Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

2002 Thomas Saf-T-Liner Transmission Issues. HELP!

I have a 2002 Thomas Built Saf-T-Liner MVP EF with a Caterpillar 3126 and I believe the allison 2000 transmission. I was driving home on Sunday when I hit a pothole and the front end began to death wobble around 40ish mph. I slowed down and looked at the dash and saw that the speedometer stopped working and I wasn't getting any lights or anything on the push button selector switch for the trans and the check trans dummy light came on. Luckily I was only a block away from my house. I parked the bus to make sure everything looked ok and it would not restart. I've checked all the fuses that I could find and made sure that the electrical connectors that go to the trans, the trans controller, and the push button selector weren't loose and I haven't came up with anything. This is my first bus and I have not owned it for very long so any information will help. Thanks!

MRP.powersports321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Could be a pesky ground issue.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #3

I agree that is definitely a possibility. I want to go out there and start trying to track them down but it hasn't stopped raining since I got home from work. Any idea where to start? Or where might some be that are hard to find?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRP.powersports321 View Post
I agree that is definitely a possibility. I want to go out there and start trying to track them down but it hasn't stopped raining since I got home from work. Any idea where to start? Or where might some be that are hard to find?
Electric is not my forte. Suppose to rain here everyday this week.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Sound like a deep pothole has jarred something in your bus.

Did it bottom out? Check those cables to the tranny going to the computer or wherever, they might have got pinched or cut. Undo them again and spray some electrical contact cleaner on them and into where they plug in the tranny. Will drive moisture out too if any.

Disconnect the batteries for an hour and then reconnect, just might reset some computer issue.

Wobble isn't good, better check why that is.

John
Old 07-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #6

No it didn't bottom out it was just enough of a bump to start wobbling. Which is definitely a problem that will be rectified I would just like to be able to get it started and moved first. I tried disconnecting the battery overnight and that didn't change anything. Also i pulled the electrical plug that goes in the back passenger side of transmission and a bunch of fluid started coming out so not sure if that is a good thing or not....
Old 07-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My Freightshaker has a wobble at 65-75 mph. On one occasion of the wobble, my gauges quit for about five minutes. Not all of them, but a few. A pothole later they were back.
Probably a common issue with a connection on the back of the gauge cluster if I had to guess.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote