Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #1

Year: 1986
Engine: Dt360
Transmission Cooler NEWB Questions.

Ok, so yet another "I don't know what that is?" question.

So I have a DT360 Automatic. The radiator is bad. I went to the junkyard and got another one. Sweet right?

Um not so much, the new to me radiator dosen't seem to have a built in transmission cooler..

I thought no biggie I'll go get an aftermarket one, and then i noticed that the hoses are a screw on fitting
Does anyone know what the connector is called, what AN fitting works so I can find an adapter for the ATS Diesel Trans cooler i'm looking at. If I even need one.

Also off topic.. every bus is different. every original owner had the way they ran thier fleet.. I haven't seen one of these on a bus before, it seems after market.. I know its a ?fuel filter? despite having 2 screw on filters in the original positions.. It seems like another failure point.. if some one could educate me on the need for a 3rd filter?
Thanks as always

David Carter
Attached Thumbnails
20180726_172630.jpg   20180726_172653.jpg   20180726_172701.jpg   71S4n-GsL9L._SL1280_.jpg  

HnDracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
That is not a simple fuel filter. It is a Racor water separator and fuel filter. I have a Racor 900FG, similar to that, and it will take out all water in the fuel (water does Bad Things to fuel injection pumps and Very Bad Things to fuel injector tips) and filter it down to 2 microns. After that the secondary fuel filter will finish cleaning the fuel ready for the engine. I strongly recommend keeping the Racor in place, draining out any accumulated water from the bowl, and buying some spare filters for it just in case . . . (Spare fuel filters are like umbrellas - if you have them you won't need them, but if you don't have a spare, guess what?)

Oh, and make sure that whatever transmission fluid cooler you choose has large enough ports, otherwise it will restrict fluid flow through it. If you have 1" hoses, you need a cooler with 1" connectors. I use a Thermal Dynamics cooler with 1" fittings, one of the few made in that size, for my transmission's supplementary cooler before the fluid goes through the original heat exchanger on the engine. Allison transmissions flow more, a lot more, than a typical car's transmission, so anything that's not specifically advertised for Allison heavy-duty transmissions probably won't be enough, and could end up doing more harm than good.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Find a place that makes hydraulic hoses up and get yours custom made.
They have every thread going covered for connectors.
And use only very good quality hoses of any size.

John
Old 07-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
O'Reilly Auto Parts will make you custom hydraulic hoses at a reasonable price. Sometimes while you wait if they are not busy.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Consider your engine well kept with all those filters. Treat it the same with care.

Diesel fuel is a funny animal..not the same from station to station, always gets water in it and does not sit well aging. It needs to be burnt fresh or it gives numerous problems and often hard to diagnose.

John