Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: Int. DT466
Rated Cap: 35
suggestions on my engine swap?

I've got an 86 international s 1700 bus with a 6.9L engine. I've been running wvo for a few years now and have had great success traveling around the country, that is, until last summer when after a very unfortunate miss-communication I ended up with a small amount of corrosive acid going through my engine (long story)..... I ended up with low compression in a cylinder. So I'm taking this opportunity to get the best engine that I can and had a few questions since I'm still pretty new to this and am becoming a mechanic as I go along.
I was leaning towards the dt466 based on all the good things I've heard about it's reliability and ability to run veg. I know that the inline 6 style is longer and taller than my v8, will it fit in my hood? I've seen some pics of S1700s with DT466s online, they all have dog houses. are those something that you can add with any ease? I have an allison 545 auto trans, are those compatible with the dt466? exhaust? engine mounts?
is it more hassle than it's worth? if so, is there an engine that's more compatible with my set up with performance and veggie power comparable to the dt466? thanks for any info

kyletheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Bus Nut

engine swap?

Your ideas have been considered by many. The 466 engine is a highly desired engine. This engine is an expensive engine. I have a 1991 BB with a 7.3 and have also considered making this same change. Good used engines are high in demand. The engine change is very doable. The trans should match up easily, and the Int frame has many engine and trans holes in the frame. The engine would stay in the same area with the front mount and rear mounts are adjustable.
The driveline would need to be shortened. The shift linkage, and throttle would need to be shortened or adjusted as needed. The radiator will work OK.
Finding any 466 would be OK but later engines require the computor. I really like my BB but the bus needs more power and a rear axle gear change. I just bought a 373 ratio. It is too cold now to make the change. Go for the change. ..Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Re: suggestions on my engine swap?

i think i saw a thing on youtube where a guy swapped cabs on an international. the donor had a v-8 7.3 int and other had the inline 6. he had to change the firewall for it. if you search his username its CanadCatalyst. its a bit of a gong show on his channel but you will see what they did. they swapped cabs because of rust and rot.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: Int. DT466
Rated Cap: 35

thanks for the info
I'm looking at a very reasonably priced dt466 with low miles. it's a 94 which I believe is the last year of the mechanical injection system. from what you're telling me I should go for it. I was most concerned with the tranny compatibility until today when I learned that the engine is being taken out of a bus with the same tranny! that makes me feel real good about it. everything else you mentioned seems like a worthy mod to get this engine rollin in my home. the only issue i'm still fuzzy on is the "dog house". is it basically just a hole cut in the rear wall of the engine compartment with one of those pre-fab doghouse units installled? (that strap to the floor)...... I'm just going off photos I've seen. what about sound dampening? and if I'm getting my engine from a bus with the same tranny then the rear diff should be good to go too right?
again, thanks much for the knowledge.
kyletheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

The DT466 came in increasingly rare mechanical flavor until 1997. My own bus has one from this year, in fact.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

I'd look for another 6.9 or 7.3, or fix your engine. I don't see a guy burning french fries as a power freak. Just get it back how it was as cheaply as you can. I wouldn't get a 466 and burn fry oil in it. I drive a TDI VW so I look for those. I just saw one like mine that had a grease conversion on it and the motor was burned up. No way I would run that stuff in a motor I cared about.