Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2022, 10:39 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 25,500
using Servicemaxx for buzz test

I bought the usb link-2 and downloaded servicemaxx into my laptop. Everything works and it recognizes my vehicle with correct vin, year, and hp (97 t444e 3-box). I am in a no start condition and after a lot of work I believe it may be the idm. I cannot figure out how to do the buzz test. Can anyone walk me through this? If you need more detail on what I have already done let me know. Thanks

Studedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Servicemaxx showed no codes?

Up at the top, it has a "tests" tab. Click on that, click on "KOEO Tests", then click on "standard test". I believe, after you do a standard test, you can then run the injector test that's in the same tab group below standard test.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #3
Almost There

Thanks for the quick reply. I did that. The code I got was 253 which shows to be ecm/idm injection sync test fail. When I ran the injector test I got a sequence of 2 beeps on the laptop that just kept repeating with no pauses or breaks. No buzzes from the injectors. If these beeps are what I'm looking for, what do they mean? Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:34 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studedude View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I did that. The code I got was 253 which shows to be ecm/idm injection sync test fail. When I ran the injector test I got a sequence of 2 beeps on the laptop that just kept repeating with no pauses or breaks. No buzzes from the injectors. If these beeps are what I'm looking for, what do they mean? Thanks again.
Does it show 253 as active? With 253 in the system, the engine won't run and the idm won't run the injector buzz. That's why you didn't get buzzing from the injectors. No idea what the beeps are from your computer.

Follow the troubleshooting procedure for code 253.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:27 PM   #5
Almost There

Yes 253 is active. I have the diagnostic manual with the trouble shooting sequence.I will go as far as I am able with that. The manual mentions several tests that require a breakout box. Is that necessary or can I use a multimeter.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

A breakout box isn't necessary, multimeter and t pins are how I do it. Remove the connectors first and make sure contacts are clean, tight, and look good.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #7
Almost There

Thanks, I'll be on it tomorrow. I am learning as I go, having never done this before.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
Almost There

I realize that this thread is a little old but I am making progress after much study,A lot of testing and replacing various parts all of which cleared most of the codes. I am at the point now where to bus will start but only runs on 6 cyls (97 t444e 3 box). I used technical bulletin for 1994-2003 Ford 7.3l Powerstroke for testing before replacing IDM. Cyls 5 and 7 failed (no ohm reading or continuity). Also those cyls are not squirting oil with engine running. I checked continuity from the IDM connector to the under valve cover harness and do have continuity.

My question is, should I replace the injectors (or rebuild) or just the solenoid, or both? I see that rebuild kits don't come with solenoids. I am leaning towards rebuilding all 8 (212,000 on origs). Thanks in advance
Old 10-13-2023, 03:56 PM   #9
Almost There

IDM_Module_Replacement.pdf This is the bulletin I referred to.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IDM_Module_Replacement.pdf (710.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-13-2023, 09:30 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
5 & 7 are on the same side. Definetly need to check the harness on that side as you may have a bad harness which is not uncommon.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 07:27 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
5 & 7 are on the same side. Definetly need to check the harness on that side as you may have a bad harness which is not uncommon.

+1 on the harness and absolutely positively DONT by a dorman... I have heard of so many issues with the cheapie aftermarket dorman harnesses.. I bought an Alliant under valve cover harness kit for mine when i swapped my 8 injectors.. so far no issues in a couple years..

ive not tried rebuilding an injector.. when i had one maybe 2 injectors starting to get lazy i simply replaced the whole set.. just the way i do things.. a good diesel shop that specializes in ford powerstrokes can rebuild those units for most likely a lot cheaper than a new set, dependoing on whats bad.. having open circuits seems more like hasrness / connector issues... ast least worth pulling the vaslve cover and measureing ohms right on the injector connector itself.. be sure to ohm them both polarity in case they have a flyback diode in the solenoid.. ive not personally looked at a schematic to know if they do or not..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:49 AM   #12
Almost There

Thanks for the replies.

1st. The valve cover gaskets w/ molded in connectors are new (probably
Dorman, I don't remember for sure).
2nd. The test I previously mentioned was done at the IDM connector
with everything including the injectors plugged in. This test showed
an open on both 5 and 7.
3rd. I then unplugged the harness at the injectors under the valve cover

and checked continuity from the Idm connector to the underneath
harness and everything checked good. No opens.
So, it seems that I only have an open when the injectors are plugged in. Have I missed something?
I also checked all of the other injectors as described in the tech bulletin just to make sure I was doing it right and the other 6 tested good.
Old 10-14-2023, 10:45 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
If the injectors are showing open and harness is good then I say injectors. You could pin out injectors directly.

A name brand reman injector is fine. You could always google review the product you choose

Dorman gaskets have the wiring molded into the gasket. Eliminating the seperate uvc harness. All one now. I don't like anything Dorman and try to avoid. With that said I have a Dorman TPS on my truck. $50 is better than $600 that I was quoted for.

My buddy uses Dorman gaskets. Claims he has not had a problem yet. I can't bring myself to using them. 100+volts and 12 volts don't mix well together.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:06 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
I've got to reinforce my distaste for Dorman.

Sometimes, Dorman is all you can find making a certain part... but honestly, pretty much anything else that isn't chinesium is probably going to be better.

Sure, Dorman parts might "work" for that garage-queen resto car that never gets driven, but for anything that's going to see use and/or abuse you'd rather drop another $5 or whatever and get something that's actually made to be used. And let's be real here, the very nature of a Skoolie is inherently abusive on whatever it is that we're putting in, however rarely the Skoolie gets used.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:20 PM   #15
Almost There

Since more than one response has suggested that the doorman valve cover gasket harness might be the problem. What test can I do that? I have not already done to decide if that is the problem.
Old 10-16-2023, 07:29 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ultiomately you test the pins first at the harness connector, if you have fasctory service manual tests fail the meter test.. then you pull the valve cover and test the injector (or glowplug whichever you are fixing).. at its own connector.. if you get bad readings then you kniw the device is bad.. if you get good readings.. then you know the harness or connector is at fault.. esp if you can plug it back in and notice now you have a good reading at the harness connector when it was previously bad.. or if you can see fluctuations in resistance by flexcing the wires / jiggling the connectors.. or if readings vary greatly from device to harness connector.. resistance shouldnt vary much in a 6 inch long piece of wire.. of course oil in the connectors is a telltale sign the valve cover harness has failed as well..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote