Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #321
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Oh how weird! Yea I took it out recently to check bulbs and I don't remember seeing any switches... wow, even my instrument panel is Franken-bus just like my Carpenter/Wayne dashboard!!

John

johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #322
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that wayne-ified heat / defrost is a blessing.. much better than the factory mitchell carpenter stuff was.. the mitchel-factory carpenter (yours is a richmond.. built in the former Wayne plant).. driver heater had to be completely removed from the bus to change the fan motors... including removeing the driver seat and floor base.. disconnecting coolant lines.. unplugging a massive wire harness that went through the heater.. .. so thats why whe ni took mine out (because NONE of the 3 motors in it worked).. I rebuilt it with heat / cool / defrost..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #323
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdevloe View Post
Hello, new to forums and don’t know if I’m doing this right. I’m wondering what program is used to change the parameters of the ecm. I’ve read about people doing it on here but can’t find anything. Thanks for any help.
you should likely start a new thread of your own for better success
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:47 AM   #324
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I have the printout at home (im travelling) for the dip switches and whgat to set them at.. in one of my posts in my DEV random thread and also in someone elses rear swap thread I posted the pictures of the manual pages..
I do not remember seeing any switches on the back of the panel when I had it out no.

I do remember having to take the old 99 ECM into IH dealer and they put it on the scan machine and printed up some data from it.

then when I finished the trans swap and was using the 2000 ECM in my 99 bus I went back to IH and they inputted the values with the laptop onto the newer 2000 ECM.

but my speedo is still about 10 mph off. I have gotten used to it, and have the GPS as well.

however next time I am mucking about in there I will check

thanks
Old 06-08-2021, 09:20 PM   #325
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
Some more updates for anyone following still

Seems the mystery plug does and does not have anything to do with the no start issue.

It seems to simply be an access plug, can do more than one thing.

I have no books, no real schematics. so am flying blind and learning as I go.

Making calls, asking on FB. Going whereever I can to try to find information.

Ironically one mechanic actually suggested going here to Skoolie and looking for someone called Chris cadillac something.

On the Vista what I didn't realize is the shifter is "upside down". I admit that when I was worrying about wiring and what not I never paid much attention to the linkage itself vs the position of the transmissions selector.

When I swapped the transmissions the mount and throw of the cable is different.

So on the vista I was worrying about the plug, and in reality the whole time I was in 1, 2, or 4 on the selector when I thought I was in R-N-D.

No worries, I'll make a new label. I tried to spin it around, and if it wasn't for the vista dash style I could simply reverse it and it would be normal. But it is ok, different is good. and it works fine, all gears, no binding.. just "upside down"

I was playing around with bus 89 and even bypassing the neutral safety switch no start. But I decided to try same on vista and it started..
It was then that while moving the gearshift through all ranges I was surprised that all the way down was now reverse.

So the vista is pretty much done. I do need to figure out how to hook up the Economy mode switch but now have a good idea of how I think.

Bus 89 I am unsure why it won't start... is def some kinda safety interlock or something I missed, so that is today's goal. Once it starts I think it will be fine. It now has the 98's computer in it... and the Vista has the 03 Computer... Vista popped no codes on startup and it idles fine, a little lower actually than with the 98 ECM... just a hair.

I'll update again when I get bus 89 moving. Once I can get it out of the way I can take the vista for a spin and see what happens. Other than programming possibly I think it will be just fine.

For anyone needing it in the future I did find out this about IH cuircuits.

Circuit 94 - Antilock Brakes
Circuit 92- Electronic transmission
Circuit 62 - Instrumentation/warning light
Circuit 13 - Ignition 12V pos
Circuit 12 - ACC 12v
Circuit 24 - Ignition

If that ever helps anyone down the line
Hey Dave,
It’s hard to interpret. What did green 125 go to inside the bus? Was it blue 62k?

Where did the pink wire connect? Somehow, it seems ignition 12+ has to connect to the trans harness.

I’m still missing that plug through the firewall and trying to get out of limp mode!

Thanks,
Josh
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:09 AM   #326
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
I operated both.
Allison 643 is not a pleasant shifting transmission.
Your vision will blur, your digestion will suffer, you will chip teeth and rattle random fillings into the great beyond.
Your passengers will demand refunds.
This goes back decades, but I seem to recall the GVWR were similar.
In other words, I see no advantage.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:12 AM   #327
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
I operated both.
Your vision will blur, your digestion will suffer, you will chip teeth and rattle random fillings into the great beyond.
Huge advantage over a 545 that will leave you stranded boiling fluid everywhere or nets you 2 MPG less.. adjust your 643 correctly…, I have a bus with each. Sure my 1000 shifts pretty smooth because I work to program it that way but it’s still a clutch to clutch trans it’s going to shift tougher than a trans with a band or 2.

