Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2023, 01:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Reviva reman engine

Is there any one here with experience with Reviva remanufactured engines? I recently purchased a 2003 Blue Bird (28’) with the T444E, that has a Reviva (201 engine and wonder if it is more than a rattle can rebuild. I contacted the company to try and find out more info on this specific engine, like any modifications such as cylinder bore size or whether the injectors were replaced. They didn’t have any of that information other than it was based on original engine specs. The warranty dept said that this was the second engine they delivered due to the first being returned for a warranty exchange. Makes me wonder about their quality control.

The engine seems to run just fine but it does have some blow-by from the valve cover vent. Not really bad but has some slightly visible smoke and only if you get down under to look at the hose end. The tube that runs down was sitting on the front axle pointing to the front of the bus. There was significant oil residue in the front driver’s side of the engine area including a build up on the outside portion of the intercooler. I am assuming due the vapors made it to the outside of the bus only to be sucked back by the fan. This is a HC bus and I think it did a lot of idling.

BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:10 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
So if you have some blowby what can you do about it? If it runs well and doesn't use much oil then I would leave it alone. Is spending $15,000 on an inframe just to get rid of some blowby worth it? Are you planning on putting tons of miles on it? Most of us just run to events or go camping sometimes and not running around putting a ton of miles on our busses so having the "perfect" engine is not worth the expense (no oil use, no leaks, sounds perfect with tons of power). So just drive it and keep track of the oil consumption and see what you bought. You otta hear my VW Jetta diesel, it sounds like it's gonna come apart but runs well and doesn't use any appreciable amount of oil, well worth the noise to obtain my 40 MPG.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
sportyrick, you absolutely correct with that assessment.

This bus was only supposed to be a parts bus and I was surprised of its overall condition since I have very little money in it. The engine was my only concern. I have the same yr/size bus with a 215 hp dt466e that I had wanted to do an in-frame refresh before putting it on the road. Now I have options!
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 04:08 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
You can have the best engine rebuild but if it is not broken in properly you can have blow by.

With that said. If it runs smooth and strong. Does not burn oil and starts good in freezing temps. You have a good engine

As for Reviva engines. Kinda like any other rebuilder. If a mistake is made it shows quick. Hence the replacement.

They are more or less built on an assembly line.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive seen triple 4 E with tons of blowby still running down the road.. and we have had members here that had pistons crack in half on seemingly "young" engines..

all diesels have some amount of blowby.. its normal.. the T444E is esp sensitive to overfilling the oil.. even by a 1/4 inch on the stick.. it will blow it out the draft tube.. "named the puke tube by many in the industry because under higher RPM.. its pretty normal to have a bit of oil mist"...

if it runs great, has good oil pressure, doesnt have any obvious noise (over and above the fact a 444E is very noisy anyway.. esp when cold).. then I say drive it...

there is no in-frame on a T444E.. if you crack a piston and wreck a cylinder wall or drop a valve, you are better off getting another block.. .. it can be bored and sleeved but usually at a much higher cost then finding a still pretty available good used block and having it bored .020 over and no sleeves..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:32 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
One of my buses has the Reviva t444e and it runs and starts perfectly. The odometer shows 30k so I’m wondering if that was replaced with the engine.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reman engine, reviva