Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #1

2001 thomas / freightliner no crank ?

Hello all : I purchased a 2001 35 pass Thomas/ freightliner cat powered bus .the ignition switch was cut out of it and both switch panels (left of driver ) are missing . The wires were cut from the ignition switch and ignition switch was gone ,replaced the switch and the dash and buzzer light up but no engine crank . jumped the solinoid on the starter and the motor turns over . I do not see any vandalock system but there is something not letting current to the starter ? ,the e brake switch was un hooked plugging it back in did not help ? possibly need ing sw diagram . thanks for any help !

Bdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
How long has this bus been sitting?

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f38/3...l-q-29431.html

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #3

It has probably sat for a couple years .It was dumped off here . was an a temped theft , the ignition switch had no key so I got one from a wrecker , e brake on , clutch in and when you turn the key it buzzes and the dash display lights up when you turn the switch to crank everything goes dead . the only safety switch I see is on the double entrance door nothing at the back door . the wiring was cut that goes to the ing switch so I need to find a diagram with the wires leading to the switch to confirm that is ok . If you get under an touch a wire to solenoid to power the starter spins ? thanks for your response
Bdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
I'm assuming you've got an FS65 chassis by the year... Didn't know they ever came with a manual tranny behind the 3126...

That's very cool.

Air brakes or hydraulic?

I found I had corrosion at each major connection from the batteries to the frame, starter, bulk head,
And my starting issues developed a month or more after I first got it running -- I think parasitic drain fed the corrosion...

It makes it a lot harder not knowing if everythings wired right or not but...

The ecm will need a solid 12+ volts to start as well as voltage to the starter motor.

If you're not already handy with a dmm (digital multi meter) it's time to learn.

If you fill out your profile somebody might be near you willing to help out...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote