Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #241
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Yes

I need to get the tire and gear ratio etc values from the 98 ECM programmed onto the 2003 ECM

otherwise yes, it is complete

Bus 89 was completed and sold

the entire swap cost me 0 dollars as I even sold the transmission jack I had to buy on FB marketplace for the same as I paid for it 3

I actually made money to be honest... exactly as I said in the beginning

RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #242
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
Yes

I need to get the tire and gear ratio etc values from the 98 ECM programmed onto the 2003 ECM

otherwise yes, it is complete

Bus 89 was completed and sold

the entire swap cost me 0 dollars as I even sold the transmission jack I had to buy on FB marketplace for the same as I paid for it 3

I actually made money to be honest... exactly as I said in the beginning
Nice work man!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #243
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Thanks for starting and continuing this thread. Somebody is going to need it one day. It was really great to follow along with your work. Congratulations!
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #244
Bus Nut

Yes it is officially done, save getting my speedometer/wheel/ratios inputted correctly

I took it for a spin just now

How do I explain the difference?

HOLY ****!! that is about the best way

AT545 I was pegging 2600 to make her go

the A-2000 I was scooting (unverified, forgot the GPS) at about 60 doing maybe 1800 or so... again I will GPS verify next test run. but she flies I can tell... I was keeping up with traffic and had plenty more.. even uphill

I got no leaks
no check engine or trans lights
no worries

So yes, even if you are a duffer like me with no laptops and no experience
YOU CAN can swap out your AT545 on an IH bus with a T444E as long as your ECM has those J1939 plugs

then you just have to carefully look for an IH bus that has the A-2000 that was installed on a bus that had the last of the AT545 harnesses left on them

This may be good news for those that have already converted IH buses. There are options out there
Old 03-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #245
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Awesome work man.

I was one of the people recommending against the Vista up front, probably the only one who has actually owned one, specifically because of the AT545 and your intention to tow your boat up hills. While I believe that most people would not be able to do the work you've done (hell most people on FB can't even change their own oil), you really made it work. Your thread will help a lot of folks who may be considering the same thing, either by showing them what they need to do or revealing it is a bigger job than they can tackle.

The difference between the transmissions is astounding and I know you're feeling it having driven it both ways. Congrats!
Old 03-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #246
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Awesome work man.

I was one of the people recommending against the Vista up front, probably the only one who has actually owned one, specifically because of the AT545 and your intention to tow your boat up hills. While I believe that most people would not be able to do the work you've done (hell most people on FB can't even change their own oil), you really made it work. Your thread will help a lot of folks who may be considering the same thing, either by showing them what they need to do or revealing it is a bigger job than they can tackle.

The difference between the transmissions is astounding and I know you're feeling it having driven it both ways. Congrats!

thanks.

I'd actually agree about the vista on some parts. Without Air ride it would be the most bouncy POS out there.

However bus89 was bouncy as hell and driving it home I KNEW the missus would not approve with her back.

What led us to the Vista was the flat front and the Air ride.. I could just see it was the perfect bus for the plan. Flat nose at boat ramps is ideal. And the rear lift for the motorcycle and garage. Brokedown's thread also I gleaned info out of that led to this choice.

I Also wanted a T444E as I am most familiar with IH and the 7.3 out of any other bus stuff out there... Also research shows that parts are plentiful, and mechanics also seem to be more available on a t444E.

I knew about the AT545... I brainstormed in this thread many options... and most of the buses I looked at that were T444E were also AT545

Chris's thread got me thinking. And although I did not understand most of it past page 4 I did glean off that physically A-2000 would fit.

as Chris said Redbyrd was a long time ago... and a different application. I didn't have his skills... I kinda cheated.

What I didn't know was that when they built buses in the years of 99-2002 they used up the last of the AT545 harness on some buses... and so there are some that have A-2000 Transmissions but like mine have an "add on" harness for the A-2000 TCM and Economy switch and whatnot.

So in the end I only had to figure out a couple of wires. And they were power wires not signal or Can-bus wires or anything 3 laptop related.

I think the best thing for anyone contemplating an upgrade in an IH bus would be best to read the redbyrd thread FIRST and then Mine..

combined it shows that there are options to the IH folks with converted buses
and until today we did not know this. I thought for sure I would have a NIGHTMARE of cutting into both harnesses trying to sort it all and that didn't happen.

If you are shopping a 2000-2002 donor bus for this swap look at the A-2000 sensors.... do they plug into the BUS CHASSIS, or do the plugs from the trans sensors go into the bundle, and plugs for the bus chassis dangle. This is the AT545 Adapter set I discovered.

a post note on bus 89: After a trans service and flush the AT545 is running great and pulls awesome vs before.. cheers to those that mentioned old fluid and slippage. New fluid was the trick, and its still a new Reman.

Test drove and it gets about 55 or so no leaks, no issues. It's just a basic bus. And I fixed the dash and a bunch of little things.

I sold it to someone converting to a tiny home. I did not disclose the trans swap, but I did disclose bus 89 trans type and all its pros and cons. She does not plan to fly across country, mostly park. I took payments to help out her as a single mom achieve her dream, and I have been helping her with the rough stuff out front until she pays it off next month. We have removed the seats, I have donated and installed a stereo and a few other things as well.

