Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29
Replacing Air Tank on 2001 International

I need to replace the compressed air tank on my 2001 Internattional DT466. I believe it has 3 compartments since it has 3 drain plugs at the bottom and a (grey in diagram) hose connecting the 3 parts.

I could try and order a replacement tank from the US (I am in UK) but it is expensive. I have a single chamber tank of the same size and pressure rating.

My question is whether it is possible to use a single tank and if so which hoses can be connected. In other words what valves are there between the 3 chambers. I am happy to manually drain frequently.
Attached Thumbnails
Tanks.JPG   Tank.jpg  

Old 02-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbrass View Post
My question is whether it is possible to use a single tank and if so which hoses can be connected. In other words what valves are there between the 3 chambers. I am happy to manually drain frequently.
Possible? Yes, if you're out in the wild and are in a need to move it or you'll die scenario.

Legal or recommended? Absolutely not

The air system on your bus is set up to have 2 seperate/protected systems. That's for safety, and to change from that would be illegal in all 50 states. I'm not sure in the uk, but I highly doubt they'd have different legislation on something like that.

If the single 3 compartment tank is so expensive and the individual tank is cheap, you can run 3 individual tanks and be okay. It's just you'll have more fittings, tubing, and room wasted under the bus.

And honestly, if you don't understand how the air system is supposed to function, I really wouldn't recommend that you try and create a system from scratch. It leaves the possibility for a lot to be overlooked, which could be dangerous.