Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3700
Engine: IDI 7,3L V8
Speedometer jumps around

Hi,

a question about the speedometer on my International 3700, '92, 7,3L V8.

Every time I go off, so after a few miles, when the engine warms up, the speedometer starts to jump until after a short time it jumps to zero and does not move at all.

Does anyone have a tip for me, what can be broken there?

Greetings
Mirko

Stoneage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
International gauge clusters are known to be problematic like that. In our case, it's happened with just some of the gauges (speed, RPM, oil pressure, water temp, voltage) or all at the same time. Is it only speed in your case? It could be a different problem too, of course.

There's a youtube video showing how to fix an International gauge cluster with a soldering iron. Ours only fails every once in awhile, then it starts working again until I'm confident it'll be okay...then it fails again, just to show me who's boss.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You can purchase a device (for around $180, I think?) that plugs into your dashboard and transmits gauge data via bluetooth; you run an app on a tablet that displays a virtual dashboard (Bluefire is the one I'm planning to get). As I understand it, this bypasses any problems with the physical dashboard (i.e. if the dash displays freeze or go to zero or whatever, this would not happen on the tablet app - it would continue to display accurate information).

My dash occasionally freezes for a few minutes at a time (everything except air pressure which is a mechanical link). My long-term plans have included having tablet dashboard anyway, so I'm just going to get one now and not waste any time mucking around with trying to re-solder the physical link.

Edit: sorry, never mind. I didn't notice that your bus is a '92 - I don't think it has this thing I'm talking about (only works on electronic engines, I'm pretty sure).
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
As said, international had issues with their dash boards in the 90's from poor quality manufacturing. You can try and fix it yourself, and there are youtube videos online showing how to do so, or there are companies that you can send your dashboard to and they will repair it for a fee.

Being a 92, it's a mechanical engine so there is no computer or data link with which to use a tablet on.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
You can purchase a device (for around $180, I think?) that plugs into your dashboard and transmits gauge data via bluetooth; you run an app on a tablet that displays a virtual dashboard (Bluefire is the one I'm planning to get). As I understand it, this bypasses any problems with the physical dashboard (i.e. if the dash displays freeze or go to zero or whatever, this would not happen on the tablet app - it would continue to display accurate information).

My dash occasionally freezes for a few minutes at a time (everything except air pressure which is a mechanical link). My long-term plans have included having tablet dashboard anyway, so I'm just going to get one now and not waste any time mucking around with trying to re-solder the physical link.

Edit: sorry, never mind. I didn't notice that your bus is a '92 - I don't think it has this thing I'm talking about (only works on electronic engines, I'm pretty sure).
I am looking forward to getting the Bluefire as well. Unfortunately for the OP it will not work on their 1992.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Bus Geek

This isn't my video, but is one of the many videos I referenced.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Do you happen to have a link that shows a 2003 like mine - and maybe also shows how to get the dash out? If it's as easy as just touching up those solder points, I may give it a go.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Bus Geek

That video was something I found in a matter of seconds through a youtube search. I think the same(similar?) dash was used from the late 80's into the early 2000's, so that solder video is what you should follow for all those years. As far as removal goes, it's nothing more then a few screws and clips holding it in. A google search should give you that.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3700
Engine: IDI 7,3L V8
I try this as shown at the video, thanks!
Stoneage is offline   Reply With Quote