Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Yes another wire removing mishap but hear me out

Hello,

I’ve got a 2002 international with the T444E engine. I have been carefully removing wires for weeks now. Taking some out. Starting it. Checking relays etc. I had already disconnected the rear ac and it ran. Then the other day I removed the dash switch and wiring all the way to the firewall…. Since then the electrical turns on. If I turn the key to the right the “wait to start” no longer comes on and when I try to start the parking brake light comes on and there’s nothing. No click, no turn. Dash goes through start up, meters run their thing. It’s like I’ve read when most people have an issue at an emergency exit. But I can’t find a solenoid for something like a cut off. Unfortunately I thought the wires I were removing were not needed and they are all gone…. Feel free to call me whatever you’d like haha but I’ve been checking fuses, solenoids and switches for a solid week now and I can’t figure it out. No bad fuses. Batteries seem to be good. Everything else will turn on in the accessories position. Anyone got anything? Can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Aamafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Talking Updating with the fix

So I'm posting this to help anyone else that might have found themselves in my situation.

After calling several mechanics I finally found a guy that was retired but used to work in a school district that had primarily T444E engines. He was a wealth of knowledge.

He informed me about the over engineering of the first gen T444E and how they worked mostly on grounded circuits.

Here's the situation that happened with my bus.

When I cut the wires for the 2nd rear ac I inadvertently cut a line to a cutoff switch that I didn't know was under the dash. Ironically I had found the cutoff switch after I cut the wires and had reconnected them, but this was after I had checked all the fuses in the fuse panel. SOOOOO When I reconnected the wire, and was checking hot circuits (I'm Guessing) I blew a fuse in the panel to the ignition. I never went back and checked the fuses. So I traced a lot of wires. Checked a lot of circuits. Drank a lot of beer. Cussed a lot of curse words and checked a lot of forums........ Then I went back to the fuse panel and checked my fuses again and found the blown fuse....... Replaced the fuse. Bus started and runs like a champ.

On the up side while running all my circuits I learned a lot about the buses electrical system and mapped out all of my buses electrical system.

Cheers folks. The build continues.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: 7.3 PowerStroke With 5 speed Transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamafighter View Post
Drank a lot of beer. Cussed a lot of curse words and checked a lot of forums.........
Those three things... Thats where most of my problems lead me to also!

Glad you solved it!
Old 12-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Haha cheers to getting to the next issue.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I've been an electrician for almost a thousand years give or take and whenever someone gets in this mess (myself included) I realize how difficult it is to help via internet. I'm glad you got a handle on it. My bus was never a school bus but there are 4 separate pin switches in the big back door.. One or more of them interrupts the ignition. I'm tempted to leave it alone so I don't drive off with the door open.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote