Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

throw out pto bearing?

I am new to this so help me out. I was talking to a guy about his bus and he mentioned that his transmission had a throw out bearing? It sounded like there was a PTO attatchment on the thing to me because I had no idea what he was talking about. It allowed him to have the bus running and the transmission in gear but it didn't spin the axle it spun something else that powered the generators. I was hoping somebody would know what I was talking about. the bus is a good drive away from me or id go back and ask.

thanks for any help

newtoskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25
Re: throw our pto bearing?

I don't want to sound condescending, but every manual transmission has a throw-out bearing- it's one of the most critical pieces to clutch operation.
As far as PTO's (PTO- power take off) go, they are a handy accessory that can be attached on to many manual transmissions, that are essentially another set of gears that can power a variety of things- winches, pumps, farm implements, your friends generator, etc.- and are very handy, indeed.
Most all good sized tractors have them, and on tractors especially, they can be very dangerous. People get chewed up by them every year. Anyhow, this isn't a detailed explanation, but I hope it helps.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Bus Nut

pto HUH????

Yep with every manual trans there must be a throw out bearing. This device disengages the engine from the trans. A pto, power take off, is a place to connect a variety of devices to the vehicle. A hyd pump, winch, or other devices to be controlled by engine speed. The pto is seperate of the trans but is controlled, usually via a cable to engage and is controlled with engine rpm. Connecting a gen set would be a good idea with some restrictions. This could be a quick and dirty method of powering a gen set. Things that would affect this method of making electric power, gen set size, need to know required engine rpm and wiring requirements. I had a 3KW gen set that was powered by a farm tractor. This is OK for some emergency but maybe not for a rv traveler. Most rv's do not need more than about 7KW at 120 volt AC. This might be a neet item to have if the gen set is a welder..... Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Re: throw out pto bearing?

I will be using the bus to haul a race car. Where do I install the PTO? I will only need the pto on when using air or a welder. I know that every clutch has a throw out bearing. the guy was telling me it was a throw out bearing but i believed it tobe a PTO. Thats what I was trying to get to the bottom of.

anyone installed a pto onto there bus?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

It's installed directly onto your trans., but first you've gotta make sure your trans. will accept a PTO, then source one to install. My old New Process has a removable plate on each side in order to accept a PTO. Many, but not all, trans. are set up to take a PTO.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

does anybody have a list of transmissions that will accept a PTO?