Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
My n.c. Skoolie has the same rear gear ratio (6.50) and the 545 but I have the 8.2 Detroit that is designed for 170-hp at 3000 rpm. I can only run 45 steadily and 49 down hill if I don't let off.
I don't know your engine but I have racked my brain for years trying to make the same decision you are looking into.
My engine can't be turned up as far as I have found but maybe yours can?
If I may share what I have found for my combination.
I might have found some advice on how to turn my motor up a little but it would take it out of its comfort zone so my longevity of the engine that is already getting oldish.
So I would like to keep my particular one in/around its factory set sweet spot for longevity.
I can't find my notes on the 545 tranny but they are warhorses without overdrive or lockup torque converters. Add a tranny cooler if you don't have one cause heat is there biggest killer. There is a link somewhere around the mech./drivetrain that gives the specs for them.
With my rear gears I can pull tree stumps/trailers all day long. Just slower than most. If I change gears into the 5 range to get more road speed then I lose some towing power and if I change into the 4 range then I can hit the interstate and make minimum stated speed but can't tow anything.
My solution to get from 45-to closer to 55 is taller tires.
I am on 9r20 tubed right now and want to upgrade to at least 22.5 to get me up to 50-mph.
I am up for inspection soon and my original tires are starting to show there age so I have to bight the bullet and make that decision soon. My DOT inspectors might give me one more year cause they have seen the lack of a lot of mileage for at least 4-years now but for liability wise on them they might not. Either way I have a steer tire that likes to wobble a little between 25-30 so I need to count pennies for new sneakers anyway.
I hope you can turn your engine up without hurting it in the long run.
And as caddilac responded to me once before (not an exact quote) the rear gears don't care how fast you turn them. Put some good gear lube in there and they will be fine.
My only option for now is taller tires.

Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbadackerygirl View Post
Gee...thanks.
It literally does depend on the bus. Year make and engine manufacturer will determine which way was used. If you'd like, you can start your own thread on your particular problem concerning your specific bus and maybe someone will help you. There's no need to get smart about it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm not trying to argue- but if 6.9's with LOW gears can do freeway speeds why are we all so worried about having Allison unlock that extra OD, why are we looking for 8.3's?
Sounds like we should all be on the hunt for 6.9's with rock crawler gears.
Good question. Since most fail to understand the different operational characteristics between an inline 6 and a v8 I'll lay them out. For some reason, oem's decided that v8 engines are more capable of rpm. Its not my guestimation, its a fact. 6.9 idi has rated Hp at 3300 rpm, while the 6bt is 2600 rpm. Why? I'm not an engineer, but my guess is crank length and torsional stress. V8 has a shorter crank and doesn't have to worry about it as much as an inline 6.

Most people buying buses on here aren't speccing them out. They're looking for something affordable with minimal problems. They try to get more mph after the fact. Just because you have a 6.9 doesn't mean you can get away with no gear options. Famousinternetjesus has what, a five speed with a 4 speed brownie? All I'm saying is if my redline is 3500 and yours is 2500, and we both have the same gearing/tires, I will be able to go faster then you. Its not bragging, its simple math.

I just wish some of you guys would understand that a v8 isn't a 6bt, a dt466, a dt360, or any inline 6 cylinder. You guys are never comparing apples to apples when you share your experiences because its simply not the same scenario.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #24
Bus Geek

3500 is fuel cut on a 6.9, or there abouts. What that means is you can run it up to that, I wouldn't run it at that everywhere you go because it will reduce the longevity of the engine. But hitting that rpm isn't something to fear, it was made to be durable enough to hit that speed and not grenade.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Good question. Since most fail to understand the different operational characteristics between an inline 6 and a v8 I'll lay them out. For some reason, oem's decided that v8 engines are more capable of rpm. Its not my guestimation, its a fact. 6.9 idi has rated Hp at 3300 rpm, while the 6bt is 2600 rpm. Why? I'm not an engineer, but my guess is crank length and torsional stress. V8 has a shorter crank and doesn't have to worry about it as much as an inline 6.

Moat people buying buses on here aren't speccing them out. They're looking for something affordable with minimal problems. Just because you have a 6.9 doesn't mean you can get away with no gear options. Famousinternetjesus has what, a five speed with a 4 speed brownie? All I'm saying is if my redline is 3500 and yours is 2500, and we both have the same gearing/tires, I will be able to go faster then you. Its note bragging, its simple math.

