Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: GMC Bluebird
Engine: Cat 3126
3116 cat and Allison transmission

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/6165118552.html

Ok, so I am about to make an offer on my 1st bus (please check it out above) and as I am a def newbie with little mechanical background I am hoping for some guidance!

The seller told me it broke a crankshaft around 60k but has been maintained by bus mechanic and the engine has been gone thru, is solid and he drives it every year to Mexico towing his dirt bikes with no issue. He has all records of maintenance since new and bought it from a mechanic for the bus company. Again he swears to its reliability and states he would trust the engine to take me anywhere in the county.

Any advice and input would be awesome, I have done research online but get such varying answers like "stay away from a cat at all cost" to "if it's well maintained it's a great engine, go for it"?

It's an 1992 Thomas with 150k with a 3116 cat with about 70k and an Allison transmission. I do not know if it's a rear engine or not? The seller is asking $4500. Is that a good price?

Anything else a newbie should know about this bus and engine etc? I will continue checking threads in the meantime. Thanks again! PS. I posted a detailed thread in new members titled newbie needs help/counsel

joshjohnson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It's a rear engine.

I'm not a fan of the all black paint job, that'd be terrible for summer heat.

I don't have any qualms about the 3116, or any cat engine in general. They all will break eventually, even sooner if not maintained properly. Cat parts cost more, but genuine cummins parts are pretty comparable price wise so it's kind of moot for me. There is more cheap aftermarket stuff for cummins fwiw.

He doesn't have any interior or conversion pics.

If that bus was in Ohio, it'd be worth right around 3k with an empty floor plan. Not sure what busses are worth on the west coast, or how much of a conversion has been done.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
other thing to note is thats not a high ceiling bus.. doesnt matter if you are doing a roof raise.. but if not and you want to insulate floors and ceiling, its going to be a bit short..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That same bus has been evaluated about four times now by different potential buyers, and it's still there.

As Booyah has said, the value is off. That's a $2,500 bus at best IMO. Bad paint job means a lot of work too.

I've got to wonder why the seller would tell a buyer about a broken crankshaft at 60k. No interior photos likely means no insulation. Bunk beds you probably don't want.

That bus just seems like a bunch of contradictions to me. Who in their right mind would paint a bus black to drive to Mexico? That thing doesn't have AC or they'd be bragging about it.

I'd like to link the last three threads and conversations about this bus but I don't have that good of a memory.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That same bus has been evaluated about four times now by different potential buyers, and it's still there.

As Booyah has said, the value is off. That's a $2,500 bus at best IMO. Bad paint job means a lot of work too.

I've got to wonder why the seller would tell a buyer about a broken crankshaft at 60k. No interior photos likely means no insulation. Bunk beds you probably don't want.

That bus just seems like a bunch of contradictions to me. Who in their right mind would paint a bus black to drive to Mexico? That thing doesn't have AC or they'd be bragging about it.

I'd like to link the last three threads and conversations about this bus but I don't have that good of a memory.
Who needs AC or insulation when you've got a murdered out flat black paint job?? It's all about looking like Mad Max!
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Well that paint job does have a certain cool factor, but probably mostly at night.

Personally I'd choose looking nonchalant over mad max. I don't want to look suspect or dangerous, but I also don't want to look like flowers and puppy dogs. I'm trying to give the "not worth checking" vibe.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

Agreed. I'd have NO interest in that bus at all. guy should drive it Mexico and sell it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
Bus Geek

That or get realistic on the price.

Do you figure they quit going to Mexico or they bought themselves a better bus?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Who needs AC or insulation when you've got a murdered out flat black paint job?? It's all about looking like Mad Max!
ha! i put A/C in everything i get my hands on.. regardless of color
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3116 cat, allison, cat 3116, cost, thomas