Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/new...ure-is-the-key

https://www.truckinginfo.com/159434/...for-your-tires

75 is a common rating but its not a hard limit.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
If you blow a tire and cause a crash.. and it’s determined you were going faster than the tires rated speed then get familiar with the jailbird and homeless lifestyles..

Want to go fast then go buy tires rated for the speed.. they may cost more but it’s worth it
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
75 is a common rating but its not a hard limit.
Whatever the manufacturer's speed rating is, be it 75mph or something else, is a hard limit. It's the maximum safe sustained speed a manufacturer rates their tires to be operated at. It's independent of pressure and load, as it assumes both to be within acceptable parameters. You might lower the effective safe speed of a tire by running less-than-optimum pressure, but you're not going to increase the rated safe speed doing the same.

Whether you or anyone else chooses to ignore it is a separate matter entirely. The 5psi for every 5mph over the rated tire limit 'rule-of-thumb' referenced in the article you cited makes me cringe.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I'm trying to figure out who in their right mind wants to do 75mph in a bus. I've driven a number of trucks governed at 65 and 70 which was as fast as I dared to go in ideal conditions. I shutter to think the outcome of someone doing 70-75mph in the size of vehicle we're discussing and then failing to recognize changing conditions soon enough to maintain control. Whether rated for those speeds or not, a blowout at that speed is nonetheless jarring and far less likely to turn out well.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I'm trying to figure out who in their right mind wants to do 75mph in a bus. I've driven a number of trucks governed at 65 and 70 which was as fast as I dared to go in ideal conditions. I shutter to think the outcome of someone doing 70-75mph in the size of vehicle we're discussing and then failing to recognize changing conditions soon enough to maintain control. Whether rated for those speeds or not, a blowout at that speed is nonetheless jarring and far less likely to turn out well.
Exactly.

The difference between 65 & 75 in terms of how long it takes you to get from A to B is linear, and in most cases is fairly insignificant. The impact on fuel economy, on safety, and on component longevity is more along the lines of an incremental curve. The faster you go, the less sense it makes. Squared.

I just want to go fast enough to not be a rolling road hazard. Past that, it's just wasted fuel.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

I get past by 18 wheelers going 90 everyday...
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:47 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
They're idiots.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Whatever the manufacturer's speed rating is, be it 75mph or something else, is a hard limit. It's the maximum safe sustained speed a manufacturer rates their tires to be operated at.
Its not a "hard limit" in so far that no, your tires don't pop 1mph/1psi over their rating. The rated pressures and speeds always incorporate headroom into the figure.

I will agree that going over the specified ratings is a great way to get yourself in trouble. Whether the machines will go 80mph or not, whether the tires will run at 90mph or 10psi above their rating is a separate question to whether that is a good idea. Its not.

One, when something happens, and you're operating above spec, that is giving your insurance a way out of paying and the government a pretext to take action against you.
Two, the headroom included in the rating exists for your benefit. The life of your tire is prolonged by operating in spec, versus 100% of what the tire may physically be capable of.
Third, mass manufacturing of anything guarantees some level of variability in top-end capabilities- attempting to go >10PSI or >10MPH may work flawlessly for one tire, but cause another to fail.

Tl;DR: Don't go above/beyond spec, its not worth it. Get higher spec'd tires if you want faster speeds.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Hell, the only reason I wont get honked at and brake checked at 75 is because its a school bus. The roads I travel most people do 85-95 and get REALLY pissed if your going less then 80.
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Coaches run 80 all the time... ive looked their tires up and in many cases they are a ** VERY ** expensive 85 MPH 12R24.5 tires on those..

in my red bus it would go pretty much as fast as I want with how its geared and turned up.. however at 62-65 she cruises..

my DEV bus taught me how to road trip all over again... for a long time i was a guy who would marathon drive at 80 in my car.. passing everything in sight.. i'd get to a destination and have a good time and turn around or go to the next destination...

what I did was completely miss out on everything in between... really i may as well have flew Delta as I wasnt roadtripping i was going from point A to point B..

my DEV bus will run 70 if I floor it and redline it... im sure she would run that way all day.. but I drive her at 62.. and she just purrs along.. I see a sign? i stop.. a road that looks interesting? i take it..

by lowering your speed you begin to find that the highway isnt always the fastest way... oh sure it is if you are running 75.. but at 62 the 2 lane state routes may be shorter.. so even if you are in a "hurry" you can "gain back" some "lost speed" in lower distances.. and you see a whole lot of neat stuff..

me? i stop all the time.. coffee shops, streets to walk, town squares, mom and pop pizza joints.. the artist-brain in me comes alive like it never did traversing the interstates..

