Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2023, 04:24 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Scary Amount of Wires, What is This?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230314_161256.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	70973

This is in the back of my bus and bolted to the outside of my engine intake above the engine.

Wanting to relocate it about 2 feet away. Does anyone know what it is for so that I know how delicate to be with it?

Clouse House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse House View Post
Attachment 70973

This is in the back of my bus and bolted to the outside of my engine intake above the engine.

Wanting to relocate it about 2 feet away. Does anyone know what it is for so that I know how delicate to be with it?
Looks like air conditioning circuits to me.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
Skoolie

Nevermind, I don't know why I never checked the back of the cover before. It is the AC system relays and breakers.
Here's a photo of the diagram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230314_162644.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	70974
Clouse House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Yep AC control boards.
Since I pulled all my AC units I also pulled all of my AC boards (3 of them) and the huge battery cable supplying them. That meant I could pull the 255 feet of 6 or 7 conductor cable, 298 feet of refrigerant lines, 3 condensers, 3 evaporators, 2 AC compressors and their belt (and their associated power drain), as well as all the control switches and circuits.
HUNDREDS OF POUNDS in weight loss

A lot of SqFt of space GAINED under the bus
A lot of SqFt of space GAINED inside the bus
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:02 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Yep AC control boards.
Since I pulled all my AC units I also pulled all of my AC boards (3 of them) and the huge battery cable supplying them. That meant I could pull the 255 feet of 6 or 7 conductor cable, 298 feet of refrigerant lines, 3 condensers, 3 evaporators, 2 AC compressors and their belt (and their associated power drain), as well as all the control switches and circuits.
HUNDREDS OF POUNDS in weight loss

A lot of SqFt of space GAINED under the bus
A lot of SqFt of space GAINED inside the bus
I have 2 condensers, 3 evaporators, and 2 compressors. I'm removing the rear AC evaporators with its compressor and condenser. Leaving in the front and mid system for when we are driving.
Doing my best to remove everything in a way to not damage it. So far so good. I'm sure someone with a non-AC bus would appreciate the system for themselves.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:51 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse House View Post
I'm sure someone with a non-AC bus would appreciate the system for themselves.
You may be surprised. Of the entire system, the only thing I was able to find a buyer for were the condensers. I broke down the evaporators into their constituent parts this week and will be scrapping the metal. I now have a whole bunch of dual fan blowers from a Carrier system available to those who might want a spare.
When the bus is done and on the road those two will be disposed of.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 03-18-2023, 05:56 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
You may be surprised. Of the entire system, the only thing I was able to find a buyer for were the condensers. I broke down the evaporators into their constituent parts this week and will be scrapping the metal. I now have a whole bunch of dual fan blowers from a Carrier system available to those who might want a spare.
When the bus is done and on the road those two will be disposed of.
Maybe I'll just put it in my van then.
It has no working ac at the moment and I bet this can turn it into an ice cream truck.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:02 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I almost never pay for A/C parts.. people give them to me all the time and i repurpose them.. I have fixed a *LOT* of broken bus A/C for churches, those converting that have no A/C, friends' busses.. and even smaller schools that need it or want it.. I rarely ever charge anyone anything except materials...

and of course ive air-conditioned every bus I own.. (I refuse to drive like its 1949)..

its defimitely worth keeping the front.. and if you are insulating the bus nicely, the rear can go without issues..

do save the wiring.. Ive helped quite a few people remove their bus A/C systems.. if im not planning on installing it in something else, I give them the wiring back.. that nice multi-conductor cable is great for hooking up all kinds of stuff.. the wires within it are often varying sizes from 10 gauge to 16...
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
do save the wiring.. Ive helped quite a few people remove their bus A/C systems.. if im not planning on installing it in something else, I give them the wiring back.. that nice multi-conductor cable is great for hooking up all kinds of stuff.. the wires within it are often varying sizes from 10 gauge to 16...

Ditto on saving the wiring, and especially those heavy gauge cables. I may well use a good amount of it in wiring the DC circuitry in our rig and, as a HAM radio operator they make great antennae.