It’s a bus not a Cadillac
Old 07-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #328
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
I operated both.
A locking TC and a beefier construction overall? HUGE advantages.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #329
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
A locking TC and a beefier construction overall? HUGE advantages.
What’s funny is I find the hard ahifts welcoming.. I come from an era and hotrodding where we purposely drilled valve bodies left out check balls blocked accumulators etc to make our automatics shift as hard as possible.. hard enough to screech the tires lolol
Old 07-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #330
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
What’s funny is I find the hard ahifts welcoming.. I come from an era and hotrodding where we purposely drilled valve bodies left out check balls blocked accumulators etc to make our automatics shift as hard as possible.. hard enough to screech the tires lolol
I think the clutches seem to last longer with firm shifts.

U-joints on the other hand
Old 07-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #331
Bus Nut

Quote:
[edited for brevity]
adjust your 643 correctly…, I have a bus with each. Sure my 1000 shifts pretty smooth because I work to program it that way but it’s still a clutch to clutch trans it’s going to shift tougher than a trans with a band or 2.

It’s a bus not a Cadillac
Thank you for the reminder!
My intent was sharing my 643 experience of decades ago.
American english is not my first language, I acknowledge I can learn better communication.
I humbly apologize for offending you.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #332
Mini-Skoolie

Hello all I need some help on a well discussed topic on this website. I recently did the infamous at 545 to Allison 2000 swap, I have read a lot of the threads and discussions especially from Cadillackid and marina (I know I probably spelled stuff wrong and I am sorry) and there was a ton of great information. The swap is done now but I am having issues, here is all of the known info for you guys to think over.

The bus is a 1999 amtran(international) 3800 it has the T444E engine, It had the AT 545 now it has 2000 series Allison, The donor harness and TCU came from a 2001 international with a T444E and an Allison 2000 series, The driveshaft is shortened and everything is back together, the three wires in the front right of the engine by the engine ECU (yellow, green and black) are connected to my trans harness, new shifter bracket made and installed no binding, the bus starts right up but when you put it in gear it does not load the engine there is no sound change, also you have to rev it up and then it jerks and moves forward and also the same for reverse, the only thing I have left to do is a filter service and new fluid, the trans sat in a garage for a couple of years but it was out of the weather, also I know I need to get it changed from AT to MD but I thought it would at least move ok. Any help would be great this website is awesome so many cool people and great ideas and builds thanks in advance for any help.
Dieselwrenchturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #333
Bus Nut

Did you use the donor ecm? If so I think it should already set properly. Did you get the wiring harness from the tcm harness to the firewall and then to inside the cab? I’m missing that portion currently but my bus moved under its own power. Have you verified your fluid is topped off?
Old 07-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #334
Mini-Skoolie

I did not get the donor ECM it was not an option I am still trying, and I have not done the fluid and filter yet I did not know if it was that touchy or not. and I did not get the dash ecm because my donor bus caught fire....
Dieselwrenchturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #335
Bus Nut

I will chime in on your thread

Also my laptop that had all my notes and photos from that swap died... I have the photos on the phone backup drive as they were took with the phone, and my paper notoebook in the bus.

I'm 99% sure my issue is the old laptop, and that the hard drive is ok... have ordered the hard drive holder kit usb thingy from the amazon and I will gut the HD out of the laptop and grab all those files as soon as I can

Josh this is one of the reasons I have been delayed helping you... but without the other part of your harness I am unsure what good they will do

your Allison TCM is looking for inputs from that... maybe they can be turned off with Allison software, as not all had Economy mode for example maybe... dunno.

I know that the mystery plug I was dealing with, and is explained in this thread had to do with sending ppower on that pink wire so I just linked it up to the one that powers up the ABS controller... the others were lights, etc

the parts that worked the TCM were in that other harness, that CAME with the donor bus I scavenged.. with the big silver plug

Once I get the laptop files I will send (you both) the stuff that ALLISON sent me if it will help any

but in my case, other than the one plug I had trouble with the rest was for the most part plug and play... as I said I read Chris's stuff, and then kinda cheated
Old 07-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #336
Bus Nut

Thanks David!

