Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2022, 07:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What the heck is this thing?

What is this and why does it leak oil after my nephew changed the oil? It looks like the hose/pipe goes to the intake after the filter?
Attached Thumbnails
20220612_174435.jpg   20220612_173831.jpg  

Desertsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 3126 Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 84 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsparky View Post
What is this and why does it leak oil after my nephew changed the oil? It looks like the hose/pipe goes to the intake after the filter?
Just want to make sure I'm looking at this correctly....

In the top photo, you're asking about the big metal tube in the center of the photo that runs from the turbo down to what looks like the plenum of the intake manifold?

And in the bottom photo, that's a tank with what appears to be a crack in the side that's weeping oil? Or is it just got oil dripped on the side and it's leaking from that petcock/valve at the bottom of it?
CritiqueThisBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritiqueThisBus View Post
Just want to make sure I'm looking at this correctly....

In the top photo, you're asking about the big metal tube in the center of the photo that runs from the turbo down to what looks like the plenum of the intake manifold?

And in the bottom photo, that's a tank with what appears to be a crack in the side that's weeping oil? Or is it just got oil dripped on the side and it's leaking from that petcock/valve at the bottom of it?
Sorry ive been working in 112f for the last three days. The bottom photo with rhe petcock. It does have a crack so the oil appears to be coming from inside not dripping. It has a hose/pipe coming out of it and makes its way to the instake. It is the rubberhose to metal fitting on the virtical part of the pipe coming from air filter.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:48 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so this looks like its possibly a draft-tube oil catch.. the data isnt filled in but im guessing this is a DT466E?

I can see a rubber hose from what looks like the crankcase vent headed off.. and im guessing into that jug.. thats different from the systems im used to seeing which automatically return the oil to the crankcase..

if it didnt leak before and does now , the engine will blow mpre oil out the crankcase if it got overfiulled during the oil change..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:41 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

This is a t444e 2004ish. Tags in bus all say 03 but title etc says 04 haha. Ok so if its just a vent and it doesnt blow any smoke its nothing I need to worry about correct? Ill drain the excess out and just assume he got it over full. I know he didnt fill new filter before putting it on so I wonder if that didnt have something to do wirh it. Although its not fresh oil thats leaking. Im guessing he cracked the bottle while climbing in and out.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:01 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
my VIN says 04 but all my stickers say 03.
manufacture year and actual out the door year.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:26 AM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 3126 Caterpillar
Rated Cap: 84 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
my VIN says 04 but all my stickers say 03.
manufacture year and actual out the door year.
We're selling a Ford Bus that's the same thing. Was built by Ford in '03 then shipped to a coachwork to be converted to a Handicap School Bus and the job was done in '04 which is what it is titled as.

Every time my brother tells someone it's a 2004 with a Powerstroke 7.3 Turbo Diesel he gets the inevitable lecture about how 2003 was the final year so he can't possibly have one with that motor and.... yadda yadda yadda.
CritiqueThisBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:53 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
The chassis were often a year behind the body. The bus.will be VINd to the body as far as a year on the title.

The 444E was sold up through the 04 model year. For any engine parts and generation concerns of your engine go by the engine serial number. However any 04 should have the 02.5 and up generation.. fords in the van chassis are different than fords in the power stroke and different than the 444e slightly.. certain mods were made so they would fit into a van
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote