Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2024, 06:47 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnibot2000 View Post
My bus is a 2001 with a build date of 2000. I have a 2000 series Allison. I also have a temp sensor "T" on the cooler line. Located on the right side.

You could just purchase an aftermarket gauge and be stand alone unless you really want the OEM gauge.
He probably prefers OEM Gauge. I feel similarly. You have all of these extra spots on your cluster and one wouldn't think anything else goes there, that it's just for looks, but then there's that Air Pressure Gauge sitting on the top right nagging you to ask the question. "What else goes there? And there's 5 extra ones? It really makes one wonder where can I get these filled in? Non-mechanics mind, I know. And I later realized my bus is just the cheap model without all of the extras, then that feeling sets in, and all you want to do is give the bus everything it never had.

Anyone else feel this way with their buses ever?

nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:44 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post

FAWK NO

I'm past that ****. Function over beauty. With that said. I can wire in a manual overide switch for my electric fan and leave it outside the OEM. I install it, I know how to fix it......not sure if I will. Need to look into it but has crossed my mind. A 30 inch engine fan can use around 20-25 horsepower. If you engage it with a standard transmission or a locked up converter on decel it does make a difference in engine braking on a decent grade or anticipating a hard pull with high temps......wow, that was off topic.

Back on subject, I've installed many aftermarket gauges and works fine. To each their own and I respect the OEM decision.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:48 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
For me, personally, I always want more gauges, but I also understand what they all do, and how all the systems connect up, and which gauges to pay more mind to which times while driving. I believe that the mid-80s GM/Chevy analog gauge-cluster is probably the cleanest and nicest-looking I've ever seen, although I also like having digital signals I can copy and monitor with a computer to look at potential problems if I every see/hear/feel any kind of 'hiccup' while driving.

I've been working on building a solution to do this using a Raspberry Pi and some off-the-shelf components, but it's been incredibly low-priority for me at the moment.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:01 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my book says the Ammeter is part number: 1690290C1

I dont know where thje shunt is located for the ammeter.. I didnt notice my ammeter having the large wires going through it directly.. in most instances there is a separate shunt for an ammeter .. a "sender" of sorts.. maybe its direct but I somehow dont think so as if the gauge was direct, then the bus would be inoperable with the cluster removed and mine still runs..

there are probabkly a lot of variances in these things..
you taught me how crazy the electrical systems can be. Remember there was that relay or whatever in my wiper switch? I don't think I'd have ever fixed it if you hadn't found that.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:08 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
He probably prefers OEM Gauge. I feel similarly. You have all of these extra spots on your cluster and one wouldn't think anything else goes there, that it's just for looks, but then there's that Air Pressure Gauge sitting on the top right nagging you to ask the question. "What else goes there? And there's 5 extra ones? It really makes one wonder where can I get these filled in? Non-mechanics mind, I know. And I later realized my bus is just the cheap model without all of the extras, then that feeling sets in, and all you want to do is give the bus everything it never had.

im a mix... I like OEM when possible.. my red bus eventual end game is for the factory cluster to go away and be replaced by a "factory possible" digital dash..

just like replacing gauges on my Loadstar.. in running stewart warner gauges that look as close to the vintage as possible.. when I put the air conditioner in that bus i chose a unit that looked as close to the under-dash option that was offered by internartional dealers on new loadstars..

that said I wont go to extrene lengths on a bus.,., my EGT gauge on redbyrd is external as I couldnt find much info about the factory EGT gauge and probe.. even circuit board medics didnt have a lot of info.. and I knew an EGT was imperative for an engine getting hopped up.. so I installed an aftermarket external.. melt a piston while I piss around trying to find the OEM gauge or put on an aftermarket one...

I tend to like the clean look on a dashboard.. not a fan of external pillar gauges and underdash hang offs everywhere..

some here have rebuilt their OEM dashboards with aftermarket gauges completely and they look fantastic.. not factory but looks like it easily couldve been..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:09 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Yeah I can agree with that. I like to think of my bus as a classic car, but it's really not. I mean it kind of is a piece of history at 28 years old, and it's the style I road as a kid even though it's newer than the ones I last rode on, the style didn't change at all. It's also my first bus, so for me it's a bit nostaligic. I should probably get over that as it will hurt my wallet for sure. (Already has lol)

I'm sure this won't be my last bus and there's at least one more bus in my future, but there's never one like your first. My next bus I likely won't care and just make it functional.

I love adding functionality to my first bus, but I want to do it in a way that appears OEM at the very least. My battery wiring looked like a highschool drop out wired it up. I did some re-wiring adding a battery disconnect, and it's so clean looking now and the disconnect is a solid upgrade for it. It wasn't a part of the bus itself or intended design to have one, but it's definitely made for it. Mine is hidden as well so it's also an anti-theft addition.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauge, transmission