Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Unitque No Start T444E

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty inclined mechanically but am stumped. I have a '99 International Bluebird with the T444E and AT545 (for now). I have a few starting issues and so decided to make a new thread.

Issue 1: When I crank the engine I can hear some teeth missing on the flexplate/flywheel. I will fix this when I pick up my new to me transmission in a few weeks.

Issue 2: I changed out the fuel filter this past weekend as I am slowly catching up maintenance. I've owned the bus one month. My bus started until after I did this.

Issue 3: I had a battery with a bad cell, and replaced them both about 2 weeks ago. I only crank on the starter 15-20 seconds for maybe 2-3 times and it seems the batteries are already dead again. Does this seem right?

Issue 4: Ocassionally, I turn the key and get absolutely nothing. It seems like a short in a wire somewhere. This doesn't happen often though. I am thinking I'll chase this gremlin down later.

I think I still have air in the fuel lines. I cracked both lines where they go into the heads and get some fuel out. I have the T444E manual and I believe the fuel pump runs off of an ecentric piece. Will I eventually get all the air out? Could I finally be dead in the water due to the flex plate issue? Is there something else I should try? The top of my fuel filter housing has a shraeder valve that I am getting fuel out of too.

RMPs move when I crank, and no lights stay on, in the dash. Some people use ether, but I've always heard/read that it's bad, especially on diesels which have glow plugs so trying to avoid.

My HOA is going to send my a nasty gram any moment if I can't get this bus running today or tomorrow morning.

Btw, I have a '99 F350 with the 7.3. It has never skipped a beat with the dozens of fuel filters I have changed.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I killed the fuel pump? Is there a write-up on how to check fuel pressure? Would it still read good with air in the lines?

Thanks for any insight, and sorry for such a long post. I am getting to the point where I'm going to tow it and wait until the new transmission (allison 2000) arrives. Those missing teeth I think cause the starter to lose momentum in turning over the engine.

Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Should never take more than 5-10 seconds of cranking unless something is wrong.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Temporarily Resolved

Of course, after posting my long novel I got her started. Here's what I did.

Because it only happened after changing the fuel filter that I absolutely couldn't get her started I was still of the opinion that it was fuel related.

I read several posts online to absolutely avoid ether to start most diesels, unless the manufacturer recommends or oks it. I also read to NEVER use ether if your diesel has glow plugs or a pre air heater for the engine.

I read more. I didn't want to try ether...

Then I called around several tow companies to see what they would charge to tow me. It couldn't be that bad, we're only talking like 10-12 miles to my storage unit. Well, the cheapest was $380!

As a last resort, ether it was.

I disconnected the glow plug relay first though. Because ether burns faster it can throw off timing causing early detonation, which is bad for the engine. After thoroughly researching I decided the risk was minimal.

I sprayed about half a second of ether while my son cranked the engine over. Another safety measure is to do it while the engine is cranking. Minimize your use of ether. I read one to three seconds only. I thought I would go even less, and it worked.

She fired up immediately, and ran great immediately. I think I must have had most of the air out of the fuel lines at this point. Happy dance! High fived the boy and prepared the bus for travel. Putting things away, air filter housing back on, etc.

Then I drove her to the storage unit without event. Once I had her parked I tried to start her again just for fun. Nothing. The mysterious short somewhere was in effect and I decided to save that for another day.

I still have work to do, but I don't mind. That's one reason I bought her! It did make me realize I need scanning capabilities, some spare sensors, and I may let International change the next fuel filter in a couple years or 15K miles... probably not.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Bus Nut

CW, even if I caused air in the lines?
Old 11-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
ok first fill out your profile as far as what you have for a bus and that could help identify any electrical issues if any for your starting issue.
ether is addictive to a diesel.
gasoline in a spray bottle through the filter is a better choice and not addictive.
year of build decides if you have glow plugs or grid heaters and location bought could decide if you have either one not all have those options.
did you pre fill your filter?
how much fuel is in your tank?
do you have a sock on your fuel line in your tank?
did your 466 run fine before you changed the filter or have problems which made you think fuel filter?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
ok first fill out your profile as far as what you have for a bus and that could help identify any electrical issues if any for your starting issue.
ether is addictive to a diesel.
gasoline in a spray bottle through the filter is a better choice and not addictive.
year of build decides if you have glow plugs or grid heaters and location bought could decide if you have either one not all have those options.
did you pre fill your filter?
how much fuel is in your tank?
do you have a sock on your fuel line in your tank?
did your 466 run fine before you changed the filter or have problems which made you think fuel filter?
Hi Jolly Roger,
Year make and model and engine are in my first post to this thread. I thought I had filled out the profile info though. I’ll check into that.

Full tank, status of sock unknown, the 444 ran fine prior. I failed to fill filter housing after new filter went in. Bought in Texas.

Of course, I’ve changed the fuel filter in my same year F350 with the 7.3 diesel numerous times without an issue.

She finally started and again ran great. See my second post.