I like a happy ending
Old 03-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #247
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
RolesvilleMarina

I have the urge to give you an honorary title “Tango the second”. Your posts remind me of him.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #248
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I have the urge to give you an honorary title “Tango the second”. Your posts remind me of him.

William
gonna have to help me out there mate
no ideas

is this a good thing?

He a brit also ?
Old 03-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #249
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Tango was a long time member here. He was pretty cool fella that passed away a while back. He was a wealth of knowledge and is sorely missed by some.

And like magna said, the way you use wording in your posts, it's similar to the way he did.

Here is a good thread on him. https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/t...lie-14905.html
Old 03-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #250
Bus Nut

Just Drove the bus to get tacos

took the GPS and top speed (with plenty to spare) was 66 mph and I was at around 2000 revs

shift points seem to be ok... the economy mode does change them

speedo is off (slow) by about 10 moh ish

otherwise

runs like a champ
Old 03-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #251
Bus Nut

Epilogue

Well lads, unless there are any questions this thread is finished

The transmission swap was a complete success.

Total cost for the swap by buying and re-selling a donor bus was around $400 split roughly even between IH programming fees and misc fluids.

I now have a nice vista that will do 78 mph on flat ground with a locking torque converter and OD.

I cruise comfortably with the cruise control on at about 60 mph doing 2100-2200 revs. Plenty more to spare.

Uphill I can hold easily 55mph (again this will depend on grade, but it was a steep sustained hill )

IH dealer re-programmed my shift points and my speedo to the original 98 parameters.

Upshifts and down shifts are good... Engine braking with the lockout torque converter is amazing.

I had no engine or trans codes from the swap. Everything is smashing.

So it's done. Nothing really more to add at this point.

I'll still answer questions if anyone attempts this swap, but mine is done.

A lot said it couldn't be done, and a few said it wasn't worth doing.

But I did it. You can too!

If you have an IH bus with a T444E an A-2000 swap is not as hard as it seems. Just do your research.

I'd like to especially thank Chris for the Redbyrd Inspiration, and the advice and posts here when he had time to chime in.
I also would like to invite him to add any post notes and his thoughts to this thread that he feels may help the next duffer.

I'd like to thank everyone here, even if you were one of the ones on the "prob not gonna work" side.

All input was valuable.. I learned that IH wiring on buses is even worse than my IH scout years.

But now you know... Allison made A-2000 "kits" for buses that have AT545 chassis harnesses... they are out there.

So if you have an IH skoolie and the dreaded AT545 you have options...just look.

I wish you all well..

Cheery bye

dave
Old 03-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #252
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Very well done project man, you had the tools, knowhow and right attitude always. Happy it works really well but was hoping to see it on the launch ramp with your boat. Maybe M will have time to paint it now that your work has been done.
Enjoy,

John
Old 03-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #253
Bus Nut

I'll post a pic one day.

Right now am moving on to the next project

cobbing together an engine driven Air Con system

after a trans swap this will be easy

but will be another thread and not in the drivetrain category

Took bus out again and on the expressway opened it up.... I got up to 77mph before I just felt like that was plenty fast enough. there was still more...

But I accomplished goal which was a comfortable 60mph and I am pulling around 2k revs with the cruise control on.

and am going to start painting the bus soon

dave
Old 03-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #254
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Nicely done sir!

Should really help with mpg and longevity of the entire drivetrain. Good stuff.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #255
Bus Nut

We're still trucking along

got the bus painted..used a roller just like I do the boats.

and most of the interior cobbed all together...

M is going to work on curtains soon.. We ended up putting a 16.5 BTU Roof AC for when we are parked... Still working up a driving system as well, but been a bit busy working on the summer house too..

The bodge on the radiator (that the PO buggered the lines) kept leaking and so I ended up putting in a whole new oil cooler with custom lines

and bought this little combo for the summer house

We will likely pull this as well as the sailboat behind the bus depending on where we go

Hope everyone is doing well

mostly just tidying things up on the bus and hoping the bloody country will come to senses and re-open soon to travel.. Our son graduated Uni so we're ready
Old 07-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #256
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Hows that rooftop AC unit? You like it? That brand is sorta new so I'm trying to get some feedback before making a purchase later this year.
Paint job looks great! I call that shade "conversion blue".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:12 PM   #257
Bus Nut

This unit is dual fan, so one for compressor and one for the blower.. it supposedly will run off an Eu2000 honda

I do know this so far

it is quieter, and it does run fine off a single 15 amp plug and extension cord which NO rooftop has ever done without tripping immediately

And it is seafoam green good sir
Old 07-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #258
Bus Nut

driving this thing however has been amazing...

absolutely a dream
Old 07-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #259
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
You guys got a link to the unit? It looks like a furrion chill but I don't think they have a 16.5k btu version.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #260
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
You guys got a link to the unit? It looks like a furrion chill but I don't think they have a 16.5k btu version.

stand corrected

If you read all this thread you are aware numbers are not my friend

I remember it was an odd "point five" number was all