I just wish some of you guys would understand that a v8 isn't a 6bt, a dt466, a dt360, or any inline 6 cylinder. You guys are never comparing apples to apples when you share your experiences because its simply not the same scenario.
not all V8 diesels spin that fast... the max safe RPM on a T-444E is 2700... in fact my DT-360 *CAN* be spun up to 3200... though navistar says it will shorten its life.. it wont blow up....

a lot of RPM ranging is as you mention stroke length but also the weight of the pistons.. heavier pistons on a long stroke run the risk of stretching the rod at high rpm and slapping a valve or the head with the piston..

less pistons + same displacement = heavier pistons..

the pther piece is cam profile in relation to getting good low-end torque.. while a V-8 diesel mayu be able to spin fast, im guessing the dyno curve is it reaches peak TORQUE at lower than the 3300 RPM...

if its profile is such that it reaches peak torque well into its RPM band.. then theres a good reason right there as to why it as short gears..

in the consumer world the stall speed of torque converters is a big part of getting rated power out of an engine.. seems not to be such the case in the allison world...

while my T-444E runs up to 2700 (2600 in my case I limited the computer purposely).. its max HP is at 2300.. I like to think the max TQ is a little lower.. cant remember.. that engine is going to "LIKE" to run at 2300 RPM.. and at 55 it does just that... it will GO 65 because I run it up above that sweet spot of 2300..

at some point there was a DESIGN speed for these busses.. and what was ordered... many suburban districts never run a bus above 45 except for a field trip.. . many large city districts have routes that require short amounts of freeway time...

rural districts are in busses that spend majority of their route at 55 or above...

as those of you who work in commercial vehicles know.. ordering a bus isnt like ordering a car... there are FAR MORE options on a bus.. page after page of just drivetrain options.. (well not as much anymore.. like when many of our busses were built)....

im extremely cautious on any older engine before "turning up the smoke".. you take a bus thats never spun above 2400 RPM and suddenly you turn it up so it can soin at 3500... there WILL be some rod stretch and further piston reach.. whats that mean? that nice ridge in the cylinder that the rings have created over the past ??? miles and hours will now be a stressing point for that top ring as it either gets stopped by or flexes to overcome said ridge at high speed... far fetched?? maybe .. but breaking up the rings in a cylinder aint a fun day... trust me ive done it.... yeah on an oldsmobile gasser that I "turned up the smoke" on so to say... big cam, big carb, and blooeey went the top ring in 2 cylinders....

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Lighter pistons because they're smaller could be it too, I'm not an engineer.

Why your t444e is limited to 2700 is up to the engineers that designed it. Most v8 diesel specs that I've seen are rated at higher rpms then their comparable inline 6 counterparts.

I'll say it again, diesels, especially turbo diesels aren't cam sensitive, all the power levels and ratings are controlled by the pump/governor or if electronic the computer. NOT THE CAMSHAFT.

I'd bet his engine hits more then 2400 rpm in the first 3 gears. Its speed limited thanks to Carolina law which is why it wont go more then 45mph. Not because its gear limited, not because its Hp limited, but because of the road speed limiter.

Most districts themselves don't spec buses anymore, they rely upon the dealer to know and supply whats best for them based off what they want. At least that's how it is around here, maybe cowlitz, or wibluebird will chime in for what they see.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #27

Year: 1985
Chassis: International s1853
Engine: 6.9l IDI
Well I have an update for y'all. Turns out I was making some incorrect assumptions about my engine size, I actually have a 9.0l V8. I apologize to those users with a 6.9l that wanted to commiserate. As far as I can tell this means a couple things:
  • A little more horsepower
    A lot more more oil leakage

Here's a link with some info about this dinosaur of an engine, there's an interesting service manual posted further down in the thread.

Specs: 180hp @ 2800rpm
396 ft-lb @ 1200 rpm

The question now is, where is the redline on this engine? I wonder if I could safely adjust the speed governor, I'm not sure I want to put undue stress on this thing. For those still interested at this point I'll post a couple pictures of the Bosch injector pump, which is where the governor is located. Notice the shutoff lever is on the left side and the throttle is on the right.

NCstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Engine governor is in the pump. Road speed limiter should be somewhere on the firewall. Follow the throttle cable and see where it ends up.

I'll have to look up fuel cut on a 9.0 l at the shop on Monday.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #29
Almost There

So what's the real cost to get the gears changed in the rear end to 4.10 on a Thomas and International bus?
CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's expensive enough that most people here say start out with the right bus instead of changing things like rear end gears and transmissions.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #31

Year: 1985
Chassis: International s1853
Engine: 6.9l IDI
Well I'm not sure how I missed that. This thread on schoolbusfleet expresses my thoughts well: link He's got an identical bus from NC.
  • Is diesel runaway a legitimate fear?
  • Can I just pull the throttle cable out of it?

Either way he suggests 50 may be my max speed.

NCstate is offline   Reply With Quote