Quote:
I will chime in on your thread

Also my laptop that had all my notes and photos from that swap died... I have the photos on the phone backup drive as they were took with the phone, and my paper notoebook in the bus.

I'm 99% sure my issue is the old laptop, and that the hard drive is ok... have ordered the hard drive holder kit usb thingy from the amazon and I will gut the HD out of the laptop and grab all those files as soon as I can

Josh this is one of the reasons I have been delayed helping you... but without the other part of your harness I am unsure what good they will do

your Allison TCM is looking for inputs from that... maybe they can be turned off with Allison software, as not all had Economy mode for example maybe... dunno.

I know that the mystery plug I was dealing with, and is explained in this thread had to do with sending ppower on that pink wire so I just linked it up to the one that powers up the ABS controller... the others were lights, etc

the parts that worked the TCM were in that other harness, that CAME with the donor bus I scavenged.. with the big silver plug

Once I get the laptop files I will send (you both) the stuff that ALLISON sent me if it will help any

but in my case, other than the one plug I had trouble with the rest was for the most part plug and play... as I said I read Chris's stuff, and then kinda cheated
Thanks David! I'll be waiting to see what you find in your files. I'm planning to work on it this weekend 7/16-7/17. I'm hoping once I figure out the check trans wire and pink 12+ wire that it will get me out of limp mode, even without the big silver plug through the firewall.

I want to drive my bus!! (and continue the build!)
Old 07-12-2021, 08:26 PM   #337
Bus Nut

July 7th, 2021 6pm
Our 1997 Ford CF8000 has an Allison 3060.
A decade ago, after the starting batteries were stolen (while I was in Wal*Mart in Roseville, California), I acquired two new starting batteries (by walking back inside Wal*Mart...).
I re-hooked all the cables... except one red wire, too tiny -- I thought -- to accomplish much.
After similar symptoms to your dilemma, I traced the schematic back to that tiny red wire.
It powered the Allison brains.
About a decade later, our Allison is going strong.
I hope this helps!
Old 09-23-2023, 04:42 PM   #338
Bus Nut

I just thought I would give this thread an update:

It seems it helped a lot of folks and I am glad for that

The Kaiju is still doing great. It's been like 5 years and we still enjoy and drive her all over

I've never had a lick of trouble.. just oil changes

So if you are reading this, do the swap

It's worth it

Dave & Maryanne
Old 09-24-2023, 06:44 AM   #339
Bus Geek

Quote:
I just thought I would give this thread an update:

It seems it helped a lot of folks and I am glad for that

The Kaiju is still doing great. It's been like 5 years and we still enjoy and drive her all over

I've never had a lick of trouble.. just oil changes

So if you are reading this, do the swap

It's worth it

Dave & Maryanne

im 6 years in on my AT545 to allison 1000 swap and 0 issues with my setup.. and decidedly the best upgrade to that bus ive done.. coupled wit hthe fact I could also increase the engine power level with the Orion Tuner to something respectable.. I have a bus that is very driveable even in heavy city traffic..
Old 09-25-2023, 07:51 AM   #340
Bus Nut

Hey Dave and Chris!

My swap went well when I finally found that one green? wire! She has sat now for about a year now due to engine trouble that I just haven't dug into. I know the engine is a bit tired. So I bought a white bus, same year, same engine. Turns out it has a rebuilt engine that runs perfectly and has low miles (remanned Reviva). I got the 2nd bus for $1600!

I was gonna do an engine swap. However, the new to me bus has air suspension and brakes. It really rides and stops better. Get ready to laugh at me...

I think I want to swap my previously swapped A2000 into the newly acquired bus! haha. She would then be perfect! I've moved to east TN and now have an actual workshop that has adequate space to do the swap at my own pace. Before I was doing it in my driveway in a HOA and was on a time crunch.

My only reservation is that the new to me bus has working cruise control, which I could never get to work on the old bus. I never could find the missing harness that would allow diagnosis for the tranny. I am not sure I want to give that up for higher speeds and lower RPMs...

Also, one reason I got the 2nd bus so cheap is that the rear axle is leaking from the hub seal and the pinion. I'm fixing that currently and found a bearing needing replaced. Working on that too. Not a huge deal since I can take my time out of the weather.

Cheers to my fellow bus enthusiasts!