Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2024, 10:28 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt466e
Stupid oil pan bolts question

So, I'm putting my oil pan back on and just now realized that the bolts are diffrent lengths. I know, I know, I can be pretty ditzy sometimes. Anyone know where the short ones go?

My manual says the torque for these is 24 ft lbs. Is that right?

Also, I can't find the sequence for the bolts in my manual. Anyone know that too?

!eslie.brewer.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when I sequence oil pan bolts I will screw them all in by finger until the pan appears to be up against its gasket.. then I start in the center of the pan and work toward the ends.. so ill go center on the left, center on the right, next one toward the end on the left, diagonal one on the right and so on to 5 ft lbs, if the gasket im using has called for RTV, I will typically leave it sit this way for an hour to let the RTV set up at a very low torque.. some manuals call for RTV others dont... not sure on your particular engine.

next ill torque to 15 ft lbs, then ill go to the recommended torque.. most are 25-30.. IH apparently is 24 so thats the torque I use..

I always clean my bolts and make sure the holes are clean too but not full of oil.. ..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:09 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt466e
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
when I sequence oil pan bolts I will screw them all in by finger until the pan appears to be up against its gasket.. then I start in the center of the pan and work toward the ends.. so ill go center on the left, center on the right, next one toward the end on the left, diagonal one on the right and so on to 5 ft lbs, if the gasket im using has called for RTV, I will typically leave it sit this way for an hour to let the RTV set up at a very low torque.. some manuals call for RTV others dont... not sure on your particular engine.

next ill torque to 15 ft lbs, then ill go to the recommended torque.. most are 25-30.. IH apparently is 24 so thats the torque I use..

I always clean my bolts and make sure the holes are clean too but not full of oil.. ..
Thank you very much.

Any idea about the short vs long bolt location?

If no one chimes in, I'll just start screwing the long ones in and the ones that don't go all the way in must be where the short ones go.

I usually pay more attention when I take stuff apart. Not like me to not notice something like this.
!eslie.brewer.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:36 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
If I am not mistaken, the long bolts go on the sides of the pan (12 bolts?), where the flat bars are on each side of the pan. the short ones go front and rear of the pan.
And yes, torque is 24 lbs.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:08 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
My go to for silicone is the grey silicone from permatex.

As for applying silicone, please see attached. As mentioned already. apply silicone, hand tighten pan in place, generally I just use an extension and socket and use it like a screwdriver, snug, not tight, should not be hand reefing on the extension. Then tighten to final torque after some time, typically an hour. At the end, read instruction on the stuff your using. I far to often see failed silicone job from tightening to final torque on assembly or putting unit into service before allowing it to cure. Me personally, when I can, I'll wait a day before installing oil into a component but I have gotten away with letting it cure overnight with no come backs. (assembled in the afternoon, oil installed and released in the morning when something is really needed.)

https://www.permatex.com/the-ten-mos...ur%20to%20cure.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:33 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
My go to for silicone is the grey silicone from permatex.

As for applying silicone, please see attached. As mentioned already. apply silicone, hand tighten pan in place, generally I just use an extension and socket and use it like a screwdriver, snug, not tight, should not be hand reefing on the extension. Then tighten to final torque after some time, typically an hour. At the end, read instruction on the stuff your using. I far to often see failed silicone job from tightening to final torque on assembly or putting unit into service before allowing it to cure. Me personally, when I can, I'll wait a day before installing oil into a component but I have gotten away with letting it cure overnight with no come backs. (assembled in the afternoon, oil installed and released in the morning when something is really needed.)

https://www.permatex.com/the-ten-mos...ur%20to%20cure.

by far the biggest mistake people make is what you mention... they slather on way too much silicone then just tighten 'er up and go for a ride....

the reason silicone doesnt harden in the tube is because its not exposed to air.. if you slather it on too think only the outer layer cures.. if you put it on and tighten it down right away it never cures... letting it partially cure at finger tight means it will get nice N tacky but not completely squeeze out when you do tighten it down.. creating a true gasket surface..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:00 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
by far the biggest mistake people make is what you mention... they slather on way too much silicone then just tighten 'er up and go for a ride..
Exactly, the OP probably already has his pan installed by now, just figured to add for future readers.

Always love the......"why is my diff cover leaking, I used a whole tube on it." Question.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dt466e, oil pan bolts