Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Question Will this work with the DT466 Mechanical?

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f39/cu...btaa-7479.html

To begin, Allisons are available with an SAE 3 bellhousing which will bolt directly up to any 4 or 6BT Cummins.

But the cool part is that the new generation Allisons now have a single on-board computer that allows them to talk to an all mechanical engine via nothing more than a TPS (throttle position sensor). This is a really huge deal since the earlier models were mind-bogglingly complicated to hook up. I've talked to guys who've spent three years trying to get all the programming & wire harness issues worked out and are still having problems. With the new Allisons, it is pretty much plug & play. The TCM (transmission Control Module) does need to be flashed (they come clean from the factory) but there are already folks out there who can flash them by mail or you can take the unit to any authorized Allison shop and they can do it.

All of this means you can now bolt up a state-of-the-art, six-speed, double overdrive automatic transmission to any early, all mechanical Cummins 4 or 6BT engine.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Yes it will work. The problem is that for most it is prohibitively expensive to do so. Most people will have just as much, if not more in installing a newer model double OD Allison vs the original cost of the bus. If 6 speed double overdrive is what you wish, I'd suggest purchasing a bus that has just that.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yep you can do it .. im a big proponent of building want... CAC makes a TCM and TPS package where the TPS simply replaces the throttle cable the old AT545 / MT643 mechanical transmission used.. so you dont even need any custom bracketry...

if you go brand new or reman allison will proigram it how you like..

yes it will cost but you get the driveline you really want in the end...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The new gen 6-speed Allisons are expensive (almost $8 grand) but really are exceptional transmissions. But be advised that they do not include the wiring harness, throttle position sensor, dipstick or shifter. Those are all speced by the chassis manufacturer and must be purchased separately.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Thanks. Having it your way can be expensive.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

So u say it'll work with the Cummins. Will it also be as easy in my currently'02 7.3 with Allison 545? I plan to drive mine mostly highway OTR long haul , so extra OD gears will save enough fuel to break even shortly
BogistJoeSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
yep you can do it .. im a big proponent of building want... CAC makes a TCM and TPS package where the TPS simply replaces the throttle cable the old AT545 / MT643 mechanical transmission used.. so you dont even need any custom bracketry...

if you go brand new or reman allison will proigram it how you like..

yes it will cost but you get the driveline you really want in the end...

-Christopher
How about a link? I failed at google.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Best bet is to contact an authorized distributor. I worked with Stewart & Stevenson and cannot say enough good things about their service and capabilities. They worked with me to custom build my tranny by analyzing more data than I would have imagined. Everything from engine torque to frontal area, tire size, axle ratio, typical road surface type, vehicle weight and much, much more. They produced a 17 page pre-build report that broke down tranny performance under various conditions and even predicts fluid temperatures in every gear at various speeds. Blew my small & simple mind.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
How about a link? I failed at google.

this is the link on CAC but doesnt show much.. you have to call and talk to them about what you want to do.. but you can get a transmission from them for any project.. they just specialize in cummins to allison conversions..

CUMMINS ALLISON CONVERSIONS

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote