Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #1

T444E Cranks will not start

Hi I need help I just purchased a t444e from TX drove to Savannah on the last day i had 5 attempts to start it finally started and we drove back to Savannah the day after Iwent to start it it cranks but will not start we took off the air filter and sparayed wd40 in it it did not even try to start it will crank no sign of warning lights I checked water and oil kevels and topped up still no luck any idas anyone near savannah GA can help ?

karl269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is the WARN ENGINE light lighted?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Skoolie

I would try some 911 diesel treatment in the fuel tank it will chase the water out of the system and if you have glow plugs you shouldn't spray anything in to the manifold you might have a small explosion on your hands. If you don't have glow plugs use regular starting fluid it's more effective than WD-40.
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
If you don't have glow plugs use regular starting fluid it's more effective than WD-40.

I'm questioning that statement you made because my bus has an electric grid heater and no starting fluids allowed period.
Boom Not a good idea.

John
Old 08-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
I'd start by checking glow plug relay.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
Bus Geek

if its not cold out it should still kick over without the glowplugs.. on mine when its upper 50s and above I can just spin it and it starts like it was already warm.. I usually let it glow.. but for sport ive kicked the key without (mny DT360 doesnt even have them and starts fast).. so id expect a little longer cranking time in summer perhaps if its chilly but def not a no-start from lack of glow plugs. but all these engines vary somewhat it seems anyway.. and since fall is coming.. not a bad idea to checkl the glowplug relay anyway
-Christopher
Old 08-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
Skoolie

Okay I concur with BlackJohn. If you have any kind of electrical pre heating elements in your engine do not use any kind of accelerant or starting fluid to be safe. Even if it doesn't make a small explosion in your engine it will wreck your electrical components inside the engine.
milkmanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanchip View Post
Okay I concur with BlackJohn. If you have any kind of electrical pre heating elements in your engine do not use any kind of accelerant or starting fluid to be safe. Even if it doesn't make a small explosion in your engine it will wreck your electrical components inside the engine.
What electrical components are inside the engine? All i find is pistons, crank, rods, bearings, etc. however, Am looking for the new electrified one wire connecting rods...
Old 08-14-2017, 01:46 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
What electrical components are inside the engine? All i find is pistons, crank, rods, bearings, etc. however, Am looking for the new electrified one wire connecting rods...
The T444 engines (as well as the "E" electronic version), and the 6.9 and 7.3 Ford engines all use glow plugs to preheat. Using starting fluid (or, well, anything flammable, really) can lead to unexpected combustion in the intake system, possibly ruining sensors, glow plugs, plastic things, gaskets, and who-knows-what-else.

Other electrical components "inside" the engine are the electronic injectors and associated wiring (under the valve covers on the electronic engines) and various other computer sensors, oil pressure and coolant temperature sensors, cam-position sensor ... you get the idea.

The Cummins 5.9 engines (at least in the Chrysler products) have a small electric grid (looks like window screen material) that serves the preheat function. Similarly, don't use anything as starting fluid, for the same reasons.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
Bus Geek

the injectors are the most expensive part you'll ruin in a 444E with rogue explosions.. aftermarket they are almost $200 a piece.. and a bit of a pain to replace.. (they are inside the valve covers)..

you also run the risk of blowing the tip off a glowplug. and that will in turn eat up a piston head, scratch a cylinder wall..

WD-40 is one of the "Tamer" starting asids as it is not nearly as explosive as ether...

there are several things that have to happen to make a 444E fire..

obviously you need compression - which you most likely have.. then you need fuel. in a 444E fuel is delivered to the top of the engine mechanically.. by a cam-driven fuel pump.. (YES THIS DIFFERS FROM THE FORD!!)... once fuel is in the rail.. it can be snagged by the injectors.. this fuel flow is not controlled other than the pressure regulator.. if the pressure regulator (mechanical) sticks.. you'll bot feed enbough fuel to the rails in the heads..

Next you need oil.. the 444E has 2 oil pumps.. the Lube oil (Crank driven concentric gear pump).. this is the normal oil pump most think of that keeps the bearings lubricated (and you see on the gauge). the HPOP or High pressure oil pump creates Very high oil pressure which is used to multiply the Fuel supply pressure in the rails.. this is done inside the injectors.. the HPOP has a reservoire which is regulated and kept full.. if you change your oil, and fail to pre-fill your oil filter you can end up oil-starving the HPOP.. your engine would start, run for 15 seconds or so, stall and not restart without LOTS of cranking.. its not a sure thing but can and does happen..
if for some reason your HPOP reservoire drained while the bus has sat then you would have crank no start. you also 'SHould" set a code at this point and illuminate the WARN ENGINE light.. as the computer will see its trying to command oil pressure to the HPOP but seeing no or low pressure..

and finally you need the computer to command the injectors.. the 444E will fail to start if it doesnt see an RPM reading while cranking.. the Cam / Crank sensor is used by the engine to know at what points to pulse the injectors.. its an index so the computer knows what portion of the stroke and what stroke each cylinder is in so it can fire the injector at the correct time. with no Cam signal you should set a Code and light the WARN ENGINE light as well.

if the ICP (HPOP pressure SENSOR) is bad, the computer will run the engine wit ha pre-defined value. and pre-defined setpoint for the IPR (the Pressure regulator itself).. based on RPM , throttle, and engine load.

if the IPR (HPOP pressure regulator itself) goes bad.. then the computer may not be able to create the necessary HPOP pressure to run the engine.. though when ive seen or heard ofthis the engine feels like it "tries" to start just wont quite "catch"..

-Christopher