetcool, Fleetrite Fully Formulated, and so on.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCog View Post
IMHO Motorcraft ZD-9's are the only way to go...other brands can and will swell at the tip making extraction very difficult. Sometimes the tip breaks off in the head and pulling the head may be the only safe way to get it out.
Did you mean ZD11? Isn't the ZD9 the glow plug for the 7.3 idi?

Rock Auto has the Motorcraft ZD11 for $9.30 apiece. And they offer a 5% discount which helps cover shipping. Keep that price in the back of your head when you go check your local parts store.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Do not get any other glow plugs than motorcraft or you will be doing it again. The plugs are actually made by Buku and last much longer. I found this out the hard way.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Did you mean ZD11? Isn't the ZD9 the glow plug for the 7.3 idi?

Rock Auto has the Motorcraft ZD11 for $9.30 apiece. And they offer a 5% discount which helps cover shipping. Keep that price in the back of your head when you go check your local parts store.
That could be...didn't see a year mentioned so I was just going off what I use in my old F250.

I got mine at Advance Auto Parts for $9 something and they had them in stock.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
Almost There

I've got the green coolant in it now. I'm going to look into getting the pre charged kind. Thanks for the info help alot.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Lifetime coolants still require periodic checking of additive and ph levels. It's not as set and forget as a lot of people think. There are specific test strips and additives to them so check with the manufacturer to be sure.

Motorcraft glow plugs are made by BERU over in europe. I 2nd what was said about using only them in an international.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
Almost There

Thanks everyone for the info I'm going to stick with the green coolant and take samples every so often. Then take them to the Ford dealer to have it tested. That way there is no question if something is wron.