Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: International VT365
Rated Cap: 71 pass
Strange Engine swap

Alrighty. I’m looking at a possible engine swap for my bus (2006 IC CE200) which involves taking out the VT365 that was in it (smokes coolant like no tomorrow and down on compression on 3 cylinders) and potentially swapping in a 6.0L Powerstroke V8 (out of a wrecked dually F350 pickup) to keep the bus going as a temporary measure.

I know the block and heads are the same between the two engines. And I know Ford specific bits won’t transfer over in the CE application (accessory drive, etc.) But is there anything else I should be aware of (I.e. specific parts to transfer onto the 6.0 from the VT365, or other things and information)

(I do plan on keeping the original engine for a rebuild and placing it back in the bus later on down the line. Any advice on trying to restore compression in the current engine or any repair advice would be appreciated as well.)

Flying I 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:11 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
from what I understand the Long block is the same.. but if I were taking a ford motor and swapping it in... i'd go ahead and build it first..

as for restoring compression... you have to get it apart to find out whats killing the compression... did steam the pistons? broken valve springs? blown head gaskets?

you need to get it apart... those blocks can be worked... most often you dont just "restore compression" and put it back in... if its at that point.. time to rebuild it.. or core-it and by a reman Long block (or have a local shop do it)...

these motors are still popular and parts are still everywhere for them so you should be in decent shape...

if it were my bus id pull the engine, rebuild it.. Mahle pistons, studded and buttetproofed (or even EGR delete altogether).. call Powerhungry, get an orion tuner.. and be singing "Little Six point Ohhh" as you pass everything in sight!
but that might be out of your budget....
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
Almost There

The Ford motor is only a temporary swap, as I am going to rebuild the original VT365 that is in the bus currently. As for restoring compression, and the cause of why the compression was low, I have a sneaking suspicion that when the bus was in service, ether was employed to get the bus going in the wintertime. No blown head gaskets, no broken valve springs from what I could see with the valve covers off.

The modifications you suggested, while ideal and something I would do, budgetary constraints prevent me from doing so. I was told once, despite the engines being popular still, that no one really worked on the lm because the engine architecture was too old.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying I 365 View Post
The Ford motor is only a temporary swap, as I am going to rebuild the original VT365 that is in the bus currently. As for restoring compression, and the cause of why the compression was low, I have a sneaking suspicion that when the bus was in service, ether was employed to get the bus going in the wintertime. No blown head gaskets, no broken valve springs from what I could see with the valve covers off.

The modifications you suggested, while ideal and something I would do, budgetary constraints prevent me from doing so. I was told once, despite the engines being popular still, that no one really worked on the lm because the engine architecture was too old.

plenty of people worked on 6.0's Powerstroke specialties did and still does make a huge part of their living off of 6.0, the 6.4 is the one everyone threw in the trash, and of course the 7.3 still gets a lot of love because they really do last despite them being out of production in IH factories since 04 In the states.

oil cooler and EGR cooler i wouldnt even consider putting a 6.0 back in a vehicle without those.. studding and tuning are not required.. you will esp want to get your block and head machined esp if you arent going to stud it, these are very Unforgiving due to the lower number of head bolts.. injectors you can have tested.. new injector O-rings are a Must.. ford-brand glowplugs(ONLY use these)... yes replace all 8..

with the lower RPM, HP and torque the VT puts out vs the ford means you can last a good long time with bolts vs studs..
Old 07-20-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
Almost There

Sounds like even in the VT application I would need Ford specific parts for the engine itself.

Would I need to calibrate the VT computer for the Ford engine (I’m sure the wiring isn’t the same.)
Old 07-20-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

just the glowplugs come from Ford.. thats because aftermarket brands are known to swell and be stuck in the heads forever..

oil / EGR coolers you get aftermarket (bulletproof brand or other similar)..

typically the belt drive is different on most IH vs the ford counterparts.. I know it was on the 6.4 and 7.3, not sure about the 6.0.. thats why I say the Long Block is the same, other parts you move over
Old 07-23-2022, 08:38 AM   #7
Almost There

So far the swap would seem to be pretty straightforward.

Would anything need to be recalibrated between the two engines
Old 07-23-2022, 09:32 AM   #8
Bus Geek

you would use the computers and sensors from your IH.. i would compare the injectors, I believe the injectors are the same but its easy to look at HEUI injectors and compare the models. if the yare the same and the ford is a known good runner, then I wouldnt even pull them out of the heads.. leave them seated, if you do move them over be sure to use fresh O-ring Kits and watch that you retrieve the copper washer on each one when you pull it out.. you dont want 2 copper washers stacked,

glowplugs as ive mentioned, change all 8.. they are a wear item, limited lifespan esp if you drive alot in cold weather
Old 07-23-2022, 09:49 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Swap all the computers for sure. I don't think the ford units use j1939 at all, and your allison definitely will be using that. IDK if harness and connector pinouts would be the same, I've never checked, and it's something I would definitely check before a swap.

As ck said, long blocks in my experience are the same, including injectors. I think the turbos are different, but that wouldn't be part of the long block. Accessories will definitely be different, and reliant on what the chassis needs, like air compressors for instance.

Vt365 engines seemed to have half the issues the ford 6.0 did, I think because fords had 100 more hp but I can't say for certain.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:03 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Swap all the computers for sure. I don't think the ford units use j1939 at all, and your allison definitely will be using that. IDK if harness and connector pinouts would be the same, I've never checked, and it's something I would definitely check before a swap.

As ck said, long blocks in my experience are the same, including injectors. I think the turbos are different, but that wouldn't be part of the long block. Accessories will definitely be different, and reliant on what the chassis needs, like air compressors for instance.

Vt365 engines seemed to have half the issues the ford 6.0 did, I think because fords had 100 more hp but I can't say for certain.

lower HP, lower RPM, alot of times commercial entities did a better job of oil and coolant maintenance too which is paramount in preserving a VT365.. keeping the oil and EGR coolers Clean.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #11
Almost There

Bus was equipped for school service with the bare minimum options at the time. (She was a former FS unit) Came equipped with hydraulic brakes, leaf spring suspension, the usual hydraulic parking brake under the drivers side frame rail, no A/C installed, spring drivers seat, etc. Essentially no Air options or A/C to speak of.

As for the 6.0L engine, I was told it was a good runner, the truck suffered an impact in the left front quarter that didn’t damage anything on the engine itself. I’ll take the advice and change the glow plugs and check the injectors but they would appear to be the same, with the same 4-pin connector.