RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-24-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
Joe45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: AZ
Posts: 456
Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
T444E Radiator/Intercooler Nix

My bus has a T444E engine with the ridiculous, asinine, moronic, whimpy, idiotic, insane, stupid, silly, ridiculous, obnoxious, pedestrian, pedantic, ludicrous, senseless, foolhardy, hairbrained, etc. half radiator/half intercooler setup.


I wish to change this preposterous setup to a full radiator and separate intercoolor setup. I don't mind if I have to modify the hood, as my bus is going to be unique.


Does anyone have suggestions for this setup? Radiator? Intercooler?


Thanks in advance!
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:07 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
johnbloem1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Montana/Texas
Posts: 618
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Following. I know there have been some folks who have done this. I wish I had more info. I would also be interested.
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:53 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 826
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Full size

Look for radiator/ inter cooler from international 4900. They had three or four row radiators. With and without oil cooler heat exchanger built into the bottom of the radiator. That means four part numbers each will fit and each is different. A new radiator will be in the $500 to $900 range. Then you may have to figure out new intercooler hose/ piping and radiator hoses. You better look close at How radiator supports and mounts too. This is not a simple bolt in deal.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Near Flagstaff AZ
Posts: 499
Hey Joe, since you're also in AZ you're welcome to bring your new radiator up this way when you get it. I'd be happy to donate a couple of hours to fabricating/welding new brackets. It sounds like an interesting project...but not now...we've got a winter storm going on...time to plow again!

BTW, when you go shopping for another radiator give American Truck Salvage on Broadway Road, in Phoenix, a try. They have parts removed and sorted by type, so you could take your tape measure and browse through the rows of radiators. There are lots of truck salvage options in that area, but I like that they're somewhat organized and have a huge selection and they let you wander and browse. They have shelves full of Davco fuel filters, for example, and they're already out of the truck...handy.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Wake Forest NC
Posts: 429
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
I thought about this as well...

If you look in my thread "Transmission Options" on page 11 you see I had issues with the threads for the trans cooling lines

but there are a couple of good pics of the T444E and the wimpy rad setup if you want to grab them and post here....

I removed them both, found out the year models were slightly different sizes

hemmed and hawed and in my case put in a stand alone trans cooler for $150 as the price of a new crap split rad was like $500+ and my radiatior was still ok.

I've thought about using a tractor style (you can go and look at them physically at agri supply, and get ideas) but never did get to it.

also toyed with the idea of another radiation that is rear mounted with a leccy fans and split the cooling line

but anyway you are welcome to the pics for this thread, as it shows it all apart and in your face

cheers and following close this one
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Joe45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: AZ
Posts: 456
Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
Following. I know there have been some folks who have done this. I wish I had more info. I would also be interested.

I'll do a video on it when I get there. I'll post it on my youtube bus channel.
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Joe45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: AZ
Posts: 456
Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Look for radiator/ inter cooler from international 4900. They had three or four row radiators. With and without oil cooler heat exchanger built into the bottom of the radiator. That means four part numbers each will fit and each is different. A new radiator will be in the $500 to $900 range. Then you may have to figure out new intercooler hose/ piping and radiator hoses. You better look close at How radiator supports and mounts too. This is not a simple bolt in deal.

William

Will do.
Thanks.
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Joe45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: AZ
Posts: 456
Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
I thought about this as well...

If you look in my thread "Transmission Options" on page 11 you see I had issues with the threads for the trans cooling lines

but there are a couple of good pics of the T444E and the wimpy rad setup if you want to grab them and post here....

I removed them both, found out the year models were slightly different sizes

hemmed and hawed and in my case put in a stand alone trans cooler for $150 as the price of a new crap split rad was like $500+ and my radiatior was still ok.

I've thought about using a tractor style (you can go and look at them physically at agri supply, and get ideas) but never did get to it.

also toyed with the idea of another radiation that is rear mounted with a leccy fans and split the cooling line

but anyway you are welcome to the pics for this thread, as it shows it all apart and in your face

cheers and following close this one



OK
Thanks


I will put up a video when this gets done.
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Joe45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: AZ
Posts: 456
Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hey Joe, since you're also in AZ you're welcome to bring your new radiator up this way when you get it. I'd be happy to donate a couple of hours to fabricating/welding new brackets. It sounds like an interesting project...but not now...we've got a winter storm going on...time to plow again!

BTW, when you go shopping for another radiator give American Truck Salvage on Broadway Road, in Phoenix, a try. They have parts removed and sorted by type, so you could take your tape measure and browse through the rows of radiators. There are lots of truck salvage options in that area, but I like that they're somewhat organized and have a huge selection and they let you wander and browse. They have shelves full of Davco fuel filters, for example, and they're already out of the truck...handy.

Thanks for that info! I will check them out!


I'm in the White Mountains, so just about 2.5 hours from you!

I'm going to focus on the interior of the bus during this cold and worry about the outside when it warms up (Spring or Summer). Trying to get all this information so I can plan ahead and make an educated decision.


I will take you up on that offer once it warms up! Would like to do a good video on it so others can benefit from it.


Thanks!
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:09 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,031
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
This is a very important topic/mod for split rad navistar owners.
With my Cat and full rad/full IC it runs steady temps even with the 545. Adding an additional trans cooler for the heck of it.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Near Flagstaff AZ
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
I'm in the White Mountains, so just about 2.5 hours from you!

I'm going to focus on the interior of the bus during this cold and worry about the outside when it warms up (Spring or Summer). Trying to get all this information so I can plan ahead and make an educated decision.

I will take you up on that offer once it warms up! Would like to do a good video on it so others can benefit from it.
That sounds good - now's not a good time, anyway, since our work space is outside and we've got almost 2 feet of snow here...with more coming tonight or tomorrow. In the White Mountains, you know what that's like! But when it warms up, come on over.

The video sounds like a good idea. I've got a CNC plasma cutting table. If we come up with a decent bracket/mount option, it would be easy to replicate for others in that boat.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×