Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2023, 11:05 PM   #21

This is awesome and just stumbled across your thread searching supernova stuff. I have a 2008 Supernova 6400 and have wanted a bigger engine with Jakes because I'm always in the mountain here's in the PNW. I signed up just to try to get in touch with you more about your swap. I'm a class A driver and work on trucks so have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge.

Shifty379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 06:34 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Cool project! Did you ever finish up Tim?
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:59 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 4200
Engine: VT365 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty379 View Post
This is awesome and just stumbled across your thread searching supernova stuff. I have a 2008 Supernova 6400 and have wanted a bigger engine with Jakes because I'm always in the mountain here's in the PNW. I signed up just to try to get in touch with you more about your swap. I'm a class A driver and work on trucks so have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge.
Hey Shifty, I have not looked at this for quite time so I just saw your post. Are you still looking to do something with your 2008 6400? If so I would be happy to talk with you.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:48 PM   #24
Almost There

Year: 2010
Chassis: Bluebird Vision
Engine: Cummins 6.7 ISB Allison 2500
Rated Cap: ADA Lift Bus Lift Removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
Hey Shifty, I have not looked at this for quite time so I just saw your post. Are you still looking to do something with your 2008 6400? If so I would be happy to talk with you.
Did you ever get the swap completed Tim? How is it working out? Any long trips yet? I wouldn't have swapped for more HP, but I'd have sure swapped for better reliability, although the VT365 isn't near as bad as the Ford PS 6.0 as far as reliability issues, but let's be real, it's still the same engine, just dressed up differently.

I'm much like you, don't tell me I can't do something !!! DO NOT !!! Sometimes I might even do it just out of spite because you said I couldn't. I also realize guys like you and I can sometimes get ourselves in trouble because even though we CAN do it, doesn't mean we should have. You know what I mean.

But hey, my opinion don't hold much water here on this forum like it does others, but having a skoolie or not, you have my vote to hang out here. You're 100% correct. Your projects and ours do share many similarities as far as powertrain and all mechanicals for that matter. Sure glad to have that knowledge and encouragement shared here.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:19 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 4200
Engine: VT365 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
Did you ever get the swap completed Tim? How is it working out? Any long trips yet? I wouldn't have swapped for more HP, but I'd have sure swapped for better reliability, although the VT365 isn't near as bad as the Ford PS 6.0 as far as reliability issues, but let's be real, it's still the same engine, just dressed up differently.

I'm much like you, don't tell me I can't do something !!! DO NOT !!! Sometimes I might even do it just out of spite because you said I couldn't. I also realize guys like you and I can sometimes get ourselves in trouble because even though we CAN do it, doesn't mean we should have. You know what I mean.

But hey, my opinion don't hold much water here on this forum like it does others, but having a skoolie or not, you have my vote to hang out here. You're 100% correct. Your projects and ours do share many similarities as far as powertrain and all mechanicals for that matter. Sure glad to have that knowledge and encouragement shared here.
The project is complete, at least for the most part. Itís able to go on trips and I have taken it out a couple of times. Life is getting in the way of taking it out more often. I do like the way it drives now with the bigger engine. Big hills are not slowing me down to 35mph any more; itís nice. I do laugh at myself when itís all set up and we are camping in it because at that point I could have a lawn mower engine under the hood and it would not make a difference. The only two things I have left are building an inlet air box to cut down on the turbo noise. And enabling the Jake Brake. The problem with the Jake Brake is the installation instructions I have are very vague. Also to tell you the truth I think I get a little PTSD every time I look at the Allison 80 pin connector. If you did not want the extra HP I would recommend the Cummins 6.7 over the ISL. The 6.7 would fit much better in the engine compartment and you could probably stick with the Allison 2500 transmission.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:12 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
The project is complete, at least for the most part. Itís able to go on trips and I have taken it out a couple of times. Life is getting in the way of taking it out more often. I do like the way it drives now with the bigger engine. Big hills are not slowing me down to 35mph any more; itís nice. I do laugh at myself when itís all set up and we are camping in it because at that point I could have a lawn mower engine under the hood and it would not make a difference. The only two things I have left are building an inlet air box to cut down on the turbo noise. And enabling the Jake Brake. The problem with the Jake Brake is the installation instructions I have are very vague. Also to tell you the truth I think I get a little PTSD every time I look at the Allison 80 pin connector. If you did not want the extra HP I would recommend the Cummins 6.7 over the ISL. The 6.7 would fit much better in the engine compartment and you could probably stick with the Allison 2500 transmission.

6.7 is an emssions engine thiough... if i was going to repower then im going to a non emission engine.... in an international probably a DT530E pre EGR...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:03 PM   #27
Almost There

Year: 2010
Chassis: Bluebird Vision
Engine: Cummins 6.7 ISB Allison 2500
Rated Cap: ADA Lift Bus Lift Removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
6.7 is an emssions engine thiough... if i was going to repower then im going to a non emission engine.... in an international probably a DT530E pre EGR...
That part is true. It does have EGR and Cooler and DPF after about 2007. The good thing though, or at least for me anyway, I don't hear of to many emissions related problems with the 6.7. I've actually heard of more 8.3 cracked EGR coolers than I have 6.7s and 6.7 is much more common than 83s.

I know there is delete kits for 6.7s and there's a caveat to doing an EGR delete kit according to some and it does seem to make sense. If you block off the EGR cooler, you're not getting proper cooling circulation to the back of the block/head and it can cause problems with overheating at the back of the block and last cylinders and you wouldn't even really know it since the temp sensors are at the front of the block.

It would makes sense though, if you're doing a swap, get away from all the emissions you can.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote