Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 09:52 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
T444E Radiator/Intercooler Nix

My bus has a T444E engine with the ridiculous, asinine, moronic, whimpy, idiotic, insane, stupid, silly, ridiculous, obnoxious, pedestrian, pedantic, ludicrous, senseless, foolhardy, hairbrained, etc. half radiator/half intercooler setup.

I wish to change this preposterous setup to a full radiator and separate intercoolor setup. I don't mind if I have to modify the hood, as my bus is going to be unique.

Does anyone have suggestions for this setup? Radiator? Intercooler?

Thanks in advance!

Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:07 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Following. I know there have been some folks who have done this. I wish I had more info. I would also be interested.
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:53 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Full size

Look for radiator/ inter cooler from international 4900. They had three or four row radiators. With and without oil cooler heat exchanger built into the bottom of the radiator. That means four part numbers each will fit and each is different. A new radiator will be in the $500 to $900 range. Then you may have to figure out new intercooler hose/ piping and radiator hoses. You better look close at How radiator supports and mounts too. This is not a simple bolt in deal.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hey Joe, since you're also in AZ you're welcome to bring your new radiator up this way when you get it. I'd be happy to donate a couple of hours to fabricating/welding new brackets. It sounds like an interesting project...but not now...we've got a winter storm going on...time to plow again!

BTW, when you go shopping for another radiator give American Truck Salvage on Broadway Road, in Phoenix, a try. They have parts removed and sorted by type, so you could take your tape measure and browse through the rows of radiators. There are lots of truck salvage options in that area, but I like that they're somewhat organized and have a huge selection and they let you wander and browse. They have shelves full of Davco fuel filters, for example, and they're already out of the truck...handy.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
I thought about this as well...

If you look in my thread "Transmission Options" on page 11 you see I had issues with the threads for the trans cooling lines

but there are a couple of good pics of the T444E and the wimpy rad setup if you want to grab them and post here....

I removed them both, found out the year models were slightly different sizes

hemmed and hawed and in my case put in a stand alone trans cooler for $150 as the price of a new crap split rad was like $500+ and my radiatior was still ok.

I've thought about using a tractor style (you can go and look at them physically at agri supply, and get ideas) but never did get to it.

also toyed with the idea of another radiation that is rear mounted with a leccy fans and split the cooling line

but anyway you are welcome to the pics for this thread, as it shows it all apart and in your face

cheers and following close this one
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
Following. I know there have been some folks who have done this. I wish I had more info. I would also be interested.

I'll do a video on it when I get there. I'll post it on my youtube bus channel.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Look for radiator/ inter cooler from international 4900. They had three or four row radiators. With and without oil cooler heat exchanger built into the bottom of the radiator. That means four part numbers each will fit and each is different. A new radiator will be in the $500 to $900 range. Then you may have to figure out new intercooler hose/ piping and radiator hoses. You better look close at How radiator supports and mounts too. This is not a simple bolt in deal.

William

Will do.
Thanks.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
I thought about this as well...

If you look in my thread "Transmission Options" on page 11 you see I had issues with the threads for the trans cooling lines

but there are a couple of good pics of the T444E and the wimpy rad setup if you want to grab them and post here....

I removed them both, found out the year models were slightly different sizes

hemmed and hawed and in my case put in a stand alone trans cooler for $150 as the price of a new crap split rad was like $500+ and my radiatior was still ok.

I've thought about using a tractor style (you can go and look at them physically at agri supply, and get ideas) but never did get to it.

also toyed with the idea of another radiation that is rear mounted with a leccy fans and split the cooling line

but anyway you are welcome to the pics for this thread, as it shows it all apart and in your face

cheers and following close this one

OK
Thanks

I will put up a video when this gets done.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hey Joe, since you're also in AZ you're welcome to bring your new radiator up this way when you get it. I'd be happy to donate a couple of hours to fabricating/welding new brackets. It sounds like an interesting project...but not now...we've got a winter storm going on...time to plow again!

BTW, when you go shopping for another radiator give American Truck Salvage on Broadway Road, in Phoenix, a try. They have parts removed and sorted by type, so you could take your tape measure and browse through the rows of radiators. There are lots of truck salvage options in that area, but I like that they're somewhat organized and have a huge selection and they let you wander and browse. They have shelves full of Davco fuel filters, for example, and they're already out of the truck...handy.

Thanks for that info! I will check them out!

I'm in the White Mountains, so just about 2.5 hours from you!

I'm going to focus on the interior of the bus during this cold and worry about the outside when it warms up (Spring or Summer). Trying to get all this information so I can plan ahead and make an educated decision.

I will take you up on that offer once it warms up! Would like to do a good video on it so others can benefit from it.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2021, 07:09 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
This is a very important topic/mod for split rad navistar owners.
With my Cat and full rad/full IC it runs steady temps even with the 545. Adding an additional trans cooler for the heck of it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
I'm in the White Mountains, so just about 2.5 hours from you!

I'm going to focus on the interior of the bus during this cold and worry about the outside when it warms up (Spring or Summer). Trying to get all this information so I can plan ahead and make an educated decision.

I will take you up on that offer once it warms up! Would like to do a good video on it so others can benefit from it.
That sounds good - now's not a good time, anyway, since our work space is outside and we've got almost 2 feet of snow here...with more coming tonight or tomorrow. In the White Mountains, you know what that's like! But when it warms up, come on over.

The video sounds like a good idea. I've got a CNC plasma cutting table. If we come up with a decent bracket/mount option, it would be easy to replicate for others in that boat.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote