Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
I was thinking of just adding a relay to supply 12v current to the clutch via manual switch... but I don’t know the polarity. I don’t think having 12v coming in from the switch and Ecm would cause an issue but I will fuse the new relay to be safe.
I cooked the motor last fall on the first trip of a motor home I had just purchased, because the electric fan didn't kick on until too late - motor had been rebuilt just before I bought the motorhome - new tires all the way around, nice shape, no obvious signs of leaks - one 500 mile round trip, the last 50 spent on a hook - I'm still hemming and hawing about R&R the motor - so damned expensive to do in a cutaway - now the motorhome with the new tires and inoperable 'new' motor sits on the property doing duty as a spare bedroom - word to the wise that I should have paid attention to, make sure that fan is working properly

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
When the fan is spinning one wire will be positive and one will be negative.
Use a DPDT relay and put the NC contacts on it toward the OEM leads and use the NO contacts for your pos and meg ..

This way you should totally isolate the ECM and it’s relay when you are on overrode mode. You may toss a code and turn on the Engine light, however I think the ECM only looks that the factory relay exists and not the clutch itself. Which it still will since you would wire in past the factory bits

Perfect thanks! I still have to figure out the which wire is which.. but I think I have a way to hook a meter to it while my wife drives the bus till the fan kicks on.
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I cooked the motor last fall on the first trip of a motor home I had just purchased, because the electric fan didn't kick on until too late - motor had been rebuilt just before I bought the motorhome - new tires all the way around, nice shape, no obvious signs of leaks - one 500 mile round trip, the last 50 spent on a hook - I'm still hemming and hawing about R&R the motor - so damned expensive to do in a cutaway - now the motorhome with the new tires and inoperable 'new' motor sits on the property doing duty as a spare bedroom - word to the wise that I should have paid attention to, make sure that fan is working properly
Man that sucks. I've pulled engines from motor homes before, both out of the nose and one through the dog house. I never hope to have to deal with that madness again. Scrapping an RV sucks something fierce unless you have a tractor or something another to do the hard work, I cut up 2 RVs this year (pics are in my album). They are built like crap, I wouldn't ride in another again.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote