Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
your opinion wanted... 1958 international/Wayne

I have, maybe, a 1958 international that runs....... I think the engine is a 269 cubic inch or 282 cubic inch or a 308 cubic inch inline six cylinder gasoline engine.....

I have been considering leaving the old engine in the bus..... but, if I am going to be running this thing all over the united states. Am I stupid for doing this? I know I would be lower torque/horsepower yadda yadda yadda.

Should I just change to an engine that has enough brute power to do 50-60 mph up any hill I can find?

Part of me is in lust with the idea of keeping the old motor running. Kind of ego stroke show off thing. "See I can make an old power train work. Hey look at me."

I would not be in the mindset of "have to get there fast". 40 to 50 mph is fine on backwater two lane roads. Hell even county dirt roads...

bigger bus with bunks, I have six grand kids.

and

I already have a a 1954 ford/wayne - short bus that is new.

Your thoughts are welcome.

magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Keeping it original would be cool but to travel extensively in it you might need to tear into the engine to freshen it up as well as changing the valve guides in the head to bronze composition. (assuming current valve guides are stock?)

Reason being there was little to no unleaded fuel in 58, and as you are likely aware, the lead lubricated the valves. Those original steel guides will wear fast as well as adding heat to the upper engine, if run on unleaded on a constant basis.

I'd also look to update the ignition to electronic, eliminating points and condenser.

Good luck on the project, and post pics if you get it...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International/IC Bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78
I think the “keep the original powertrain” thought sounds fun until you’re actually doing it. If you actually plan to use the bus more than a weekend jaunt every now and then, I’d definitely be upgrading to a more modern powertrain.

If it were me, an all mechanical DT466 would be at the top of my list. Some commonality due the inline 6 but without any electrical headache.
RamRod4 is offline   Reply With Quote