I buy busses to enjpy them and build them and road trip them everywhere.. if I need to get from point A to point B quickly I choose something other than one of my busses..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Its not a "hard limit" in so far that no, your tires don't pop 1mph/1psi over their rating.
I never said or insinuated anything of the sort.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International RE
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
I never said or insinuated anything of the sort.
Apologies, I didn't say you did. I said, look, its physically possible- not a reason to do it, however.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:21 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Hell, the only reason I wont get honked at and brake checked at 75 is because its a school bus. The roads I travel most people do 85-95 and get REALLY pissed if your going less then 80.

Our short bus is ~14,000 lbs completely gutted, with bumpers at eye-level to most everything else on the road. If someone wants to get all road-ragey with us 'cuz we're going too slow, more power to them. Its their facial reconstruction, not mine.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Apologies, I didn't say you did. I said, look, its physically possible- not a reason to do it, however.

Understood. :cheers:

Old 08-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
by lowering your speed you begin to find that the highway isnt always the fastest way... oh sure it is if you are running 75.. but at 62 the 2 lane state routes may be shorter.. so even if you are in a "hurry" you can "gain back" some "lost speed" in lower distances.. and you see a whole lot of neat stuff..

me? i stop all the time.. coffee shops, streets to walk, town squares, mom and pop pizza joints.. the artist-brain in me comes alive like it never did traversing the interstates.
-Christopher

Yup, that's the stuff right there! Traveling by bus has really changed our style of roadtripping.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:02 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
Whatever the manufacturer's speed rating is, be it 75mph or something else, is a hard limit. It's the maximum safe sustained speed a manufacturer rates their tires to be operated at. It's independent of pressure and load, as it assumes both to be within acceptable parameters. You might lower the effective safe speed of a tire by running less-than-optimum pressure, but you're not going to increase the rated safe speed doing the same.

Whether you or anyone else chooses to ignore it is a separate matter entirely. The 5psi for every 5mph over the rated tire limit 'rule-of-thumb' referenced in the article you cited makes me cringe.
No its a recommended maximum speed. Raise the pressure- raise the mph. Within reason, of course. Did you check the links?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:04 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Schools very often go 75 or even 80 in school buses.
Drive through the Atlanta 90 mph traffic and try to get across all 5 or 6 lanes to hang a left. You can't at 55 mph. Its simply unsafe to go SLOW sometimes.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:06 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Coaches run 80 all the time... ive looked their tires up and in many cases they are a ** VERY ** expensive 85 MPH 12R24.5 tires on those..

in my red bus it would go pretty much as fast as I want with how its geared and turned up.. however at 62-65 she cruises..

my DEV bus taught me how to road trip all over again... for a long time i was a guy who would marathon drive at 80 in my car.. passing everything in sight.. i'd get to a destination and have a good time and turn around or go to the next destination...

what I did was completely miss out on everything in between... really i may as well have flew Delta as I wasnt roadtripping i was going from point A to point B..

my DEV bus will run 70 if I floor it and redline it... im sure she would run that way all day.. but I drive her at 62.. and she just purrs along.. I see a sign? i stop.. a road that looks interesting? i take it..

me? i stop all the time.. coffee shops, streets to walk, town squares, mom and pop pizza joints.. the artist-brain in me comes alive like it never did traversing the interstates..

I buy busses to enjpy them and build them and road trip them everywhere.. if I need to get from point A to point B quickly I choose something other than one of my busses..

-Christopher
I usually go 45-55. I drive slower than any other "skoolie" owner I know when I'm in my bus. But its totally ok to have the capability to safely travel on the interstate.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:06 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
I get passed by school buses full of kids regularly.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:08 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
Its not a "hard limit" in so far that no, your tires don't pop 1mph/1psi over their rating. The rated pressures and speeds always incorporate headroom into the figure.

I will agree that going over the specified ratings is a great way to get yourself in trouble. Whether the machines will go 80mph or not, whether the tires will run at 90mph or 10psi above their rating is a separate question to whether that is a good idea. Its not.

One, when something happens, and you're operating above spec, that is giving your insurance a way out of paying and the government a pretext to take action against you.
Two, the headroom included in the rating exists for your benefit. The life of your tire is prolonged by operating in spec, versus 100% of what the tire may physically be capable of.
Third, mass manufacturing of anything guarantees some level of variability in top-end capabilities- attempting to go >10PSI or >10MPH may work flawlessly for one tire, but cause another to fail.

Tl;DR: Don't go above/beyond spec, its not worth it. Get higher spec'd tires if you want faster speeds.
I'd be surprised to hear of an RV accident involving a tire where folks had insurance companies accusing them of exceeding a tire rating. Especially at the flow of traffic.
Cheap Chinese tires are almost universally rated at 80 fwiw.