Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Restarting a DT466 after sitting for over two years

Hello, I have a question....

My bus has a DT466 and has been sitting idle for the last two years... reason being that the last time I tried to start it the batteries were bad. I will be trying to get it restarted in the next week or so after two years of sitting. I know I will have to have two new batteries, but is there anything else that I need to do or have done to get it running again?

(By the way I used to be a member here a while back but apparently my registration got deleted or some such so I had to reregister.)

As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Restarting a any diesel ......

I have started many diesel engines that have not been started in a long time. The most important factor is to use fully charged batteries. My experiences have been to use 2 batteries and connect the batteries to my truck that is on high idle. For every minute the started is used, the starter should be rested to avoid destroying the starter. Usually 1 minute use equals 2 minute rest. After a couple tries with the starter, start fluid is used. The oil pressure is monitored while turning engine. Patience is required. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: Restarting a DT466 after sitting for over two years

Thanks for the advice Frank...

So you think the fuel, oil, etc will be ok? Like I said it's been sitting two years so I'm kinda concerned about water or mold/algae in the fuel system like I've read about on other forums, or excessive water in the oil pan, just want to make sure I won't run into other problems related to the idle time down the road somewhere. Not so concerned about the oil since it needs to have all the fluids and filters changed anyway, I've had it for 4 years and haven't been able to do that, but the school system I got it from said it had just been done shortly before they sold it.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Starting a diesel engine

People always are concerned about the fluids. All the fluids are in a sealed container. Nothing can affect any fluid. One time, a old GMC 6-71 engine had been not started in about 12 years. Some 4 big batteries were wired in parallel and the starting process began.
The engine was slow to turn because the cylinder bores had a bit of rust. The engine slowly began to turn faster. A battery charger was used to keep the batteries fully charged. The engine was not turned with the charger on. Gasoline on a rag was used to encourage starting. A shop cloth is drenched in gasoline and held near the air inlet on the engine. This method always works to start a diesel engine. The batteries must be fully charged and show 12.6 volts on a voltmeter. When voltage drops, the amperage rises
quickly. Patience required. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Frank....but a 6-71 doesnt have glow plugs. I can see someone using the tried-true gasoline on a rag with a glow plug engine. Just a little disclaimer there for those non "old school" people.

I love the challenge of getting old engines running.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Remember the intake "warmers" push plunger, then hit button...BOOM now crank while still warm...
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Frank....but a 6-71 doesnt have glow plugs. I can see someone using the tried-true gasoline on a rag with a glow plug engine. Just a little disclaimer there for those non "old school" people.

I love the challenge of getting old engines running.
His dt most likely doesn't have glowplugs either, or a heated intake. Mine sat for over a year and started up like it had just been run the day before. Pretty anti-climatic, lol...

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

I've never seen a DT with either, either....
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I don't think I have ever seen one, period
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Thanks for the input everyone, when I get the new batteries and have a chance to get over there and try it I'll let you know what happens.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
I've never seen a DT with either, either....
I guess the newer ones have intake heaters, but not sure.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Engine: DT408

Having been a diesel mechanic for most of my career working on boats there are a couple things you do need to check. First the oil level. One to make sure you have oil in it (it hasn't drained out from a leaky oil pan plug over time and the other is to make sure you haven't had a water leak into the oil pan in case of a frozen and busted block (in case someone didn't have antifreeze in it when parked). Checking the coolant level will also give an indication. While it's highly unlikely a diesel engine will have rust issues in just 2 years, if after replacing the batteries it doesn't turn over normally you might want to look into why before burning up a starter. I personally would put on a new fuel filter and purge the fuel system to not only ensure clean fuel getting to the injection pump and injectors but also to pressurize the fuel lines to check for leaks that may have formed due to dry cracked fuel lines. I found out about this the hard way. As far as glow plugs on a DT, there aren't any. I would use starting fluid right away conservatively to help save your starter. Once you get it running and moved to a location that you can change the oil and filters. No sense having old oil hanging around unless it was changed when putting away for storage (which usually doesn't happen). Don't forget about your air filter and crankcase vents and trans vents. Mud dobbers love places like that. Hope this helps,
Travis
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Yes it's due a C service anyway, hasn't had one in the time I've had it (but has only been driven 1000 miles or so in all that time). Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15

Nice to see other running similar buses.
My 92 Senator was recently picked up in Kentucky. It was around 15 degrees that morning. The bus had been sitting for months and hadn't been run much in a few years.
Put new battery in to replace a really bad one, and it fired up first try like it was fully warmed up and had never sat. This was after a quick check of the fluids and tires.
This is the easiest starting diesel I've ever owned or operated. I'm jazzed.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67
Hello, I have a question....

My bus has a DT466 and has been sitting idle for the last two years... reason being that the last time I tried to start it the batteries were bad. I will be trying to get it restarted in the next week or so after two years of sitting. I know I will have to have two new batteries, but is there anything else that I need to do or have done to get it running again?

(By the way I used to be a member here a while back but apparently my registration got deleted or some such so I had to reregister.)
If the tank was not full then you might have some condensed water in the fuel tank. I put in some additive to dissolve any water before running the engine.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Moi
Chassis: International
Engine: 444e...7.3L
Rated Cap: 36
I had a dt and its computer melted on me. My crane was half way put away with the outriggers stuck out still. The oil field consultant wanted it out of there but we couldn't move it like that. So I took a couple cans of ether and sprayed it into the intake...went through 3 cans putting the crane away....engine was doin 1100 rpm...perfect for the pto. Anyways...after they replaced the computer it ran fine. What your suppose to do is give it a quick short blast into the intake. Dont do a ton or you can blow things up. Dont let anyone stand near it cause it can shoot white hot fireballs out of the intake. Good luck with your startup man
rock649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:28 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Having been a diesel mechanic for most of my career working on boats there are a couple things you do need to check. First the oil level. One to make sure you have oil in it (it hasn't drained out from a leaky oil pan plug over time and the other is to make sure you haven't had a water leak into the oil pan in case of a frozen and busted block (in case someone didn't have antifreeze in it when parked). Checking the coolant level will also give an indication. While it's highly unlikely a diesel engine will have rust issues in just 2 years, if after replacing the batteries it doesn't turn over normally you might want to look into why before burning up a starter. I personally would put on a new fuel filter and purge the fuel system to not only ensure clean fuel getting to the injection pump and injectors but also to pressurize the fuel lines to check for leaks that may have formed due to dry cracked fuel lines. I found out about this the hard way. As far as glow plugs on a DT, there aren't any. I would use starting fluid right away conservatively to help save your starter. Once you get it running and moved to a location that you can change the oil and filters. No sense having old oil hanging around unless it was changed when putting away for storage (which usually doesn't happen). Don't forget about your air filter and crankcase vents and trans vents. Mud dobbers love places like that. Hope this helps,
Travis
How do you purge the fuel system?
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote